Author Topic: Will Joe stick with the double big line up vs Miami?  (Read 2150 times)

Will Joe stick with the double big line up vs Miami?
« on: May 16, 2023, 12:11:51 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
What do you guys think? Will he go back to DW as starter to better defend Miami’s shooters? Or will he stick to the double big line up which has been marvelous the past two games?

Re: Will Joe stick with the double big line up vs Miami?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 12:29:08 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Considering the Heat are starting Love next to Bam, I imagine he’ll go with the double big initially.  I think the first starting lineup change will come from Spoelstra, going small to try to force the C’s out of the double big lineup.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 12:29:25 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think he has to stay with two bigs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 04:27:16 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I think he stays with 2 bigs. It's working right now. The only reason they would go back to White starting is if Joe thought their spacing wasn't good enough to generate offense, to the point where it would be a net gain to have a smaller lineup that can play a five-out offense.

But if you look at the numbers, White has tailed off somewhat from his great form from January. He's still solid, and obviously he's a great perimeter defender and 2nd team All-NBA, but he's not quite as irresistible as he was when people were saying Joe should drop Marcus from the starting lineup and play him. Obviously his minutes are down, so his raw numbers are down, but his efficiency is down as well.

(click to enlarge)

Obviously a lot of it can change after the Game 1 experience. How Miami play us could influence the lineup. But to me the starting lineup just sets the tone, it's who plays throughout the game and who finishes that matters, and I think we'll see a lot more of Rob than we have been, whether he starts or not.

In any case, Derrick is the ultimate team guy:

“I’m not entitled to that spot,” he said. “If it’s what’s best for the team, we go with that. Rob’s a great player, so I was with it ... I was all for it.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/derrick-white-has-maintained-his-focus-since-being-replaced-in-the-celtics-starting-lineup-i-m-not-entitled-to-that-spot/ar-AA1b9oYJ
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 04:55:39 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Great video here explaining how this worked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSzqzNQi_A8

From 6.16 to 7.30 he breaks down some incredible clips of Horford recovering to Embiid allowing the handler space in the lane, BUT with Rob lurking ignoring his man (usually PJ or Harris) to threaten at the rim.

I feel that Miami (Butler) will be far more aggressive than Harden when he has space. I wouldn't be surprised if White picks up Butler for large chunks, and we play the pick and roll by switching the big onto Butler when he starts he drive.... Then just live with the mismatch created onto Bam/Love.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 05:18:01 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366

yeah, i mean how can you go back after the success it had? the 2 big lineup is what saved our season essentially. we went from being a sieve to holding the sixers to under 90 with suffocating defense.

Only thing is, will the sixers try and take the celtics out of it by having Kevin Love peel out and shoot 3's. Then again looking at his stats this playoffs hes certainly not the same guy so you may take that (like you took the PJ tucker 3's) vs someone else
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 05:29:21 AM by cman88 »

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 06:32:04 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

yeah, i mean how can you go back after the success it had? the 2 big lineup is what saved our season essentially. we went from being a sieve to holding the sixers to under 90 with suffocating defense.

Only thing is, will the sixers try and take the celtics out of it by having Kevin Love peel out and shoot 3's. Then again looking at his stats this playoffs hes certainly not the same guy so you may take that (like you took the PJ tucker 3's) vs someone else

Think the Sixers would have loved to have someone like Kevin Love in the last series  :)

But it's a reasonable concern - except that Kevin Love is a far cry from the player he used to be.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023, 06:55:19 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Uh, the double big lineup change potentially changed our season and shifted the mentality of this team. Absolutely have to stick with it until you lose multiple games using it.

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023, 07:07:39 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Yes..wear down Bam, put Blake or Kornet to bang him around also
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2023, 07:16:32 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I think a lot more guys can play in the series. I like Blake matching up against Love at times.

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2023, 08:41:53 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I would think they kind of have to no? Miami starts Bam and K Love together so think Cs need to counter that. Think the Cs have a good size advantage in the front court. That should be a strength this series.

Also, I think it helps the Cs mentally and gives them an edge to start games. I think going full offense to start makes them lackadaisical.

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2023, 01:48:24 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bobby Manning: Robert Williams will start Game 1 of #Celtics #Heat, Joe Mazzulla said.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2023, 02:01:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I get worried about Spo throwing the Zone D at the starters .     

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2023, 02:09:11 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

I think Tatum busts the hell out of that zone!

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2023, 06:20:43 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

I think Tatum busts the hell out of that zone!
Considering their backcourt and wing matchup disadvantages, I’d assume they stay in zone a lot.