Author Topic: We Can't Keep Smart & Brown Together Next Season  (Read 9727 times)

Re: We Can't Keep Smart & Brown Together Next Season
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2023, 06:29:17 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I wonder if Sacramento would be interested in trading Sabonis for Brown.  I wouldn’t think so, but Vivek is strange.  I know other players would have to be included to make the salaries match.  Sabonis might balance the team better. 

Anther thought, which I know people will hate, is Randle for Brown.  The Knicks would do it.  Randle would balance the team better on paper.  Perhaps being on a better team and not having to be the team’s #1 would improve his attitude.

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2023, 06:40:19 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Teams like Cleveland or Minnesota are probably very interested in Smart and Brown.

Big time trading proposals:

To Boston: Mitchell, Allen, Okoro
To Cleveland: Brown, Smart, R.Williams

To Boston: Edwards, Gobert, Anderson
To Minnesota: Brown, Smart, Horford

To Boston: Lillard
To Portland: Brown, Smart

Would you do either?

My favourite semi-realistic target would be Tyrese Haliburton, but I don't see any way for a salary matching offer that makes any sense.

Lillard’s age worries me, but it might be worth it to get a championship.

How do people think his game will age?  Fast, athletic shorter players approaching their mid 30s often hit a wall.

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2023, 06:42:12 AM »

Online DocomoCelts

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 24
I wonder if Sacramento would be interested in trading Sabonis for Brown.  I wouldn’t think so, but Vivek is strange.  I know other players would have to be included to make the salaries match.  Sabonis might balance the team better. 

Anther thought, which I know people will hate, is Randle for Brown.  The Knicks would do it.  Randle would balance the team better on paper.  Perhaps being on a better team and not having to be the team’s #1 would improve his attitude.

I'd do Jaylen-Sabonis in a heartbeat.  Randle's an intriguing option as well, though the attitude thing does worry me.  But then again, maybe we do need an **** on this team - too many nice guys who shirk from the heat of battle too many times.

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2023, 06:57:32 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176

I'd do Jaylen-Sabonis in a heartbeat.  Randle's an intriguing option as well, though the attitude thing does worry me.  But then again, maybe we do need an **** on this team - too many nice guys who shirk from the heat of battle too many times.

Both those trades make the Celtics significantly worse but whatever makes you feel better

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2023, 07:17:37 AM »

Online DocomoCelts

• Sam Hauser

Both those trades make the Celtics significantly worse but whatever makes you feel better

Feel better? Lol, only if the Sabonis trade actually happens.  I can see Brad just running everything back, and we can celebrate our token playoffs appearance in the next few seasons.

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2023, 07:24:36 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176

Feel better? Lol, only if the Sabonis trade actually happens.  I can see Brad just running everything back, and we can celebrate our token playoffs appearance in the next few seasons.

Yeah, because getting sabonis would really change our fortunes.
Dude lost in the first round, mostly disappearing including a 7 point game 6… so yeah maybe he would fit in just fine.

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2023, 07:28:17 AM »

Online DocomoCelts

• Sam Hauser

Yeah, because getting sabonis would really change our fortunes.
Dude lost in the first round, mostly disappearing including a 7 point game 6… so yeah maybe he would fit in just fine.

Like I said, I'd take him. We'll just have to wait and see if it really happens, won't we?  Unless you're back from the future and have seen things.

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2023, 07:47:49 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'd sell high on Brown.
  • He's a terrific open-court player, but he's out of control when taking decisions with the ball in his hands in the half court. He's nothing special as a shooter either in order to thrive off of Tatum. Fwiw, the advanced stats are low on his game as well.
  • He's about to become massively overpaid. I don't think he deserves the supermax.

The general idea would be Brown for Mikal Bridges+.

For instance
  • Brown for Bridges + DFS
  • Brown for Bridges + Claxton
  • Brown + filler for Bridges + Dinwiddie
  • 3-way with the Hawks: Brown + Pritchard to Atlanta, Trae to Brooklyn, Bridges + DFS + Okongwu to Boston (personally, this would be my favorite package)

Feel free to include pick(s) if you deem it necessary.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 08:05:05 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2023, 08:20:41 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
here come the over-reactions..... ::)

trade brown for pennies on the dollar because we didn't make the finals!! make our team worse because brown was bad in a series!! because tatum and a bunch of lesser players is much better...... thats ensuring you never will make the finals again...

Brown has improved every year and if you have a player like that who is young you keep them. and let them grow. he's still not yet in his prime. does he have warts? yes. but trading him because you lost a playoff series is just massive overreaction.

don't be the Oklahoma city thunder who dismantled westbrook/KD/Harden.

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2023, 08:27:45 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
I'd sell high on Brown.
  • He's a terrific open-court player, but he's out of control when taking decisions with the ball in his hands in the half court. He's nothing special as a shooter either in order to thrive off of Tatum. Fwiw, the advanced stats are low on his game as well.
  • He's about to become massively overpaid. I don't think he deserves the supermax.

The general idea would be Brown for Mikal Bridges+.

For instance
  • Brown for Bridges + DFS
  • Brown for Bridges + Claxton
  • Brown + filler for Bridges + Dinwiddie
  • 3-way with the Hawks: Brown + Pritchard to Atlanta, Trae to Brooklyn, Bridges + DFS + Okongwu to Boston (personally, this would be my favorite package)

Feel free to include pick(s) if you deem it necessary.

I would do this seven days out of the week and twice on sunday. Sort of makes sense, too. Jaylen goes to a team that will make him the face of the franchise and pay him, Celtics get more depth and toughness. Also, I don't think the gap between Brown and Bridges is as big as some may think.

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2023, 08:35:23 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

trade brown for pennies on the dollar because we didn't make the finals!! make our team worse because brown was bad in a series!! because tatum and a bunch of lesser players is much better...... thats ensuring you never will make the finals again...

Brown has improved every year and if you have a player like that who is young you keep them. and let them grow. he's still not yet in his prime. does he have warts? yes. but trading him because you lost a playoff series is just massive overreaction.

Trading Brown for pennies on the dollar would obviously be a mistake, but I don't think anybody is recommending that. If we're being honest, this team pretty much has a floor of 2nd round playoff team for the next decade with Tatum and anybody you surround him with. We are lucky to be in the situation we are in.

I agree that we shouldn't just trade Brown - he is a deserving All-NBA player who has improved every year he has been in this league - but it's also possible that someone else might better complement Tatum. I also think we have him for at least one more season anyway. He would be foolish to decline a supermax extension and it would be difficult to trade him this offseason unless he chooses his destination (but then you are limited in what assets you get back).

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2023, 08:37:36 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Not blaming Jalen or Jason .  But as the stars they need to get in Smarts and Grants face ,  on court and not let them do stupid poop . 

The whole thing fell off the Cliff when Ime was canned .  He had them right to edge , and I think they knew their roles and were ready to try again.

Now they are lost like with Brad once again without a strong voice and guidance.

Smart needs a strong coach to force him to play offense correct or sit . Or just get rid of him.
Al is getting on in years , we need another real center . Rob is too fragile to rely upon.

It’s a mental mess . Lost control , no authority figure , no on court leader .

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2023, 08:44:13 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Not blaming Jalen or Jason .  But as the stars they need to get in Smarts and Grants face ,  on court and not let them do stupid poop . 

The whole thing fell off the Cliff when Ime was canned .  He had them right to edge , and I think they knew their roles and were ready to try again.

Now they are lost like with Brad once again without a strong voice and guidance.

Smart needs a strong coach to force him to play offense correct or sit . Or just get rid of him.
Al is getting on in years , we need another real center . Rob is too fragile to rely upon.

It’s a mental mess . Lost control , no authority figure , no on court leader .

Mazzula is in over his head, but let’s cool it with the revisionist history of Udoka.  They struggled to get to the Finals last year and then lost three straight games to a Warriors team that has proven this year to be fraudulent by losing to an average Lakers team.

They’ve been inconsistent, regardless of the coach.  There are player issues that need to be dealt with as well.

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2023, 09:11:28 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365

Trading Brown for pennies on the dollar would obviously be a mistake, but I don't think anybody is recommending that. If we're being honest, this team pretty much has a floor of 2nd round playoff team for the next decade with Tatum and anybody you surround him with. We are lucky to be in the situation we are in.

I agree that we shouldn't just trade Brown - he is a deserving All-NBA player who has improved every year he has been in this league - but it's also possible that someone else might better complement Tatum. I also think we have him for at least one more season anyway. He would be foolish to decline a supermax extension and it would be difficult to trade him this offseason unless he chooses his destination (but then you are limited in what assets you get back).

brown is a 26 year old all pro player. Trading him for some high quality role players or a sabonis would be a massive/huge mistake that would set the franchise back.

and the same posters here would be chastising the front office in the future. Even if you haven't won a finals yet you DO NOT trade those type of players. Fans are such over-reacting here. Last series when tatum was underperforming and brown was putting up 25-30 people were clamoring to trade tatum instead...these are over-reactions.

We would become the OKC thunder. A team that should've won a championship but they traded Harden prematurely before he became an all-star

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2023, 09:21:26 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I’m moving brown or smart or both this off-season