Author Topic: Celtics (1-1) at 76ers (1-1) Round 2 Game #3 5/4/23  (Read 31927 times)

Re: Celtics (1-1) at 76ers (1-1) Round 2 Game #3 5/4/23
« Reply #1005 on: May 06, 2023, 02:23:36 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Anyone thought Doris Burke was extremely upset that Boston won last night?

She was gushing all over Harden sinking the 3. But when Tatum made the silencing dagger, she had nothing to blast about and was just "wow.." lol

Obvious bias is obvious

It does feel like there is more anti-Boston sentiment in the commentators in general with this Celtics team over the last 2 years. Not just last night.

I don't why but they don't seem as admired as other teams. Our top players do not seem as admired as top players on other teams. Tatum doesn't get the same treatment as Jimmy Butler or Joel Embiid. Our team doesn't get the same love as other teams.

I don't understand why. This is a really cool team. Lots of good guard play. Good perimeter action. Versatile skilled forwards. Solid big men. Skilled big in Horford. Teamwork. Depth. Defense. Offense. Fun team.

I'm not so sure its Anti-Boston (or anti Brown/Tatum) bias, I think the national commentators/media just desperately want this to be a close series. A close series means more eyeballs, more hype, more money to be made. If Boston rolls that's disappointing from a league wide perspective. And the early news of the Embiid injury seemed to take a little bit of the wind out of the sails in terms of series hype. So it feels like people (the broadcast crew included) are just sort of trying to gas up the Sixers a little bit to get the interest back.

« Reply #1006 on: May 06, 2023, 02:37:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

She was gushing all over Harden sinking the 3. But when Tatum made the silencing dagger, she had nothing to blast about and was just "wow.." lol

Obvious bias is obvious

It does feel like there is more anti-Boston sentiment in the commentators in general with this Celtics team over the last 2 years. Not just last night.

I don't why but they don't seem as admired as other teams. Our top players do not seem as admired as top players on other teams. Tatum doesn't get the same treatment as Jimmy Butler or Joel Embiid. Our team doesn't get the same love as other teams.

I don't understand why. This is a really cool team. Lots of good guard play. Good perimeter action. Versatile skilled forwards. Solid big men. Skilled big in Horford. Teamwork. Depth. Defense. Offense. Fun team.

I'm not so sure its Anti-Boston (or anti Brown/Tatum) bias, I think the national commentators/media just desperately want this to be a close series. A close series means more eyeballs, more hype, more money to be made. If Boston rolls that's disappointing from a league wide perspective. And the early news of the Embiid injury seemed to take a little bit of the wind out of the sails in terms of series hype. So it feels like people (the broadcast crew included) are just sort of trying to gas up the Sixers a little bit to get the interest back.

Yeah. I still think Doris Burke is an actual Sixers fan (can someone confirm this?) because I notice she's ALWAYS hyping them up even when they play a team like the Lakers or Warriors. I think her son-in law is from PA and she mentioned that before, but I could be wrong

But anyways, last round when we played ATL, I thought we got a ton of love and the Hawks really didn't. It's just what it is. LA, San Francisco (Golden State), Philly and New York are the biggest markets and will get the most love. I think Miami also largely gets it because of Wade + Lebron in the past, and Riley + Spoelstra still being there, plus Butler is an animal and hard to dislike (except when playing him)

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1007 on: May 06, 2023, 02:39:11 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
76ers fans in LibertyBallers think they can win 3 straight and end this in 6, and using the Suns' series and 2019 Raptors series as a comparison. That Raptors team had Kawhi, while that 76ers team had Butler. This squad of theirs is far more inferior.

They in for a rude awakening. Hope the Celtics don't beat themselves...go hard in Game 4 and take 'em out.

If the Celtics play with this defensive intensity and limit turnovers, no team is beating them three times in a row. 

I understand Philly's hope:  Game 3 was close despite Harden disappearing and Maxey being lousy.  The Celtics have a recent history of lacking focus and intensity.  So, they've got to hope for a better Harden and complacency from Boston.

thing is, this is really who Harden is. the game 1 harden was more the outlier than his last 2 games. he wasnt really great in the nets series either.

seems like Jaylen guards him pretty well once they made that shift.

« Reply #1008 on: May 06, 2023, 03:51:43 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
76ers fans in LibertyBallers think they can win 3 straight and end this in 6, and using the Suns' series and 2019 Raptors series as a comparison. That Raptors team had Kawhi, while that 76ers team had Butler. This squad of theirs is far more inferior.

They in for a rude awakening. Hope the Celtics don't beat themselves...go hard in Game 4 and take 'em out.

If the Celtics play with this defensive intensity and limit turnovers, no team is beating them three times in a row. 

I understand Philly's hope:  Game 3 was close despite Harden disappearing and Maxey being lousy.  The Celtics have a recent history of lacking focus and intensity.  So, they've got to hope for a better Harden and complacency from Boston.

thing is, this is really who Harden is. the game 1 harden was more the outlier than his last 2 games. he wasnt really great in the nets series either.

I agree that Game 1 is an outlier.  But I don't think Game 2/3 Harden is the standard, either.  I expect more in the range of 20 points, 10 assists, decent efficiency, lots of FTs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1009 on: May 06, 2023, 03:54:18 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Butler doing it all for Miami so far.

« Reply #1010 on: May 06, 2023, 04:22:49 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo

I agree that Game 1 is an outlier.  But I don't think Game 2/3 Harden is the standard, either.  I expect more in the range of 20 points, 10 assists, decent efficiency, lots of FTs.

Yeah I could see that. Although Looking at his splits from the nets series

23, 8, 21 and 17. So half of his games were less than 20 points. And the 23 point game was 38% shooting. So he has been pretty mediocre

« Reply #1011 on: May 06, 2023, 04:26:46 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
Was glad to see the Tatum turnaround fade return. Not sure why he doesn't do that as much anymore. It's almost automatic

« Reply #1012 on: May 06, 2023, 07:00:31 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553

i just won on spread with miami. was 4.5 points. they won by 19. knew they would roll knicks,
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #1013 on: May 06, 2023, 07:46:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Was glad to see the Tatum turnaround fade return. Not sure why he doesn't do that as much anymore. It's almost automatic
Especially with his added concrete threat of an inside game. He can go into the paint with the best of the wings
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1014 on: May 06, 2023, 08:08:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

i just won on spread with miami. was 4.5 points. they won by 19. knew they would roll knicks,

Was so close to winning a parlay for $700, just needed Butler to score 30+. Sadly he ended on 27...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1015 on: May 06, 2023, 09:50:40 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

I agree with your overall point, but Harden did have 16 points and 11 assists in Game 3. Recently, his stats are rarely as sexy as they appear from the outside looking in.

« Reply #1016 on: May 07, 2023, 01:21:09 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Obvious bias is obvious

Yeah. I still think Doris Burke is an actual Sixers fan (can someone confirm this?) because I notice she's ALWAYS hyping them up even when they play a team like the Lakers or Warriors. I think her son-in law is from PA and she mentioned that before, but I could be wrong

But anyways, last round when we played ATL, I thought we got a ton of love and the Hawks really didn't. It's just what it is. LA, San Francisco (Golden State), Philly and New York are the biggest markets and will get the most love. I think Miami also largely gets it because of Wade + Lebron in the past, and Riley + Spoelstra still being there, plus Butler is an animal and hard to dislike (except when playing him)

It's funny because when you check out the Sixers Reddit there's plenty of hate for Doris  :police:

It's probably just human nature that when we're used to listening to local broadcasters like Mike and Scal (and Tommy) and then have to listen to national broadcasters that don't constantly praise our team it gets a little jarring.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #1017 on: May 07, 2023, 05:35:33 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I’m surprised the Philly fans don’t like her too. I thought she really hyped Philly’s players….even Danuel House!