Author Topic: Celtics pick at 35 is:  (Read 6187 times)

Re: Celtics pick at 35 is:
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2023, 02:32:47 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I think the pick depends a lot on if we want to try and hit a home run with a project or if we want an older game ready guy. I didn't realize that Edey was only 20 years old.

Because we don't have a lot of glaring holes, we can afford to take someone that can develop for a few years before we really need anything out of them. High ceiling all the way this draft
I'm bitter.

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2023, 02:47:58 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I think the pick depends a lot on if we want to try and hit a home run with a project or if we want an older game ready guy. I didn't realize that Edey was only 20 years old.

Because we don't have a lot of glaring holes, we can afford to take someone that can develop for a few years before we really need anything out of them. High ceiling all the way this draft

Yep.  Especially since our future spending flexibility will be more limited with the J’s both on supermax deals, getting a player who’s can be a long-term starter in his second deal is much more important than a guy who tops out as a 7-8 man the next three seasons, even if it means it’s more likely the pick will bust altogether.

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2023, 04:14:24 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
DaRon Holmes would be a great mobile big to develop behind Rob and Al.

There are good looking bigs deep in this draft but I'm sure Brad will pick the shortest one. LOL

Would you rather he pick one that's unathletic instead? Or  one with absolutely no basketball skills? With guys available in the second round (and most of the first, honestly) you basically have to pick 1 or 2 of:
Good size
Athletic
Can play basketball

Just joking. I rather have the one that turns out well. Whoever that might be. I like Grant Nelson as my pick but there are a lot of interesting prospects in the second round of this draft. Brad seems like a good judge of talent.

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2023, 04:30:49 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I read that we worked out Oscar Tshiebwe and Landers Nolley II. I watched the highlights but does anyone have a good break down of either guy?

Most years I keep tabs on workouts haven't this season because rumor was most teams and agents where going to keep most workouts secret. Ill have to start paying attention again.

Tshiebwe, he is an NBA player but ill be surprised if he is ever more then a backup on a good team and that level of player is typically available for cheap on the FA market. An elite rebounder who physically dominated in college but he lacks the skill or defensive versatility to be a high impact NBA player. He did shoot a decent % from FT line so the long shot swing skill would be if he proves to be a viable 3pt shooting option. Most likely his ceiling is that of a modern Kendrick Perkins or a higher bball IQ but less athletic Drummond.

Landers Nolley II, he fits the mold of a great 2d round pick as a wing with great positional size and length who can shoot the 3. However given that his age (23) and the other wing talent projected to be available around 35 I suspect he is being worked out in the event of a later 2nd round pick trade becoming available or as a player who is quickly grabbed as a UFA and signed to a 2-way deal.

As for guys I would like to see the Celtics target at #35. Despite the likely hood of hitting on the pick I would take all guards off of my board given the current roster construction. Pritchard needs to be moved for a future asset, JD is going to command a roster spot (unless 2 years of a 2-way was pre-negotiated), and Yam looks at least capable of being a 3rd PG/13th-15th man.

My priority would be a big who fits the Cs defensive style and has the talent ceiling to potentially start down the road.

Bigs

Long shot (question is can #35 and Pritchard net a pick high enough to draft him?)
Dereck Lively

Target at #35
Trayce Jackson-Davis, if he doesn't develop at outside shot he still is a mobile athletic 5 who can pass, rebound, and defend. If he shoots he could be a steal in this draft. Analytic minded teams will likely target him and potentially prevent him from falling to #35.

Adem Bona, he didn't measure out as lengthy as I would have thought but at 6'8.25" (with out shoes) a 7'025" wingspan at 243lbs his measurements (also almost identical to Jackson-Davis's) are basically identical to Al Horfords and Onyeka Okongwu's. Bona really stats out to me as an NBA defensive 5. His motor, mobility and quick jump could make him the rare switch everything NBA big. As a project to develop behind Rob Will he would be a perfect fit.

Tristan Vukcevic, this is a player I'm more interested in post combine. He played really well and showed off a nice perimeter skill set in the scrimmages and measured really well at 6'11.5 (with out shoes) 224 with a 7'2.5 wingspan. He looks to have a similar skill set / role as Muscala and could be an option at #35 especially if he is willing to stash for a year or two.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2023, 07:39:28 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I read that we worked out Oscar Tshiebwe and Landers Nolley II. I watched the highlights but does anyone have a good break down of either guy?

Most years I keep tabs on workouts haven't this season because rumor was most teams and agents where going to keep most workouts secret. Ill have to start paying attention again.

Tshiebwe, he is an NBA player but ill be surprised if he is ever more then a backup on a good team and that level of player is typically available for cheap on the FA market. An elite rebounder who physically dominated in college but he lacks the skill or defensive versatility to be a high impact NBA player. He did shoot a decent % from FT line so the long shot swing skill would be if he proves to be a viable 3pt shooting option. Most likely his ceiling is that of a modern Kendrick Perkins or a higher bball IQ but less athletic Drummond.

Landers Nolley II, he fits the mold of a great 2d round pick as a wing with great positional size and length who can shoot the 3. However given that his age (23) and the other wing talent projected to be available around 35 I suspect he is being worked out in the event of a later 2nd round pick trade becoming available or as a player who is quickly grabbed as a UFA and signed to a 2-way deal.

As for guys I would like to see the Celtics target at #35. Despite the likely hood of hitting on the pick I would take all guards off of my board given the current roster construction. Pritchard needs to be moved for a future asset, JD is going to command a roster spot (unless 2 years of a 2-way was pre-negotiated), and Yam looks at least capable of being a 3rd PG/13th-15th man.

My priority would be a big who fits the Cs defensive style and has the talent ceiling to potentially start down the road.

Bigs

Long shot (question is can #35 and Pritchard net a pick high enough to draft him?)
Dereck Lively

Target at #35
Trayce Jackson-Davis, if he doesn't develop at outside shot he still is a mobile athletic 5 who can pass, rebound, and defend. If he shoots he could be a steal in this draft. Analytic minded teams will likely target him and potentially prevent him from falling to #35.

Adem Bona, he didn't measure out as lengthy as I would have thought but at 6'8.25" (with out shoes) a 7'025" wingspan at 243lbs his measurements (also almost identical to Jackson-Davis's) are basically identical to Al Horfords and Onyeka Okongwu's. Bona really stats out to me as an NBA defensive 5. His motor, mobility and quick jump could make him the rare switch everything NBA big. As a project to develop behind Rob Will he would be a perfect fit.

Tristan Vukcevic, this is a player I'm more interested in post combine. He played really well and showed off a nice perimeter skill set in the scrimmages and measured really well at 6'11.5 (with out shoes) 224 with a 7'2.5 wingspan. He looks to have a similar skill set / role as Muscala and could be an option at #35 especially if he is willing to stash for a year or two.

I liked Vukcevic in the combine game as well. That shot looks beautiful. Have you checked out Clowney? He's young but seems like a good prospect.

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2023, 09:43:36 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

Bigs

Dereck Lively

Target at #35

I liked Vukcevic in the combine game as well. That shot looks beautiful. Have you checked out Clowney? He's young but seems like a good prospect.

Clowney is a player I haven’t really decided on. At times I think he could be a real asset as a big who is almost a swing who will bring a lot to the offensive side and rebound at a
High level. Other times I worry he is at best an empty stat scoring big in the Christian Wood mold.

Potentially he could be a steal at #35 but I don’t feel as strongly about him as I do TJD and Bona. It is likely a mute point because ESPN has him mocked in late teens and Tankathon have him 27

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet