Author Topic: Fire Joe! ... or critique Joe ... or defend Joe... or worry about Joe's coaching  (Read 208907 times)

Donoghus, celts55, Celtics2021 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: Fire Joe!
« Reply #870 on: May 25, 2023, 11:04:10 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Did Joe just saved his job after Game 5?

If we lose on Saturday, then it won't matter at all. It'll be marginally better than getting swept, but it'll still be the same result in the end.

By taking this one game at a time, they've now given themselves a chance. Of course if they do come out and win the series, then Joe is safe for a while.

Unless we absolutely no show in game six, I think these two wins bought him another year at least, fair or not.

Not perfect, but he's looked much more active and competent the last two games and hasn't just sat on his hands on the sidelines.  Hopefully that keeps up.

« Reply #871 on: May 25, 2023, 11:19:48 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Somehow after game 3 he learned how to call time-outs. Or maybe it's just me.

« Reply #872 on: May 25, 2023, 11:22:35 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2960
  • On To Banner 18!

If we lose on Saturday, then it won't matter at all. It'll be marginally better than getting swept, but it'll still be the same result in the end.

By taking this one game at a time, they've now given themselves a chance. Of course if they do come out and win the series, then Joe is safe for a while.

Unless we absolutely no show in game six, I think these two wins bought him another year at least, fair or not.

Not perfect, but he's looked much more active and competent the last two games and hasn't just sat on his hands on the sidelines.  Hopefully that keeps up.

Yeah agreed

I only see him fired after Game 6 IF they get blown out like Game 3 AND the players basically have a mutiny against him. Then Wyc and CBS may have no choice

Otherwise they may just stick with mostly the same roster and coach.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #873 on: May 25, 2023, 11:23:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Somehow after game 3 he learned how to call time-outs. Or maybe it's just me.

He's done a pretty good job managing the last two games.  I think he's been learning from watching Soo. ;)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #874 on: May 25, 2023, 11:27:41 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1441
Glad he talked to the team about playing defense the last two games. Now we just need him to do the same for 2 more.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 11:46:28 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #875 on: May 25, 2023, 11:27:53 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595
He said it started with defense during a TO. First time I've heard him say that.

It's still unacceptable it got to this point, but I'll take it I guess.

Win gm 6 and gm 7 is a formality.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #876 on: May 25, 2023, 11:59:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412

Yeah, we're stuck with him.

Agreed. Joe will be back next year.

« Reply #877 on: May 26, 2023, 12:11:49 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
He may have - unless Tatum or Brown went to Wyc and said 'not him', which I doubt. He's may have earned a return with his own staff - provided that one of them is an ex NBA head coach that Brad/ownership sign off on.

« Reply #878 on: May 26, 2023, 12:57:33 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
He may have - unless Tatum or Brown went to Wyc and said 'not him', which I doubt. He's may have earned a return with his own staff - provided that one of them is an ex NBA head coach that Brad/ownership sign off on.
I think this is a good compromise. Let him stay and have a say in who to bring in, with the only prerequisite being that it has to be an experienced NBA coach. Bring in someone like Vogel or MDA.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #879 on: May 26, 2023, 02:58:30 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375
I felt he was always going to be back...Brad and Wyc weren't going to overreact to a few bad games. It just means he may have a bit less pressure on him now than if we've been swept.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #880 on: May 26, 2023, 02:59:02 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375
Glad he talked to the team about playing defense the last two games. Now we just need him to do the same for 2 more.

I'm glad the team decided to play defense. If he needed to talk to them to get them to do it I would have serious concerns about them  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #881 on: May 26, 2023, 04:32:41 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733

My preference is that we win the title and fire Joe anyway.  8)
If we were to somehow win this title, it would be because the players decided among themselves to crank up the defense and intensity, to play consistent team offense within themselves and not because Mazzulla made any significant contribution.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #882 on: May 26, 2023, 04:39:56 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733

Yeah agreed

I only see him fired after Game 6 IF they get blown out like Game 3 AND the players basically have a mutiny against him. Then Wyc and CBS may have no choice

Which will result in another wasted season for a team with championship level talent.
Do you actually think Red would sit around and tolerate this incompetence ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #883 on: May 26, 2023, 05:19:24 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Yeah agreed

Which will result in another wasted season for a team with championship level talent.
Do you actually think Red would sit around and tolerate this incompetence ?

I think it's reasonable to give him some rope considering it's not just Udoka who's left, but also Stat and Hardy - and the timeline doesn't leave them with much time to replace all three:
  • Hardy goes to Utah as HC on June 29, officially. He goes on to lead the Jazz to a 37-45 record.
  • Udoka is suspended by the Celtics on September 22, officially. Mazzulla named interim HC at the same time.
  • Mazz loses the 'interim' title on February 16, officially. The C's are 42-17.
  • Stat is named Georgia Tech's new HC on March 12, officially.
  • The wheels start to fall off for the Celtics soon after.

That's a lot of brain drain for one season with not a lot of time to replace them because of the timing. Two more of Udoka's assistants could be leaving for Houston, so it really depends on how Mazz & Stevens restock the coaching staff before we can pass judgement on them, I think.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #884 on: May 26, 2023, 06:12:18 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
It seems he’s made the right adjustments and may save his job.  I just wish he’d make the necessary adjustments a bit quicker.