Author Topic: J.B. second team All Nba! J.T. first team  (Read 4584 times)

Re: J.B. second team All Nba! J.T. first team
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2023, 10:26:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Explain to me how signing Brown to the supermax makes the Celtics financial status better and more flexible.
I just don't understand the salary cap well enough to know.

It doesn’t at all. It just means we can offer our star more than anyone meaning he’ll likely stay, or at the very least, he won’t walk for nothing.
Exactly. The biggest thing is that without the supermax option, the Celtics couldn't offer Jaylen and extension he would or should accept because of how much his last contract was. Now the C's can offer the most possible money he can get and lock up the asset.

Jaylen either accepts the extension and then the C's have control of his whereabouts or he declines it and they know they have to trade him and will be able to because he'll have a year left (but he'll take the money).

Without the supermax, he could reasonably decline the extension, say he wants to stay in Boston and then bolt next year. That's off the table now.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2023, 10:27:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Explain to me how signing Brown to the supermax makes the Celtics financial status better and more flexible.
I just don't understand the salary cap well enough to know.

It doesn’t at all. It just means we can offer our star more than anyone meaning he’ll likely stay, or at the very least, he won’t walk for nothing.
I mean, it does. If we let him walk for nothing we will still be over the cap (given FAs and picks), and we will be without our 2nd best player. Either way we will be over the cap, this way we maintain a strong level of assets and tradeable pieces
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2023, 10:40:04 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
For the life of me I don’t understand the Brown hate on this board.
Is he a perfect player, absolutely not. Does he have things he can and should improve on, sure. But jeez, the guy is a top 10 scorer in the league. He’s a good rebounder for his size. He played great defense on Harden after he lite them up for 45 in game one. Maybe if they had a coach who explained to his team that perhaps after a guy scores 20 in the first half, you might want to get him the ball in the second half??
I personally think we’re pretty lucky to have him on the team and I hope he plays his whole career here.
Now go practice your free throws Jaylan. 😃

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2023, 11:02:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Wow. Media really love Brown. But to me that's bad news.
You can't give a guy like Brown a supermax.
That's bad cap management. This is trouble.

Sorry for the negative take, but to me this is the sign we need to trade him this summer.
You need to actually explain your reasoning behind this, otherwise people will (rightfully) dismiss it. Brown is absolutely deserving of this kind of money, and it is actually good management to extend him like this. Otherwise we will still have little-to-no flexibility, minus our second most valuable asset

Brown is barely a top 30 player. So I find his selection undeserving.
He's basically Middleton. He can score but not much else.

While he plays at a scarce position he definitely won't be an asset when he's on a supermax.
With the wage bill exploding management will probably choose to let some key role players go as a result.

So in the future it will still be Tatum and Brown, but with less help.

Jaylen hasn't done much to ease my concerns about him this post-season. He is doing fine individually but he still isn't making anyone around him better. He is unable to exert any control over games. Games just seem to happen around him rather than be dictated by him. He doesn't have the ball-handling, passing or decision making necessary to lead an offense. 

Part of the reason BOS' offense struggles is Jaylen's lack of playmaking as a #2. That lack of direction, lack of order, lack of cohesiveness. Jaylen taking 20 shots a night but barely getting 3apg with an AST:TO of 1:1.

It does make me wonder whether I over-rate Jaylen when I say he is a clear top 20 player + it does make me wonder whether he is worth that super-max.
It hasn't been an issue when our secondary offensive pieces (Brogdon, White, Smart). Smart and White are averaging significantly fewer assists in the postseason vs regular season, not to mention Smart's massive drop from the early months of the season. I think when we have other guys picking up the playmaking slack and allowing Brown to just attack, it's less of an issue. I think the more pressing concern is our overall offensive decline. The way we were passing and penetrating before the New Year was amazing.

Yes, I agree and it is something that makes me a bit nervous about the team. Do we need more playmaking in the backcourt? Can our 3 combo guards be relied upon to produce enough playmaking in playoff series against tough opponents?

Do we need to consolidate them into a superior playmaking guard?

Or trade Jaylen for a playmaking guard and swap one of the combo guards for a forward (big forward or little forward) to start next to Tatum?

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2023, 11:08:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Wow. Media really love Brown. But to me that's bad news.
You can't give a guy like Brown a supermax.
That's bad cap management. This is trouble.

Sorry for the negative take, but to me this is the sign we need to trade him this summer.
You need to actually explain your reasoning behind this, otherwise people will (rightfully) dismiss it. Brown is absolutely deserving of this kind of money, and it is actually good management to extend him like this. Otherwise we will still have little-to-no flexibility, minus our second most valuable asset

Brown is barely a top 30 player. So I find his selection undeserving.
He's basically Middleton. He can score but not much else.

While he plays at a scarce position he definitely won't be an asset when he's on a supermax.
With the wage bill exploding management will probably choose to let some key role players go as a result.

So in the future it will still be Tatum and Brown, but with less help.

Jaylen hasn't done much to ease my concerns about him this post-season. He is doing fine individually but he still isn't making anyone around him better. He is unable to exert any control over games. Games just seem to happen around him rather than be dictated by him. He doesn't have the ball-handling, passing or decision making necessary to lead an offense. 

Part of the reason BOS' offense struggles is Jaylen's lack of playmaking as a #2. That lack of direction, lack of order, lack of cohesiveness. Jaylen taking 20 shots a night but barely getting 3apg with an AST:TO of 1:1.

It does make me wonder whether I over-rate Jaylen when I say he is a clear top 20 player + it does make me wonder whether he is worth that super-max.
It hasn't been an issue when our secondary offensive pieces (Brogdon, White, Smart). Smart and White are averaging significantly fewer assists in the postseason vs regular season, not to mention Smart's massive drop from the early months of the season. I think when we have other guys picking up the playmaking slack and allowing Brown to just attack, it's less of an issue. I think the more pressing concern is our overall offensive decline. The way we were passing and penetrating before the New Year was amazing.

Yes, I agree and it is something that makes me a bit nervous about the team. Do we need more playmaking in the backcourt? Can our 3 combo guards be relied upon to produce enough playmaking in playoff series against tough opponents?

Do we need to consolidate them into a superior playmaking guard?

Or trade Jaylen for a playmaking guard and swap one of the combo guards for a forward (big forward or little forward) to start next to Tatum?
It is something I have thought about a bit. It is a reason why I would like to extend Brown - there are a number of playmaking types I would be willing to part with him to add.

Lillard is one of them, for a short-term all out title tilt. Haliburton, when he gets a big contract, is another. One more is Darius Garland. I feel like all of these guys would unlock a bit more for our offence. Haliburton would be ideal, given his size and efficiency.

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2023, 11:09:08 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
If we do sign JB to the supermax, and GWill for something like 18-20M, what would our luxury tax look like? Currently I think we’re at $6M. All key pieces will still be around. Wyc and Company would definitely need to spend more. The question is, how much more? If we somehow make a finals run, i think running it back would be a real option. But what if we don’t?

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2023, 11:12:03 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I'm happy for Jayson and Jaylen. However, something doesn't work with the two of them leading the Celtics in the playoffs. The Celtics should absolutely sign both guys for the supermax, as having those salary slots is extremely valuable. I'm just not sure if the Celtics should trade one of those guys for another max player.

I think this team needs a major shake-up. This off-season, I would look into trading Smart as that major domino before thinking about moving either of the Js.

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2023, 11:14:44 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
I'm happy for Jayson and Jaylen. However, something doesn't work with the two of them leading the Celtics in the playoffs. The Celtics should absolutely sign both guys for the supermax, as having those salary slots is extremely valuable. I'm just not sure if the Celtics should trade one of those guys for another max player.

I think this team needs a major shake-up. This off-season, I would look into trading Smart as that major domino before thinking about moving either of the Js.

I dont want to trade either (yet) but if they do it needs to be for an inside presence.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2023, 11:23:41 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
For the life of me I don’t understand the Brown hate on this board.
Is he a perfect player, absolutely not. Does he have things he can and should improve on, sure. But jeez, the guy is a top 10 scorer in the league. He’s a good rebounder for his size. He played great defense on Harden after he lite them up for 45 in game one. Maybe if they had a coach who explained to his team that perhaps after a guy scores 20 in the first half, you might want to get him the ball in the second half??
I personally think we’re pretty lucky to have him on the team and I hope he plays his whole career here.
Now go practice your free throws Jaylan. 😃

+10000

Congrats to JB and to JT on the All-NBA award.  We have two great young players.  Why on earth all Celtics fans can't just be happy we have two All-NBA players on our team is just mind boggling.  Now JB and JT show up BIG tomorrow and get this to a game 7!

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2023, 11:34:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I would quite happily trade Smart, especially now that White has zoomed past him. I don't think Stevens would, but I would without thinking.

These are some suitable guys I would probably trade him for:
- Jonas Valanciunas
- Mitchell Robinson (+)
- Nurkic
- Tyus Jones (a very underrated PG IMO)
- Wendell Carter Jr.
- Vucevic

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2023, 12:10:23 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

I would quite happily trade Smart, especially now that White has zoomed past him. I don't think Stevens would, but I would without thinking.

- Jonas Valanciunas
- Mitchell Robinson (+)
- Nurkic
- Wendell Carter Jr.
- Vucevic

Bill Simmons brought up the fact that a Smart/Rob Williams combo could get you a pretty nice contract or pair of contracts back.

A big part of the team's struggles this postseason have to do with having near-zero contributions from bigs.

I know people are clamoring for Rob to play more, but he has been playing horrendously. I'm convinced he's hurt and they're hiding it. His athleticism is just okay right now, not elite, and it makes his bad habits shine through. He fails to box out, mistimes jumps, and is very often out of position, especially on pick and rolls.

Brook Lopez on the MLE would be my dream, if he's willing to take as substantial discount to get out of Wisconsin. Wendell Carter would be tremendous. I've thought for years he's the closest thing to young Al Horford out there right now.

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2023, 12:29:44 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

- Jonas Valanciunas
- Mitchell Robinson (+)
- Nurkic
- Wendell Carter Jr.
- Vucevic

Bill Simmons brought up the fact that a Smart/Rob Williams combo could get you a pretty nice contract or pair of contracts back.

A big part of the team's struggles this postseason have to do with having near-zero contributions from bigs.

I know people are clamoring for Rob to play more, but he has been playing horrendously. I'm convinced he's hurt and they're hiding it. His athleticism is just okay right now, not elite, and it makes his bad habits shine through. He fails to box out, mistimes jumps, and is very often out of position, especially on pick and rolls.

Brook Lopez on the MLE would be my dream, if he's willing to take as substantial discount to get out of Wisconsin. Wendell Carter would be tremendous. I've thought for years he's the closest thing to young Al Horford out there right now.
Not going to find agreement from me on that. I think it is one of several gross failings of Joe to not play Rob more.

If the case is that we suspect his body to be cooked, then packaging he and Smart for someone would be something to look at. I would happily do the below.

Celtics receive: Wendell Carter Jr. & Jonas Valanciunas

Magic receive: Marcus Smart

Pelicans receive: Robert Williams III

Then we re-sign Pritchard & Grant to genuine back-up roles, as they were used to playing previously. Our team would be:
White / Pritchard
Brown / Brogdon
Tatum / Hauser
Horford / Williams
Carter Jr. / Valanciunas

All sorts of intriguing ways that team could go, especially if Brown was on the trade table. I think relegating Horford to the 4 is the way to go.

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2023, 03:09:05 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I just read Keith Smith’s article over at Celticsblog. So the possible scenarios are:

1. JB signs the supermax and stays in Boston for another 2 years (he can only be traded a year after signing the supermax)

2. JB declines the supermax and walks away leaving us with nothing.

#2 would mean JB really hates it here and wants out. That would be brutal. If we don’t sign him to a super max, can he be signed and traded at a value below the supermax?

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2023, 06:56:17 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
I haven't seen anything from Jaylen to think he hates it here and won't return. Plus he's on a great team that can contend for several years.

So where does all this come from the media that he wants out? I don't get it.

Plus Jaylen has been way better than Tatum these playoffs. Yet the board wants him gone?

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2023, 07:14:03 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
People are wild. Even if you don't want Brown on the team you still sign him to the contract. People get upset that we let TPEs and 15th spots on the roster go unused. Can you imagine letting our 2nd best asset go, but still being over the cap? Sign him and trade him later if you are in the anti Brown camp.

Personally I love Brown. He has the fire in his belly that more on our team need.
#JKJB