Author Topic: We Can't Keep Smart & Brown Together Next Season  (Read 9636 times)

Re: We Can't Keep Smart & Brown Together Next Season
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2023, 11:36:18 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
Smart and Brown are not high IQ players. Smart has to go since he’s less talented and just makes bad decisions with the ball too often. Can’t have that with your starting PG. As soon as JB signs his extension, send Marcus packing.

Is Wyc going to even be willing to pay that much money to Brown after how awful he's been this playoffs, particularly lately?

But I agree something has to give. Brown is not a good enough or complete enough player as your second star to justify a combo guard like Smart. Need another playmaker to help Tatum out.

Either try to find a star swap for JB, or you have to upgrade in playmaking at the point guard position. Maybe we can turn two of Smart, White, and Brogdon into an actual quality starting point guard who can playmake and control the game. Smart just can't do it consistently enough.

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2023, 11:38:26 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Send Al to the pasture also. He’s cooked

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2023, 11:39:12 PM »

Online Indocelts

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 230
Need to trade JB. Give him the max and trade him for a veteran Star. Or trade JB + Smart for Beal and a center.

I have come to a conclusion that JB and JT doesnt complement each other. Looks like JB doesn't accept his Robin role to the detriment of the team, as seen lately in the playoffs. We don't want to be the Blazers of the East with 2 stars that never get there.

And Joe needs to go as well.

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2023, 11:42:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Smart just does the same dumb things over and over and over smh . He used to make up for his dummy plays with his hustle plays and defense.  But he seems more injured and less likely to play that lock down defense much longer .

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2023, 11:43:03 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
Smart should have been traded long ago.

Brown doesn’t deserve a max deal. Trade him they off season for trey young or someone that can contribute

SEND BROWN PACKING

SHOULDA GOT KD
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2023, 11:43:57 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Smart and Brown are not high IQ players. Smart has to go since he’s less talented and just makes bad decisions with the ball too often. Can’t have that with your starting PG. As soon as JB signs his extension, send Marcus packing.

Is Wyc going to even be willing to pay that much money to Brown after how awful he's been this playoffs, particularly lately?

But I agree something has to give. Brown is not a good enough or complete enough player as your second star to justify a combo guard like Smart. Need another playmaker to help Tatum out.

Either try to find a star swap for JB, or you have to upgrade in playmaking at the point guard position. Maybe we can turn two of Smart, White, and Brogdon into an actual quality starting point guard who can playmake and control the game. Smart just can't do it consistently enough.

But Brown hasn't been awful in the playoffs overall.  That just isn't true.  He has  been good overall in this playoffs.  This is a huge over-reaction to one game.  Brown has one bad shooting game, and a bunch of you are racing for your pitchforks because you don't like Brown.  I get it we are all mad that we lost.  But the real issue is our coach.  If Joe makes two adjustments tonight in the 4th quarter, we win the game.  You wanna run someone out of town, run the coach out of town.

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2023, 11:50:56 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273
i posted this in another thread more than 1.5 years ago, and it’s amazing how little has changed.

it’s clear this team isn’t going anywhere meaningful with JT, JB, and marcus as the team’s core. at this point in their tenure, i have zero issue with hard fought losses to elite teams, but we’re still losing (and getting blown out) to lottery teams due to lazy defense, selfish offense, low IQ ball, and overall lack of effort or give-a-sh*t.

continuing to add role players and massage the roster while we wait for the j’s to mature isn’t working. it’s year five of the core playing together and can anyone honestly say this team is trending in the right direction? based on unbiased visual evidence, are they improving in any significant capacity? it’s clear they’re regressing at an alarming rate and it’s occurred across multiple seasons, coaches, gm’s, rosters/teammates, etc.

in spite of the myriad of changes, something is intrinsically wrong with the core of this team. it’s becoming more apparent there’s a cancer on this team that’s worsening and talent is no longer enough to overcome it. time for a major shakeup while the assets have high perceived value.

consequently, brad needs to be aggressive and creative before the trade deadline, and breakup the core. first of all, package marcus and get as much value as possible from teams desperate for a lockdown defender, while freeing up valuable cap space. quietly dangle JB and/or JT before the deadline and try to get a king’s ransom, which must include a truly elite player, and an appropriate supporting player(s) that fills a current gap (e.g. pure shooting two-guard), or draft picks. don’t pull the trigger unless it’s a no-brainer trade package that values one or both J’s at their “perceived” potential. only keep one of the core players if brad and ime are certain this player isn’t the cancer and will thrive within the newly constructed team.

i know, celtic’s fans…ThEy’Re OnLy 23 & 25, and YoU’rE cRaZy tO tRaDe a “tOp-15” player!!! is he though? what has he consistently proven vs. what’s our emotional valuation of his future potential? he’s an inconsistently elite shooter who can put up big numbers when his iso, step-back three-ball is falling. when it’s not (which is far too often for an emerging elite player) he can be a liability. he’s mentally soft, not a leader, doesn’t seem to possess the win-at-all-costs killer instinct, he sulks and argues calls too often, his decision making at critical times forces questions about his bball IQ, and he plays with low effort far too often. even in games when he’s scoring like an elite player, he disappears in large spurts. he possesses elite defensive ability but recently hasn’t put forth much effort on this side of the court. finally, he doesn’t make the players around him better.

are the C’s currently better when JT is on the floor? no doubt. but are the C’s championship contenders with JT as the team’s elite player? i say no; JT’s not that guy and never will be.

i understand this is a controversial opinion, but imo brad needs to sell high before the league figures it out and trade value drops precipitously. if brad decides to hold long term and misses the window, it’s going to be a long decade, C’s fans.

the trade deadline is typically post all-star game. if we’re still playing then as we are currently, how would you advise trader bradly? status quo? trade marcus? trade JT, JB, or both? shake up the remaining roster again?

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2023, 11:53:11 PM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

The problem is if we give JB the supermax, he can’t be traded for a year. If we try to trade him in the offseason, he’ll have really low value as he’s an UFA when his current deal expires at the end of next season. Brad will need to be creative on this one. I think give him the supermax and see how it goes next year with a new coach?

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2023, 11:54:13 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

The problem is if we give JB the supermax, he can’t be traded for a year. If we try to trade him in the offseason, he’ll have really low value as he’s an UFA when his current deal expires at the end of next season. Brad will need to be creative on this one. I think give him the supermax and see how it goes next year with a new coach?

then trade smart and get an upgrade at PG
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2023, 11:54:31 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919

That's the problem. Very unclear whether they will do a new coach, even though it's clear Joe needs a few years at least before even being considered for this kind of job.

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2023, 11:56:16 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
Send Al to the pasture also. He’s cooked

yup he is sone like dinner as well

if gallinari can shoot threes

get a big who can post up low

we need that for years
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2023, 11:57:03 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Smart at best should be the 6th man with brogdan starting at the PG.

Brown needs to go. He is the most selfish player I have seen. Also dumb.

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2023, 12:00:18 AM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Smart at best should be the 6th man with brogdan starting at the PG.

Brown needs to go. He is the most selfish player I have seen. Also dumb.

That last Smart turnover was really a punch in the gut.

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2023, 06:06:06 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Teams like Cleveland or Minnesota are probably very interested in Smart and Brown.

Big time trading proposals:

To Boston: Mitchell, Allen, Okoro
To Cleveland: Brown, Smart, R.Williams

To Boston: Edwards, Gobert, Anderson
To Minnesota: Brown, Smart, Horford

To Boston: Lillard
To Portland: Brown, Smart

Would you do either?

My favourite semi-realistic target would be Tyrese Haliburton, but I don't see any way for a salary matching offer that makes any sense.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 06:27:07 AM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2023, 06:28:51 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Teams like Cleveland or Minnesota are probably very interested in Smart and Brown.

Big time trading proposals:

To Boston: Mitchell, Allen, Okoro
To Cleveland: Brown, Smart, R.Williams

To Boston: Edwards, Gobert, Anderson
To Minnesota: Brown, Smart, Horford

To Boston: Lillard
To Portland: Brown, Smart

Would you do either?

My favourite semi-realistic target would be Tyrese Haliburton, but I don't see any way for a salary matching offer that makes any sense.

Smart and brown have literally won more in this league then any of those guys you wanna trade for…the irony.