Author Topic: RIP - Jim Brown  (Read 2446 times)

RIP - Jim Brown
« on: May 19, 2023, 03:42:28 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The greatest RB in history died at 87.  His overall legacy will be interesting given some of the conduct issues but his football legacy is set in stone as the greatest to ever do it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Jim Brown Dead at 87
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 03:43:49 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Per AP & other outlets.

https://apnews.com/article/nfl-jim-brown-03d88c7da08840a0921ae8d8dd0a6aaa?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=AP_NFL

AP NFL
@AP_NFL
BREAKING: Jim Brown, a Pro Football Hall of Famer who retired at the peak of his brilliant career to become an actor as well as a prominent civil rights advocate, has died. He was 87.

Purely on field, he is arguably the greatest RB to play the game and one of the greatest players in NFL history.  He was also an incredible lacrosse player and is actually in the lacrosse HOF.

Off the field, his legacy is somewhat less than stellar.  He was a civil rights advocate but also has a pretty atrocious history of domestic violence & abuse. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: RIP - Jim Brown
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 03:52:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Respect to his athletic and civil rights legacy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 03:53:18 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Respect to his athletic and civil rights legacy.

Yeah, this is a complicated one for me.  By most accounts, he was a POS in his private life.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 03:54:33 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I think this does a pretty good job of capturing the complete Jim Brown legacy.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2023/05/jim-brown-cleveland-browns-and-nfl-legend-dies-at-87.html

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 04:11:39 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
The greatest RB in history died at 87.  His overall legacy will be interesting given some of the conduct issues but his football legacy is set in stone as the greatest to ever do it.

I'm not sure that his legacy is set in stone as the GOAT. He played for 9 years. Barry Sanders played for 10 and many think that was short for an all time great.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2023, 04:15:48 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I'm not sure that his legacy is set in stone as the GOAT. He played for 9 years. Barry Sanders played for 10 and many think that was short for an all time great.

Walter Payton is definitely in the argument too.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2023, 04:19:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
It’s …odd ….I was child , don’t recall his football fame nearly as much as how he was associated with several big box office movies and hype for years .  I liked his action acting . The movies played over and over for decades

RIP

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2023, 04:39:23 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

except they've done countless lists after all 3 of those guys played.  Brown was at the top of every single one of them.  Heck in the top 100 list in 2010 he was 2nd in all positions to only Rice (he'd probably be 3rd now if they redid with Brady being 1, Rice 2, and Brown 3).  At the time of the top 100, Payton was 5th, Sanders was 17th, and Smith was 28th.

It is pretty much inarguable, Brown is the greatest RB ever and probably will be for ever given how the game is played now.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2023, 04:47:38 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

except they've done countless lists after all 3 of those guys played.  Brown was at the top of every single one of them.  Heck in the top 100 list in 2010 he was 2nd in all positions to only Rice (he'd probably be 3rd now if they redid with Brady being 1, Rice 2, and Brown 3).  At the time of the top 100, Payton was 5th, Sanders was 17th, and Smith was 28th.

It is pretty much inarguable, Brown is the greatest RB ever and probably will be for ever given how the game is played now.

Stuff like this is always going to be debated.  Nothing is inarguable.  That's silly.

For my money, Brown is #1 but there's always some compelling arguments about others.

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2023, 04:50:53 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

What does "pretty much inarguable" mean? It can or can't be argued?

I'm not saying that he's not the best. I just think its possible to have a different opinion. Especially when that player played before the Super Bowl era when football players were slower, smaller, and generally less athletic. The league has changed a lot since Brown retired.

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2023, 04:53:29 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Stuff like this is always going to be debated.  Nothing is inarguable.  That's silly.

For my money, Brown is #1 but there's always some compelling arguments about others.
Well a crazy person could argue Rice isn't the greatest WR, Brady isn't the greatest QB, and LT isn't the greatest LB, but just as with Brown at RB it is silly and they can be disregarded as a crazy person (at least right now, who knows what some future player will be).

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2023, 05:05:06 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Well a crazy person could argue Rice isn't the greatest WR, Brady isn't the greatest QB, and LT isn't the greatest LB, but just as with Brown at RB it is silly and they can be disregarded as a crazy person (at least right now, who knows what some future player will be).

I think Brady and Rice are the only two clear-cut players at their position. There have been more talented players, such as Mahomes and Moss. Brady and Rice's winning/longevity put them over the top for me.

LT is better than Ray Lewis, but I don't think there's a huge divide.

I also think Brown was better than Sanders, Payton, and Emmitt. I think he'd have a stronger case if he had the longevity of Emmitt/Ladanian/Adrian and wasn't as big as linemen (apparently he played at 230 lbs). It would be cool to see a RB dominate today at 300lbs. It's the equivalent of Wilt Chamberlain scoring 100 points on 6'5 guys.

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2023, 05:49:49 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
He was dominant - man among boys.  Also nice run in the Dirty Dozen!

Don't know who GOAT RB is - impossible to be definitive and it doesn't matter much to me.  He was awesome to watch, though I was young when he retired and my memories are vague and probably of his final season.  Seemed larger than life.

I think Jim Brown is a classic example of a complex individual.  Like a lot of players of his era, who knows how many concussions he had and in what ways that may have impacted his life -- not to mention other body parts.  No excuse for the violence. Also great lacrosse player.  May at one time have been GOAT in 2 sports.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 08:02:31 PM by Neurotic Guy »