Author Topic: Thank you Brad & Wyc  (Read 3114 times)

Re: Thank you Brad & Wyc
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2023, 08:24:55 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Teams are a reflection of their leaders. I'll put it this way. Who would you want in the foxhole beside you, Riley or Stevens? I'm going with Riley every time.

this team was the same with Ainge. we really need to stop being over the top.

people need to take a step back and realize this team has been underachievers and weak mentally in the Tatum/brown era. Stevens lost them in 2020 hence why he stepped down.

they hired Ime and it took them a half a season to listen to him and play the right way. But in the playoffs these SAME issues reared their ugly heads. blowing leads, inconsistent effort, having series get to 7 which shouldn't have. and it caught up to them in the finals.

Mazzulla may be well over his head. But the celtics identity has not changed. Problem is, Mazzulla is more of a brad stevens type than an Ime type. this team needs a rehaul. its massively talented, but lacks the mental aspect to be locked in at all times.

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2023, 04:17:08 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
We play soft. I liked it better with Ime.

Played pretty soft with Ime when we forgot how to dribble and choked in the finals. Could’ve easily lost in the confernce finals and semis with Ime had 1 or 2 plays gone differently in either of those series last year.

Mazzula stinks but this Ime hype is becoming too much for me.

Yeah, we were choking throughout the ECSF and ECF last year under Ime. This year is repeat of the problems that happened in the playoffs under Ime.

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2023, 04:46:33 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
We play soft. I liked it better with Ime.

Played pretty soft with Ime when we forgot how to dribble and choked in the finals. Could’ve easily lost in the confernce finals and semis with Ime had 1 or 2 plays gone differently in either of those series last year.

Mazzula stinks but this Ime hype is becoming too much for me.

Yeah, we were choking throughout the ECSF and ECF last year under Ime. This year is repeat of the problems that happened in the playoffs under Ime.

I still have nightmares about Jimmy Butler hoisting a three that would’ve sent Miami to the Finals last year after a ridiculously improbable late game rally. The 2022-23 team is more talented and not quite the defensive team as last year.  It’s frustrating but I’m not convinced it would much different under Ime.

And what if Al Horford hadn’t suddenly forgotten how to shoot (never mind defend)? I get the old legs, but I didn’t really expect him to shoot 44% from 3 this season, and then really really didn’t expect him to completely lose it in the playoffs.  Al is missing wide open looks consistently.  Didn’t do that all year.

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2023, 06:03:07 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The NBA is a players league. The Celtics organization and fans need to realize we don't have a Jordan and Pippen in Tatum and Brown. It's this line of thinking where we think the team can possibly win multiple titles with that core. It's time to face the facts that they're closer to Pippen and Kukoc. Both really good players, but never won without the big dog in Jordan.

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2023, 06:32:59 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
The NBA is a players league. The Celtics organization and fans need to realize we don't have a Jordan and Pippen in Tatum and Brown. It's this line of thinking where we think the team can possibly win multiple titles with that core. It's time to face the facts that they're closer to Pippen and Kukoc. Both really good players, but never won without the big dog in Jordan.

I did love that 1994 Bulls team. They were so much fun to watch without Michael Jordan. The way they played together, shared the ball and won with teamwork. Pippen in particular was a true joy to watch that season.

Just imagine how much better they could've been had Paxson and Cartwright been younger. Or if Kukoc did not play the same position as Pippen (or to a lesser extent Horace Grant).

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2023, 06:40:50 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Wyc & Brad are at fault here, plain and simple.

Mazzulla should never have been the permanent head coach.

This team is deepest in the NBA, the Celtics should have been the favourites for the title all season.

Mazzulla has turned the Celtics into purely a 3 point shooting team. He’s taken away any sort of mid-range game & ball movement has all but disappeared. Team defence has plummeted under Mazzulla with the exact same group of players.

Look at what Spoelstra has done to the Celtics with Butler, Adebayo and a bunch of role players. How can people say that coaching doesn’t matter?

When Doc Rivers was the Celtics coach, how many times did he get his team a clutch bucket with a genius after timeout play? I’ve seen Gregg Popovich call a timeout only minutes into a quarter because he didn’t like what he saw…Mazzulla won’t call a timeout while his team is being pummeled.

This coaching appointment will go down as one of the dumbest decisions in NBA history.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2023, 07:17:07 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
For comparison, 1998–99 Los Angeles Lakers were coached by Del Harris (former coach of the year). He was fired after a 6 - 6 start and Bill Bertka was placed as interim head coach. The Lakers would be swept by the Spurs in the conference semifinals.

The next season, the Lakers hired Phil Jackson, increased their win percentage from .620 to .817…and obviously won an NBA championship.

Please note, their core of;

- Shaquille O'Neal
- Kobe Bryant
- Derek Fisher
- Robert Horry
- Rick Fox
- Brian Shaw
- Ron Harper

…remained the same.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2023, 10:52:08 PM »

Offline GreenBoomer

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 7
I dont think they were the same with Ainge at all. He had young vets in their prime, along with a young Tatum and Brown, and they played hard. Nobody envisioned Hayward getting hurt, Kyrie leaving, Horford leaving. He brought in Kemba and he got hurt. And he had all those picks. Ainge was great. He had that fire too. Everybody forgets he added veteran P.J.Brown at the deadline in banner 17 year, great addition. Role playing vets who play with intensity are key to winning teams. Gotta have them.

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2023, 11:07:55 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

This team is deepest in the NBA, the Celtics should have been the favourites for the title all season.

Mazzulla has turned the Celtics into purely a 3 point shooting team. He’s taken away any sort of mid-range game & ball movement has all but disappeared. Team defence has plummeted under Mazzulla with the exact same group of players.

Look at what Spoelstra has done to the Celtics with Butler, Adebayo and a bunch of role players. How can people say that coaching doesn’t matter?

When Doc Rivers was the Celtics coach, how many times did he get his team a clutch bucket with a genius after timeout play? I’ve seen Gregg Popovich call a timeout only minutes into a quarter because he didn’t like what he saw…Mazzulla won’t call a timeout while his team is being pummeled.

This coaching appointment will go down as one of the dumbest decisions in NBA history.

I feel like zero is the correct answer. If not, close to it. Doc and genius should never be in the same sentence. I always felt like we won in 2008 despite him (and probably would have won more without him).

Brad was the ATO wizard. I believe Brad could have won with the rosters from the previous two seasons. Definitely this one. But he left his roster in Joe’s hands and eventually got outcoached.

I get the circumstances that led to selecting Joe were unorthodox, had we dumped Ime early in the off-season we probably could have found a replacement with more experience (what this team needs). But doing that in September? I don’t think there weee many viable options at that point.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2023, 11:10:55 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999

I feel like zero is the correct answer. If not, close to it. Doc and genius should never be in the same sentence. I always felt like we won in 2008 despite him (and probably would have won more without him).

Brad was the ATO wizard. I believe Brad could have won with the rosters from the previous two seasons. Definitely this one. But he left his roster in Joe’s hands and eventually got outcoached.

I get the circumstances that led to selecting Joe were unorthodox, had we dumped Ime early in the off-season we probably could have found a replacement with more experience (what this team needs). But doing that in September? I don’t think there weee many viable options at that point.

Quinn Snyder was available. And if he wanted real "assistant coach" experience then Frank Vogel.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2023, 04:36:34 PM »

Offline GreenBoomer

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 7
Danny made some mistakes, the biggest being hiring Stevens. They should beg Bird to come back and run things, if just for short term. He knows what it takes to win. And Wyk should be ashamed of himself.