Author Topic: Heat (1-0) at Celtics (0-1) ECF Game #2 5/19/23  (Read 31584 times)

Re: Heat (1-0) at Celtics (0-1) ECF Game #2 5/19/23
« Reply #1050 on: May 20, 2023, 03:04:02 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!

ESPN is just jinxing the C's at this point. Even last year's Finals, it was always high for Boston yet Golden State won it all relatively easily after Game 3. If we fall behind 3-0 I bet it'll still be like 55-45 C's  ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1051 on: May 20, 2023, 03:27:46 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I'm totally frustrated and disappointed with the Celtics as everyone is. However, let's look at the other side of things. The Heat have steamrolled the Bucks, the Knicks, and now are doing the same to us. What the heck are they doing right with such a limited set of talent? Is there something there that we can use for own success?

« Reply #1052 on: May 20, 2023, 03:29:29 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I'm totally frustrated and disappointed with the Celtics as everyone is. However, let's look at the other side of things. The Heat have steamrolled the Bucks, the Knicks, and now are doing the same to us. What the heck are they doing right with such a limited set of talent? Is there something there that we can use for own success?

They have an actual Head Coach-running plays, while we're running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #1053 on: May 20, 2023, 03:30:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Actual head coach. Shooters who are shooting well again (they struggled regular season actually). And guys who aren't afraid of the big moments late. Butler obviously, but even some of the others look like they can play in the moment. Bam made some good plays, and obviously Vincent also hit that HUGE shot with 40 seconds left. We have a bunch of headless chickens running around in the final 2 minutes when it's a 1-2 possession game on both ends

« Reply #1054 on: May 20, 2023, 03:35:59 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

They have an actual Head Coach-running plays, while we're running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

Does that also explain them steamrolling the Bucks and the Knicks? There's something deeper into what Spoelstra is doing with that roster to explain their run.

« Reply #1055 on: May 20, 2023, 04:11:20 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Does that also explain them steamrolling the Bucks and the Knicks? There's something deeper into what Spoelstra is doing with that roster to explain their run.

I believe you're overthinking this.

The Bucks are getting old and have been slowly leaving their top spot in the East. Add to that the injury of Antetokounmpo and his struggles to lead the offense during crunch time, where "building a wall" has previously (2020) been a very effective strategy for the Heat. It was an upset, but the Bucks always seemed vulnerable to me.

The Knicks play hard and strong defense, but when Brunson and Randle are your best players a second round exit is actually a fine accomplishment. The Knicks also lack experience. It wasn't a surprise that they lost to the Heat.

Also remember the NBA Finals in 2020 where the Heat won two games and could have really challenged the Lakers if the team didn't suffer so many injuries. Butler took that team on his back as he's doing now. Over the years Butler has always been underrated. A long time Paul George was regarded as a better player, which is simply untrue.

All the advanced stats indicate that Butler is a top 5 player in the NBA, but until now he never got that recognition. Lots of Celtics fans incorrectly thought Tatum to be a bigger star. And that's not a diss on Tatum. Currently Butler after Jokic is the best player remaining in the playoffs and that accounts for a lot.

Nonetheless the Celtics have such a deep roster it's inexcusable to lose two home games. This Celtics team is absolutely not playing at his best, while the Heat are. But I expect the Nuggets to take care of the Heat if it comes to that. For me the only legit championship teams are the Celtics and the Nuggets, unfortunately the Celtics aren't consistently playing like that and therefore Jokic and the Nuggets deserve to take the title.

« Reply #1056 on: May 20, 2023, 04:14:35 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The Cs have a loser DNA. They can’t get over the hump because they don’t know how to win. No one on the roster has a championship. They have been in this spot like 5 times in the last few years and have always come up short. Add a rookie coach who doesn’t know what he is doing and it’s the blind leading the blind.

« Reply #1057 on: May 20, 2023, 04:20:56 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

The Heat are like one of those College Basketball programs with an excellent coach, that have good, but not great players, but the guys all buy in and play their role to a T. Some of the Villanova and Michigan State teams of past years come to mind.  They are able to beat the more talented teams that have top recruits due to execution, defensive effort, and guys being unselfish. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 07:33:01 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1058 on: May 20, 2023, 05:46:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I love the way they use Bam as a high post facilitator. How they use his passing ability to open up offensive opportunities for other players. How he makes everyone else's life easier on offense by getting them the ball on the move against a scrambling defense instead of stationary in front of a set defense. He improves everyone around him.

This is what Al Horford has done throughout his career yet we have used him less and less in this way this season. The offense should be running through Al in the high post as a facilitator and then moving back out and around to our guards and wings. Then attack from there.

We are not doing that. We are ignoring Horford more and more. Using him more as a spot up shooter instead of as a passer. Horford & high post passing from our bigs has always been a vital component of our offense going back several seasons now. Since B Stevens took over as head coach. First Olynyk & Sully, then Horford, then a bleak time without Horford where any type of zone would destroy us, Horford returns and restors order ... until now, when by choice, we are no longer using Horford and big man high post passing frequently enough anymore.

What can we learn? Trust Horford's passing. Let him conduct more of our halfcourt offense from the high post. Stop relying on so much ball-handling with a set defense (5 men setup against the ball handler between the ball-handler and the basket) in their way. Get back to movement. Horford is the key to that movement. His passing from the high post enables it.

High post passing and off ball movement = that is the lesson.

« Reply #1059 on: May 20, 2023, 06:17:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
The C's only hit 3 shots in the final 7 minutes of the game (all from G-Will)

That's bad. In the ECF, season on the line, and you only hit 3 baskets in the final 7 minutes? Oof

Lot of blame to go around, but with all the talent we supposedly have it's insane that no one seems to be hitting these baskets late in close games. Jays with zero makes in the final 7 minutes? I mean...

« Reply #1060 on: May 20, 2023, 06:21:07 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

That's bad. In the ECF, season on the line, and you only hit 3 baskets in the final 7 minutes? Oof

Lot of blame to go around, but with all the talent we supposedly have it's insane that no one seems to be hitting these baskets late in close games. Jays with zero makes in the final 7 minutes? I mean...

Way to go G Will!

Not just the made shots but also one of the few guys on the team to have the balls to step up and try to make plays on offense. Not stupid 1 on 5 plays. But patient offense, allowing the ball to move and space to be created, and then attacking open space when opportunities are there. Not just stand still shooting. But aggressive drives. He took it to the other team.

We would have won that game if more of the others played like G Will did last night.

« Reply #1061 on: May 20, 2023, 06:24:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Way to go G Will!

Not just the made shots but also one of the few guys on the team to have the balls to step up and try to make plays on offense. Not stupid 1 on 5 plays. But patient offense, allowing the ball to move and space to be created, and then attacking open space when opportunities are there. Not just stand still shooting. But aggressive drives. He took it to the other team.

We would have won that game if more of the others played like G Will did last night.

Yep. I know the numbers on defense don't look great for G-Will BUT I thought the Heat just made difficult shots. Wasn't like Williams was awful on defense and left guys wide open every time. No, that was Jaylen and Smart against guys like Caleb Martin and Vincent all night.

We definitely could have used him in Game 1 instead of PP. Mazzulla can say what he wants, it's obvious he also has no clue what to do with the rotations and he's guessing most of the time.

Wouldn't even surprise me if he benches G-Will and brings in someone like Muscala/Griffin for some minutes too. Or just sticks with a strict 7-man rotation again

« Reply #1062 on: May 20, 2023, 07:07:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

I love the way they use Bam as a high post facilitator. How they use his passing ability to open up offensive opportunities for other players. How he makes everyone else's life easier on offense by getting them the ball on the move against a scrambling defense instead of stationary in front of a set defense. He improves everyone around him.

This is what Al Horford has done throughout his career yet we have used him less and less in this way this season. The offense should be running through Al in the high post as a facilitator and then moving back out and around to our guards and wings. Then attack from there.

We are not doing that. We are ignoring Horford more and more. Using him more as a spot up shooter instead of as a passer. Horford & high post passing from our bigs has always been a vital component of our offense going back several seasons now. Since B Stevens took over as head coach. First Olynyk & Sully, then Horford, then a bleak time without Horford where any type of zone would destroy us, Horford returns and restors order ... until now, when by choice, we are no longer using Horford and big man high post passing frequently enough anymore.

What can we learn? Trust Horford's passing. Let him conduct more of our halfcourt offense from the high post. Stop relying on so much ball-handling with a set defense (5 men setup against the ball handler between the ball-handler and the basket) in their way. Get back to movement. Horford is the key to that movement. His passing from the high post enables it.

High post passing and off ball movement = that is the lesson.

TP, this is a very insightful analysis.