Author Topic: Woj: Suns Dismiss HC Monty Williams  (Read 4144 times)

Re: Woj: Suns Dismiss HC Monty Williams
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2023, 04:08:04 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Cory Alexander reporting on ESPN that Durant went to Phoenix in part to play for Monty Williams.

He went to PHX because he figured it was his best shot to piggyback onto another deep playoff run. I’m sure Monty Williams was, at best, a distant fourth or fifth concern.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2023, 06:18:01 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
So many good coaches available.  Makes me wish they didn't sign Joe long term

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2023, 08:14:18 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
is it me, or are teams getting rid of coaches way too soon in the NBA? the amount of good coaches, and guys who have won championships getting jettisoned is crazy. At the end of the day its up to the players to perform. Ayton/CP3 were injured and they had no depth.

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2023, 08:15:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Hopefully neither he nor Nurse go to Philly or Milwaukee
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2023, 10:55:20 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
New owner and Monty apparently didn't get along very well.  Couple that with an absolutely embarrassing loss in an elimination game, an inability to utilize your 3rd best player, and it is pretty easy to have seen this one coming.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2023, 05:08:42 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
is it me, or are teams getting rid of coaches way too soon in the NBA? the amount of good coaches, and guys who have won championships getting jettisoned is crazy. At the end of the day its up to the players to perform. Ayton/CP3 were injured and they had no depth.

Coaches get too much praise when teams win and too much blame when teams lose - plus they're easier to adjust than your roster.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2023, 08:39:29 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
New owner and Monty apparently didn't get along very well.  Couple that with an absolutely embarrassing loss in an elimination game, an inability to utilize your 3rd best player, and it is pretty easy to have seen this one coming.

Time will tell if Ayton's failures are due to coaching, or due to his own deficiencies.  I lean toward him just not being mentally strong.

I'd prefer Timelord -- injuries and all -- over Ayton.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2023, 08:43:53 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Time will tell if Ayton's failures are due to coaching, or due to his own deficiencies.  I lean toward him just not being mentally strong.

could be player driven, but he has not only not gotten better he has regressed every year in the system.  He was instrumental in the bubble run they had and has been non-existent since.  They also clearly don't get along given all of the in fighting. I think a new coach should get more out of Ayton and the Suns clearly need Ayton to be successful.

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2023, 09:03:33 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Probably but the team has to try and get Ayton back out there.   It wasn't working with this coach.   

The question is what coach is out their can both get Ayton involved and keep the older vets satisfied that they have a title chance.

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2023, 11:53:15 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Probably but the team has to try and get Ayton back out there.   It wasn't working with this coach.   

The question is what coach is out their can both get Ayton involved and keep the older vets satisfied that they have a title chance.
Bud makes some sense there.  As strange as it sounds I also think Mark Jackson might work there

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2023, 12:55:38 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm all for anything that gets Mark Jackson off ESPN/ABC telecasts.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2023, 01:03:51 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Sort of on this topic:There has truly never been LESS coaching security than there is now.

I think its a combination of parity and player empowerment. Parity means a bunch of teams think they have a shot, so more teams are going all in and are disappointed when they lose. Meanwhile player empowerment means teams get nervous when they come up short and the easiest thing to change on a team is the coach.

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2023, 01:27:15 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I also lean towards it being Ayton. He's the same player he was when he was drafted, he's added nothing to his game. Then, there's the lack of effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5NSfLvGFDw
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2023, 01:39:59 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I don’t see how PHO ends up with a better coach than Williams. The core of this team is really good. Booker, Durant, even Ayton. Chris Paul too. They Should be able to attract a few vets to add depth. I don’t understand how they thought firing the coach was a good idea.

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2023, 04:03:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Not official yet, but it sounds like the Pistons will hire Monty soon with a "significant offer" according to Shams. That'll be interesting. DET has a ton of young talent, and another high pick coming up, plus cap space. That could be a fun team going forward with a solid HC.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller