Author Topic: FIBA Basketball 2023  (Read 14629 times)

Re: FIBA Basketball 2023
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2023, 03:44:09 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
but why do they value the olympics higher? It's a tournament within a tournament... buried beneath hundreds of other sports.
the world cup puts basketball into the spotlight. so why not value it more?

also... if team USA showed up with their elite, the world cup would get more attention and significance overall.

Probably because the World Cup only became known as the World Cup for this year, because they were trying to increase interest in it. Prior to that it was the FIBA Basketball Championships and and to be honest I would doubt many in the US follow it or even know about it. The NBA is seen as the premier basketball championship in terms of overall quality. The Olympic basketball tournament trades off the equity in the Olympics brand.

I suppose to try to compare it to something that a European would understand better, it would be like the Olympics being the Champions League and the FIBA Championships being the Europa League...or the World Cup vs the Nations League. One just has a lot more cachet and prestige than the other.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 06:10:54 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2023, 07:45:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
but why do they value the olympics higher? It's a tournament within a tournament... buried beneath hundreds of other sports.

also... if team USA showed up with their elite, the world cup would get more attention and significance overall.

Probably because the World Cup only became known as the World Cup for this year, because they were trying to increase interest in it. Prior to that it was the FIBA Basketball Championships and and to be honest I would doubt many in the US follow it or even know about it. The NBA is seen as the premier basketball championship in terms of overall quality. The Olympic basketball tournament trades off the equity in the Olympics brand.

I suppose to try to compare it to something that a European would understand better, it would be like the Olympics being the Champions League and the FIBA Championships being the Europa League...or the World Cup vs the Nations League. One just has a lot more cachet and prestige than the other.

Yep.  And that doesn't seem unique to basketball, either.  With most sports, the Olympics have a higher level of prestige than the World Championships.  At least in America, we care about Olympic golds, and not much of anything else. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2023, 10:28:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yep.  And that doesn't seem unique to basketball, either.  With most sports, the Olympics have a higher level of prestige than the World Championships.  At least in America, we care about Olympic golds, and not much of anything else.
It is the case for a lot of Olympic team sports. The major exceptions being soccer & rugby
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2023, 09:24:39 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
So Austin Reaves ended up Team USA's 2nd leading scorer & was tied for 1st in scoring efficiency. Actually Mikal Bridges and Reaves were almost neck and neck for both ppg (13.8ppg & 13.6ppg) and scoring efficiency (around 1.53 points per possession).

Impressive run for Reaves.

« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2023, 05:31:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
So Austin Reaves ended up Team USA's 2nd leading scorer & was tied for 1st in scoring efficiency. Actually Mikal Bridges and Reaves were almost neck and neck for both ppg (13.8ppg & 13.6ppg) and scoring efficiency (around 1.53 points per possession).

Impressive run for Reaves.
He was also the most targeted player on defence.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)