Author Topic: Do you still believe  (Read 12598 times)

Re: Do you still believe
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2023, 11:21:37 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
These guys and particularly Joe make a six year old girl look like John Wick.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2023, 11:55:34 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273
what did we expect? when the calendar hit 2023, the team regressed dramatically under joe’s “leadership.” defensive intensity, which was this team’s identity and competitive edge, was gone. defensive rebounding became a tremendous weakness and allowed lesser teams to stay in games.

the offense devolved into undisciplined street ball, marked by selfish iso by the J’s, jacking threes, little-to-no ball movement, lazy turnovers, and spotty free throw shooting. notice how the sixers remained disciplined on offense by leveraging the advantage they held in the high pnr and switch on horford? the overmatched hawks did the same and extended their series to six games. when do you recall the C’s ever playing disciplined offense by consistently exploiting an advantage or mismatch like this during joe’s tenure?

these guys thought it was their turn to be coronated and the rest of the nba would bend over. the hope we’ve enjoyed over the past five years was fool’s gold. we have an inexperienced GM, a rookie HC who’s clearly in over his head, and two of the softest all-stars in the league. the only way out is a new GM, a new HC, and trading the J’s for as many draft picks as a sucker GM is willing to give the C’s.

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2023, 01:03:37 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
No.

And even if they find a way to miraculously take the next two, they're losing to the Heat.

Let me reiterate- they are not getting past the #1-seeded Miami Heat team.

Celtics look like frauds. The 76ers may also look like frauds against them

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2023, 01:25:25 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Before tonight they've won a blowout, won somewhat comfortably, and lost two games that came down to basically the last play. They are completely capable of winning two in a row against the 76ers.

Will they? I don't know. But I do not think They'll just fold and give out. I expect max effort.

« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2023, 03:21:22 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Nope, cause they don't care. Brown has one foot out the door because of all the trade talk. Tatum was satisfied with winning ASG MVP...and we got a BUM as Coach...so, nope.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2023, 03:24:51 AM »

Offline mig3zwo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Before tonight they've won a blowout, won somewhat comfortably, and lost two games that came down to basically the last play. They are completely capable of winning two in a row against the 76ers.

Will they? I don't know. But I do not think They'll just fold and give out. I expect max effort.

exactly my thoughts... they can still do it.
lets be fans - support them. all we can really do.
a limbo dancer walks into a bar

« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2023, 03:31:23 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Always until it is done.  It is not done.

That said, the coach isn't shooting terrible shots and missing.  The coach isn't making bad passes.  The coach isn't defending the other team.  It is easy to blame the coach when things go badly (Milwaukee did that as well), and Joe is obviously a young coach that has made some mistakes, but he isn't on the floor missing shots, turning it over, and not defending.

Also, while I thought Boston would win the series, I was concerned because Embiid is the best player in it by a pretty wide margin (if healthy - and he is pretty close to 100% now) and the Sixers have a lot of solid good fitting talent around him.  All of that matters, especially in the post season.  And while Tatum is a better player than Harden, Harden has been the 2nd best player in the 5 games of this series.  That matters even more.  Maxey and Harris are excellent 3rd and 4th options and Tucker, Melton, Niang, and Reed are at least competent. 

The Celtics depth has been greatly overstated by this board and the media all season.  The guard depth is excellent, but the team really only goes 3 deep down low with Horford and the Williamses.  Tatum plays PF way too much because there just isn't anyone else.  It has been a disaster and a team with Embiid is just too much for the C's to handle.  Even with that though, Boston should have won this series in 5 games.  The guards and wings have been the problem as they just can't consistently shoot and the defense on Harden has been awful.

Players earn some blame, but Joe changed the identity of the team.
Seems like everyone took a step back except for white.

The guy is getting out coached by rivers. He was out coached by Quinn. 

This league is dominated by talent mostly. Just think how bad a coach has to be to negate the adv this team has over one like philly.
My main point was that Philly is just as talented as Boston.  I really don't understand how the narrative was started that Boston is the most talented and deepest team in the league.
That's because you never appropriately rank Bostonian talent. Hope that clears things up for you
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2023, 03:56:03 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

That said, the coach isn't shooting terrible shots and missing.  The coach isn't making bad passes.  The coach isn't defending the other team.  It is easy to blame the coach when things go badly (Milwaukee did that as well), and Joe is obviously a young coach that has made some mistakes, but he isn't on the floor missing shots, turning it over, and not defending.

Also, while I thought Boston would win the series, I was concerned because Embiid is the best player in it by a pretty wide margin (if healthy - and he is pretty close to 100% now) and the Sixers have a lot of solid good fitting talent around him.  All of that matters, especially in the post season.  And while Tatum is a better player than Harden, Harden has been the 2nd best player in the 5 games of this series.  That matters even more.  Maxey and Harris are excellent 3rd and 4th options and Tucker, Melton, Niang, and Reed are at least competent. 

The Celtics depth has been greatly overstated by this board and the media all season.  The guard depth is excellent, but the team really only goes 3 deep down low with Horford and the Williamses.  Tatum plays PF way too much because there just isn't anyone else.  It has been a disaster and a team with Embiid is just too much for the C's to handle.  Even with that though, Boston should have won this series in 5 games.  The guards and wings have been the problem as they just can't consistently shoot and the defense on Harden has been awful.

This league is dominated by talent mostly. Just think how bad a coach has to be to negate the adv this team has over one like philly.
My main point was that Philly is just as talented as Boston.  I really don't understand how the narrative was started that Boston is the most talented and deepest team in the league.
That's because you never appropriately rank Bostonian talent. Hope that clears things up for you

We have great wing depth and our players usually stay healthy - things you can’t say about Philadelphia.

Embiid played his ass off last night, but it’s just as likely his ass literally falls off, season to season.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2023, 04:33:27 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
Well, in the prediction thread before the series, I said Celtics in 7 and predicted an epic series.  So I kinda implied that the Sixers would have 3 wins at some point....

Sooo.....ride or die.

Same. I said eithers C's in 7 or Sixers in 6. Kinda thought that C's in 7 in that they're up 3-2 and blow game 6 away. Not the other way around.

Surprised but not surprised that a lot of folks thought this was a Celtics sweep or C's in 5.

Based on recent playoff series vs Philly and Boston's dominance in regular season over them.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2023, 04:42:40 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Easily the worst performance of the playoffs from them. Their main flaw of letting poor offense dictate poor defense reared its ugly head again. Letting Maxey score 30 points by going under screens is just unforgiveable. This team really is its own worst enemy. Horford and Smart were very disappointing.

I do have to give credit to the Sixers, they've shown a lot of fight. I quite possibly underrated them on the basis of regular season performance. They have guys that have stepped up at various times, Harden twice and then Maxey.

BUT...it ain't over till the fat lady sings. Even though she seems to be entering stage left  :-\
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2023, 04:55:26 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
No.

And even if they find a way to miraculously take the next two, they're losing to the Heat.

Let me reiterate- they are not getting past the #1-seeded Miami Heat team.

Celtics look like frauds. The 76ers may also look like frauds against them

You know what though, this is what a wide-open, high-parity playoff in the NBA looks like. We have the 6th and 7th seed in the West, and the 8th seed in the East making it through to the second round.

Think about it this way - imagine the grief you'd be getting at the start of the playoffs if you'd said we might be looking at a 76ers-Heat ECF?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2023, 06:11:18 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

The Sixers have the best player in the series and 3 of the 5 best players.  The Sixers 4th best player is better than Boston's 4th best player and I don't think it is particularly close.  Now sure I'd take Smart and Rob over Tucker and Melton, but the Sixer players aren't unhealthy idiots either and actually fit better with the top 4 (Smart is fine fit wise but is basically the same player as White).  The deeper rotation is about the same. 

I thought Boston would win the series because I thought Tatum would be able to mostly keep pace with Embiid and Brown would clearly be the 3rd best player on the floor.  Neither of those things have happened thus far.

2 games left in the series that Boston can easily win, but they have to play better on both ends.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2023, 06:16:46 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
I believe I don’t really care either way at this point.
Unlikeable team

« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2023, 06:38:06 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I believe we are in trouble.

« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2023, 06:53:39 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
No. This isn’t last season. This team has to make a lot of 3s to win. They play zero defense. They have no coaching.

Unfortunately I see them going out with zero fight in game 6.