Author Topic: Off Topic: People Are Really This Pathetic?  (Read 16764 times)

Off Topic: People Are Really This Pathetic?
« on: May 10, 2023, 11:42:28 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
https://www.yahoo.com/news/influencer-created-ai-version-herself-120110370.html

Caryn Marjorie, 23, has more than 1.8 million followers on Snapchat. But her virtual copy — an AI-powered, voice-based chatbot called CarynAI — already has more than 1,000 paying boyfriends.

Fortune was the first to report on CarynAI, a chatbot that is described as a "virtual girlfriend," and which charges users $1 per minute to chat with it.

CarynAI launched as a beta test earlier this month, and generated $71,610 in revenue in around a week, almost entirely from men, Fortune reported, citing an income statement provided by the influencer's business manager.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Off Topic: People Are Really This Pathetic?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2023, 12:07:32 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
Harden could probably give some advice on how to get more bang for your dollar.....
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 12:08:45 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'm sure there are plenty of creepers signing up for this or paying exorbitant amounts of money for **** "friends", but I'm guessing there are also just a lot of sad and lonely people for whom this is giving some sort of joy and sense of connection.  We've only just begun with stuff...
Yup

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 12:16:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I'm sure there are plenty of creepers signing up for this or paying exorbitant amounts of money for **** "friends", but I'm guessing there are also just a lot of sad and lonely people for whom this is giving some sort of joy and sense of connection.  We've only just begun with stuff...

It's just wild.  It's not even a real person.  People are paying $60 per hour to talk to a computer. 

What was that movie with Joakim Phoenix where he was dating a computer?  That movie was sort of charming.  I wasn't hoping to see it become reality.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 12:37:12 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I was reading about Virtual Influencers. Apperently they have already taken off in Korea.

Why pay a celebrity to advertise your product when you can just create an AI? Unlike celebrities, AI does not age. Unlike celebrities, AI will not cause trouble with the law. Unlike celebrities, AI will not say offensive things. Unlike celebrities, AI will not get involved in politics.

You want that 23 year old female look. Great. You can have it now, 5 years from, 10 years from now, 20 years from now, 50 years from now. AI never ages. You no longer have to worry about moving from one 23 year female actor to the next one to advertise your shampoo or fragrances. We have your 23 year old looking AI and she will be 23 forever.

People know that these are AI. They know they are fake. Yet .... they still follow them on social media. On instagram. They want to hear what they have to say - each day. They want to get advice from them. They want to learn how to better themselves because this AI appears to be the perfect person. Flawless. Beautiful. Intelligent. Friendly. Never any bad press.

People even start thinking of these Virtual Influencers who are not real people & who they have no real life relationship with as their actual friends.

Creepy.

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 01:12:18 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
You can also talk to ChatGPT if you're bored. That thing has a lot of info lolol

Should probably ask them "what will it take to fire Celtics coach Joe Mazzulla" and it'll list out XYZ reasons  ;D

Sorry roy not meant to hijack the thread, but I saw the term AI and it instantly reminded me of this platform, similar direction.  :angel:

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 01:21:46 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

It's just wild.  It's not even a real person.  People are paying $60 per hour to talk to a computer. 

What was that movie with Joakim Phoenix where he was dating a computer?  That movie was sort of charming.  I wasn't hoping to see it become reality.

Her, was the name of the movie, it also starred Scarlett Johansson.

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 01:23:14 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
It shows the brokenness and loneliness of many people. It's sad. If they only knew that there's someone real who loves them.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 02:20:50 PM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
It shows the brokenness and loneliness of many people. It's sad. If they only knew that there's someone real who loves them.

This, a thousand times over. I feel truly sorry for them.

Sadly, I anticipate that we are going to see a lot more of it, not less.

Mike

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 02:35:36 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
i'd be ok w bots replacing actual celebrities in many cases i think

wave of the future!
hooray!

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2023, 02:53:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
i'd be ok w bots replacing actual celebrities in many cases i think

wave of the future!
hooray!

Except here, the "celebrity" still exists, they're just having a bot "chat" with suckers rather than themselves.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2023, 03:29:54 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Virtual influencers are all the rage in Korea, with some of the most popular ones amassing millions of followers. But while they may be entertaining and innovative, there's something inherently sad about these virtual creations taking the place of real human beings. 😔

Take for example, Imma - a virtual influencer with over 300k followers on Instagram. She looks and acts like a real person, but she's not. And while her posts may be visually stunning, it's disheartening to think that young people may be idolizing and emulating someone who doesn't even exist in the real world. 💔

Similarly, virtual K-pop groups like K/DA and Aespa have taken the music industry by storm, but at what cost? Is it really healthy for young fans to obsess over virtual idols that have been created and manipulated by technology? 🤖

While there's no denying the creativity and novelty of virtual influencers in Korea, it's important to question the impact they have on our society and what they say about our relationship with technology. What are your thoughts on this topic?

just for fun, i asked chatgpt to write about virtual influencers in korea. this is what i got. actually, it writes better than many people i know.

heck, posting here just got easier!!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2023, 03:53:26 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Cost aside, to each their own... I mean, real or not, how many of us have an emotional attachment to something? We are in sports fandom after all, yet we have an emotional attachment to this that doesn't (for the most part) interact personally with us.

What about movies, is it pathetic to get an emotional response while watching one? I mean, that's not real... what about books? And so on and so forth. What about pets that are basically trained to love us?

In the end, I couldn't care less about what people do with their time if it helps them feel less lonely in this world, as fake as it may be.

But yeah I'm sure there's a wide range of users and it can get creepy quite fast, but I'm not going to knock the technology.

In the end, whatever... I find it better than used panties vending machines.

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2023, 03:57:56 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
There is a lot of discussion these days about the epidemic of loneliness, in particular with men.  Scott Galloway is one of the louder voices in this but it is gaining traction.  US Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy released an advisory to this.  The issue is potentially more serious than just being sad.  It makes people susceptible to crazy conspiracy theories and violence and all sorts of other things.

The internet is the main issue in all of this and now these AI bots is just another level of potential harm take advantage of those that are vulnerable.

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2023, 05:19:13 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Virtual influencers are all the rage in Korea, with some of the most popular ones amassing millions of followers. But while they may be entertaining and innovative, there's something inherently sad about these virtual creations taking the place of real human beings. 😔

Take for example, Imma - a virtual influencer with over 300k followers on Instagram. She looks and acts like a real person, but she's not. And while her posts may be visually stunning, it's disheartening to think that young people may be idolizing and emulating someone who doesn't even exist in the real world. 💔

Similarly, virtual K-pop groups like K/DA and Aespa have taken the music industry by storm, but at what cost? Is it really healthy for young fans to obsess over virtual idols that have been created and manipulated by technology? 🤖

While there's no denying the creativity and novelty of virtual influencers in Korea, it's important to question the impact they have on our society and what they say about our relationship with technology. What are your thoughts on this topic?

just for fun, i asked chatgpt to write about virtual influencers in korea. this is what i got. actually, it writes better than many people i know.

heck, posting here just got easier!!  ;D

Man, Korea/China/Japan produce some weird stuff.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis