Author Topic: Bring the energy on Sunday!!  (Read 2942 times)

Bring the energy on Sunday!!
« on: May 12, 2023, 08:48:04 AM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
So Jaylen is calling the fans out and asking to bring their most passionate fan behavior to the Garden on Sunday!

he is right.

This year was my first visit to Boston and I loved it, my first two homegames after watching a 1000+ games from the TV in Europe. We lost both games, so I have a lot of reason to go back. That being said, one of the games was the double OT game vs the Knicks in March. The atmosphere was great and the crowd was close to a playoff crowd and experiencing a great garden crowd was one of my goals visiting.

Now back home watching the playoffs i've been disappointed by the Garden crowd (at least it looks like from behind the TV). I'm not sure why, maybe they don't like the team as much (somehow understandable) or they took it for granted so far, especially vs the hawks....
I've watched a lot of playoff games and I think I could say we probably have the worst crowd this year except the Clippers, Nets and Heat.

I always take pride in our atmosphere and always claim we have such a good ambiance at home. That said, we are short this year compared to almost all other playoff teams.

So I agree with Jaylen, restore the garden pride, be loud if your going and let's get this ******* win and advance! Bleed green!

Re: Bring the energy on Sunday!!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 09:00:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Interesting observations.  I think the Celtics are generally a front-running crowd, in that they cheer loudest when the team is playing well.  The crowd cheers loudly when we hit big shots, play great defense, score in transition, make big dunks, go on a run, etc., etc.

What the crowd doesn't do a ton is "pick the team up" when they're playing like crap.  If the crowd is sitting there watch us come out flat, or in the midst of blowing a 20 point lead in the 4th quarter, I don't think the locals want to cheer and be super energetic. 

Also, for whatever its worth, the energy of the Boston crowd is rarely reflected well on television.  I don't know if it's acoustics or what, but it's rare on television that I feel like the crowd is absolutely electric.  Going in person, though, you can feel that, and you see much more of the individual player love the crowd gives guys like JT, Brown, Smart, etc.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 09:00:45 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I actually thought the crowd was pretty amazing in Game 5.  At one point they were going completely bananas in the 3rd or 4th after the Celts forced a 24-second violation and had a chance to cut the lead to maybe 11.  I believe the Celts either turned it over on offense or that may have been when Embiid devoured a JB drive attempt.

The crowd showed up.  Celts didn't.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 09:02:36 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Interesting observations.  I think the Celtics are generally a front-running crowd, in that they cheer loudest when the team is playing well.  The crowd cheers loudly when we hit big shots, play great defense, score in transition, make big dunks, etc., etc.

What the crowd doesn't do a ton is "pick the team up" when they're playing like crap.  If the crowd is sitting there watch us come out flat, or in the midst of blowing a 20 point lead in the 4th quarter, I don't think the locals want to cheer and be super energetic.

Energetically boo, perhaps. But yeah, most crowds are momentum based. Except for "good shot, good effort" kid. I wonder where he is now.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 09:21:35 AM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Anything is possible!
Also, for whatever its worth, the energy of the Boston crowd is rarely reflected well on television.  I don't know if it's acoustics or what, but it's rare on television that I feel like the crowd is absolutely electric.  Going in person, though, you can feel that, and you see much more of the individual player love the crowd gives guys like JT, Brown, Smart, etc.

You might be right on this.

I think in the past the crowd was very loyal. Even after losses and before games there were many chants in previous years. Maybe it comes with expectation / effort that this team is not always up-par. If we compare it to the KG era, who always brought the energy, the IT/AB young Jay's era were expectations were low but we kind of overperformed. Versus now, we shold be a title contender.

That being said, I believe a good crowd is loyal, your there for your team in ups and down. But in the States that always a bit less the case than in Europe.

Hope we can get an electric game 7 atmosphere. Like JB said, when the garden gets going, there is nothing like it. It's very intimidating for the opponent...

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2023, 09:35:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
One other thing, and I'm not sure if it plays into it:  a lot of fans can't afford tickets to games, particularly in the playoffs.  Do wealthy fans cheer less loudly / consistently than less wealthy fans?  I have no idea.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2023, 09:38:59 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I actually thought the crowd was pretty amazing in Game 5.  At one point they were going completely bananas in the 3rd or 4th after the Celts forced a 24-second violation and had a chance to cut the lead to maybe 11.  I believe the Celts either turned it over on offense or that may have been when Embiid devoured a JB drive attempt.

The crowd showed up.  Celts didn't.

Maybe. I recall seeing quite a few writers who cover the team extensively comment differently on Twitter the other night. A couple that I can find:

Jay King
@ByJayKing
Weak crowd tonight so far given the stakes.

Keith Smith
@KeithSmithNBA
It hasn't been the best start, but are the Celtics fans even there? Terrible crowd so far.

2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2023, 09:42:22 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
One other thing, and I'm not sure if it plays into it:  a lot of fans can't afford tickets to games, particularly in the playoffs.  Do wealthy fans cheer less loudly / consistently than less wealthy fans?  I have no idea.

In Boston, no, I don’t think that’s a problem.  There’s a lot of energy.  The Garden is mostly populated by lifelong fans, upper-middle income folks for whom seeing games is one of their major luxury expenses, and college students who either come from money or are racking up credit card debt.  All three groups are good at bringing energy.

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2023, 09:54:17 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
For whatever its worth,  I always thought the crowds of the '01-02 playoff run were the best of any playoff run since the New Garden opened  in '95. 

I'm sure economics played into that. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2023, 10:16:14 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I agree with Jaylen. The Garden crowd needs to be deafening from start to finish!!! Let it all out there!!!! Last Playoff game I went to at the Garden I left with no voice!

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2023, 10:25:37 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Rattle the rafters Sunday. Break the Sixers.

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2023, 10:29:02 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Jaylen's quote:

"Celtics fans, y'all love to call us out, right? So, I'm gonna call you guys out this time," Brown said during his postgame press conference. "The energy at the Garden has been OK at best all playoffs.

" ... I need you to come with the energy, because we're gonna need every bit of it. No excuses. We need everybody. So, I'm calling you guys out. Let's make sure the Garden is ready to go."

In light of the team's play, I'm not sure calling out the crowd is fair.  1-3 at home over the last four, and they gave up 115+ in those three losses.

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2023, 10:36:41 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1673
Jaylen's quote:

"Celtics fans, y'all love to call us out, right? So, I'm gonna call you guys out this time," Brown said during his postgame press conference. "The energy at the Garden has been OK at best all playoffs.

" ... I need you to come with the energy, because we're gonna need every bit of it. No excuses. We need everybody. So, I'm calling you guys out. Let's make sure the Garden is ready to go."

In light of the team's play, I'm not sure calling out the crowd is fair.  1-3 at home over the last four, and they gave up 115+ in those three losses.

We don't care about their excuses when they have a bad day.  So the reverse should also hold true, and the callout is fair IMO. 

All playoffs long, media and rival fans have talked about how lifeless the Boston crowd is.  We should take that personally.  For the sake of pride, if not a genuine desire to support our players. 

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2023, 10:46:30 AM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Anything is possible!
All playoffs long, media and rival fans have talked about how lifeless the Boston crowd is.  We should take that personally.  For the sake of pride, if not a genuine desire to support our players.

This, TP! we always have been praised to be one of the toughest arena's to play in - let's get that deafening crowd back! It can truly be a 6th man. It has not been this playoffs.

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2023, 10:46:42 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Jaylen's quote:

We don't care about their excuses when they have a bad day.  So the reverse should also hold true, and the callout is fair IMO. 

Is it an "excuse" if the fans don't passionately cheer when the team is just going through the motions, and the coach is actively working against us?  I see that more as a natural consequence.