Author Topic: Is Brogdon what you expected?  (Read 1443 times)

Is Brogdon what you expected?
« on: May 20, 2023, 10:29:52 AM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
First off, let me preface this by saying I'm not saying this is the cause of any of our issues right now lol, but I'm just curious on what other people's perspectives are regarding the question.

When we acquired Brogdon in the offseason, the main thing said was that he was the missing piece we needed. As someone who wasn't very familiar with him, I was under the assumption he was going to be a point guard who could run the offense and get others involved making it easier on the rest of our guys. We've needed a true point guard on this team for YEARS.

Now don't get me wrong most of the time he's pretty efficient shooting and getting to the basket, but in my opinion he's a terrible decision maker when passing, has tunnel vision, and makes a lot of boneheaded plays at the worst times it seems. IMO, White is much better with the ball in his hands.

Am I off base here? Is he what you expected from what was said when we got him?

Re: Is Brogdon what you expected?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2023, 10:38:02 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I think Brogdan is better as a starter and should be the team's starting PG over Smart.

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 10:41:48 AM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I think Brogdan is better as a starter and should be the team's starting PG over Smart.

I think this is probably the most common response and it's super valid it's unfortunate we never got to see it. Even with Smart out they went in different directions.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 10:50:11 AM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Brogdon is exactly what I expected. Smart player with a solid game. Very good third scorer to have on the team. He did stay healthier this year than years pats which was good.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2023, 11:03:01 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 226
Brogdon exceeded my expectations. He was everything I expected - minus injuries, and plus a much improved shooting stoke.

Highway robbery for Theis, Nesmith, and the 29th pick.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2023, 11:07:18 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
He's been great. Unfortunately for him and White, we need Mr. Smart to be playing more (including in the clutch) because he makes "winning plays" every time!  ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2023, 11:23:37 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Brogdon is the last guy I'd blame.  He plays within his role.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2023, 11:37:17 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
He’s exactly what I expected

He’s been fine but isn’t the difference maker in the playoffs that everyone thought and maybe he should be…. He’s making 23 million this year.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 01:07:31 PM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2023, 12:06:54 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Brogdon is better than I expected. I thought he'd be hurt.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2023, 01:19:34 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

I ll agree here ,  I think he squelched my biggest fear of being hurt all the time.  I think he fits Boston perfectly …..but he is not a whiner type …..or complainer and I believe he is not happy with the WEAK azzed coaching message and confused rotations .  He is a very smart basketball player .  Joe is very young ….stands and watch as his team falls apart from the sidelines too often .  Delayed reactions, not able to make the moves at the critical moment or recognize what is happening.

We can’t wait 5 years for Joe to grow up.

We need a new coach ASAP . And several good Assistance’s to replace the decimated ranks .

I d keep Jays , Rob , Brogdon and White .

Replenish the ranks and add a vet coach like Bud .

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2023, 01:28:25 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85

I ll agree here ,  I think he squelched my biggest fear of being hurt all the time.  I think he fits Boston perfectly …..but he is not a whiner type …..or complainer and I believe he is not happy with the WEAK azzed coaching message and confused rotations .  He is a very smart basketball player .  Joe is very young ….stands and watch as his team falls apart from the sidelines too often .  Delayed reactions, not able to make the moves at the critical moment or recognize what is happening.

We can’t wait 5 years for Joe to grow up.

We need a new coach ASAP . And several good Assistance’s to replace the decimated ranks .

I d keep Jays , Rob , Brogdon and White .

Replenish the ranks and add a vet coach like Bud .

I wholeheartedly endorse every word of this post.  The trades.  And bringing in Bud.

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2023, 02:15:13 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
Role players are never the real difference between winning and losing in the playoffs.  You win and lose playoff series with your best and 2nd best player.  It has always been that way and always will be.  Sure your role players can win or lose a particular game here and there, but you don't win series based on those guys.  If Boston loses to Miami it will be because Tatum and Brown weren't good enough.  There really isn't more to it than that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2023, 04:15:08 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I thought he would be better. I thought he would be a more reliable shot-creator and do a better job knitting together the offense. Make the offense less reliant on isos by Jaylen & Tatum.

Brogdon has done a solid job here but not as good as I expected.

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2023, 04:54:19 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
I thought he would be better. I thought he would be a more reliable shot-creator and do a better job knitting together the offense. Make the offense less reliant on isos by Jaylen & Tatum.

Brogdon has done a solid job here but not as good as I expected.

I guess I didn’t watch enough Indiana games because this is what I thought as well. He looks for his shot first over everything else, that falls in line with everything that hurts this team. Individualistic freelancing offense that Miami is exploiting.

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2023, 05:03:13 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Overall has exceeded expectations, but he's a weaker defender than I remembered.

Not having 20+ turnovers a game has been nice.