Author Topic: Woj: Suns Dismiss HC Monty Williams  (Read 4127 times)

Woj: Suns Dismiss HC Monty Williams
« on: May 13, 2023, 09:54:34 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1657558977901723648?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

BREAKING: The Phoenix Suns dismissed coach Monty Williams, sources tell ESPN. Williams was a two-time NBA Coach of the Year in four seasons with Suns — including a trip to 2021 NBA Finals. Suns lost 6-game series to Nuggets in Western Semifinals.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Woj: Suns Dismiss HC Monty Williams
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 09:59:30 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Ime would likely have landed there if rockets didnt get him first

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 10:05:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Good. I want to see what a different coach can do with Ayton. I never thought Monty had a positive impact on Ayton. He failed to develop him. He failed to integrate Ayton into the offense. He failed to get his star guards (Booker, CP3) to keep Ayton involved. It'll be interesting to see if someone else can do better.

Never impressed by Monty during his time in New Orleans. Pretty dubious about his handling of Ayton. Not convinced how much his successful period in Phoenix is down to him or down to CP3 & Booker. I guess we'll find out in his next coaching post.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 10:11:10 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Too nice of guy .

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2023, 10:17:04 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Now this was a surprise.

Next is probably Steve Kerr lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023, 06:51:33 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Good. I want to see what a different coach can do with Ayton. I never thought Monty had a positive impact on Ayton. He failed to develop him. He failed to integrate Ayton into the offense. He failed to get his star guards (Booker, CP3) to keep Ayton involved. It'll be interesting to see if someone else can do better.

Never impressed by Monty during his time in New Orleans. Pretty dubious about his handling of Ayton. Not convinced how much his successful period in Phoenix is down to him or down to CP3 & Booker. I guess we'll find out in his next coaching post.

The Ayton conundrum is interesting, but I thought Williams did a pretty decent job in New Orleans.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2023, 06:54:27 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Wow!! Wasn’t his fault that Paul & Ayton was hurt plus Suns has no bench…probably end up in Toronto or Milwaukee
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2023, 07:41:18 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Budenholzer, Nurse, Williams all deemed not good enough.
Are there any good coaches in the NBA left?

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2023, 08:34:47 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

The Ayton conundrum is interesting, but I thought Williams did a pretty decent job in New Orleans.
I too don't think Monty deserves the blame, in fact the FO themselves made the mistake by drafting Ayton. Now they blame the coach. We all knew Ayton was a "safe" pick not a homerun pick. They could have drafted Luka or Trae and made a trade if they wanted to.

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2023, 08:37:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Winning COTY seems like a precursor to losing your job within 5 years these days
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2023, 09:25:26 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Not surprised.  Their championship window, if they even have one, is tiny.  They made a desperate win now move trading for KD who has played 35, 55 and 47 regular season games the past 3 seasons.  CP3 is on his last legs.  They have little opportunity to improve their roster so replace your coach and cross your fingers and pray. 

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2023, 10:13:30 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
This makes no sense to me.  Not sure if the new owner or the GM made this call.  A new coach is not going to improve this team.  If Durant and to some extent Chris Paul stay healthy, they will be good.  If not, no coach in the world is going to make any difference.

They traded away all their depth for Durant.  They couldn't even go 7 or 8 deep in the playoffs.  They need to strengthen their bench with some strategic adds and hope and pray that Durant stays healthy.  To me, a new/different coach is a step backwards.

As to the Celtics, bringing in someone like Monte Williams would probably be a good thing in the long run for Mazzulla.  Give him a chance to grow a little bit more before another chance at head coaching.  Don't see how that happens though.

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2023, 02:31:50 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Are they going to bring in Steve Nash?

::)

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2023, 02:52:16 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Cory Alexander reporting on ESPN that Durant went to Phoenix in part to play for Monty Williams.

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2023, 03:55:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Cory Alexander reporting on ESPN that Durant went to Phoenix in part to play for Monty Williams.
Monty does seem to be really well regarded by most players. Can imagine this is a big shock to the Phoenix locker room.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)