Author Topic: Fire Joe! ... or critique Joe ... or defend Joe... or worry about Joe's coaching  (Read 153257 times)

michigan adam and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Fire Joe!
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2023, 09:14:37 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
You can't even make this stuff up.

The layups were nice, but they did get the Celtics away from what they do best. They took 26 3-pointers, their second-lowest total over the last two years. “I don’t think 26 3s is a recipe for our success as a team," Mazzulla said.

We lost last night because...  we didn't shoot enough threes! 

Not the 16 turnovers, not the atrocious defense.  In spite of the 58.7% shooting and easy layups, it's the lack of threes that cost us the game.

I swear, if I was Wyc I'd fire him today.

This quote does seem strange.  It is true that PHI had 38 3PA to our 26.   PHI made 45%, we made 38.5%.  That is 51 points to 30 points from 3.  That is a big difference.  Joe didn't say this very well but it is a point of strategy.  We need to defend so that they get fewer 3s and attack so we get more 3s, at least more than the ratio in this game.  I am OK with that.

More concerning to me though is the 89 overall shot attempts by PHI to 75 by BOS.   Those 14 extra shots for PHI, many of them turning out to be 3s, is where the meat is.  Most of these extra shots are due to turnovers (16 to 6).  FTs/fouls (18 FTA to 12) was a factor also, we had more possessions that resulted in FTs, reducing our FGAs, which is OK, the good side of attacking.  To me, this is where the main coaching focus should be, take care of the ball!  Attacking to draw fouls is good too, but many of our "attacks" resulted in sloppy turnovers.  Executing the offense to get a few more 3s is a secondary (to reducing TOs) focus, at best.  But I would rather jack a 3 than dribble into a crowd that results in a TO.  I think that is Mazzulla's point.  Hopefully he can communicate this better to the players than he sounded in the quote to the reporter.

Yeah, I think he's just wrong, for the reasons you articulated.  If we took the exact same shots, we would have won going away if we had either played some semblance of defense, or lowered our turnovers.  The shot selection wasn't the issue, as our offense was extremely efficient.

I worry that Joe is preaching to the team that they somehow did something wrong by attacking the basket and getting a bunch of layups. Only an idiot coach would be disappointed with his team getting so many inside shots and baskets, and yet here we are.

yup and that really worries me.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2023, 09:22:20 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
So I’m probably gonna get some blowback for saying this but I’m gonna go ahead and do it because it’s kind of the underlying elephant in the room with all of this.

Will this team really have the balls to fire two young African American coaches, in consecutive years, after each in their only season had over 50 wins and was at the top of their conference.

……AND on top of that, replace him with a white head coach.  Jaylens head will explode along with the entire sports media.

Ain’t gonna happen.  They’ve already endorsed him, I doubt they’ll fire him.  And if they do, there’s zippy chance you’ll see Nurse or Vogel brought in.

Sorry to make this political, but it’s going to be a factor

100% people will bring this up and not because they think the Celtics organization is prejudice but because they know it will get them attention. It will get people talking and draw attention which talking heads love to do. It's all about clicks and viewers. What is a good way of doing that? Creating a story just like that. Guaranteed they fire Joe and we will hear about racist Boston for sure. Forget the fact that Mazzulla is in way over his head and should be let go, that isn't a sexy story. Saying Boston fired two young black coaches in consecutive years, now we are talking.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 09:27:34 PM by Banner18now! »

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2023, 12:23:44 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
He was given the spot last minute and the team managed to get the second best record in the league and (I think) the best record against teams with winning records.  Yes, the last series took longer than it should have and the team lost game 1 of this series.  But they looked good  in the win last night.  Can we give him a chance before we bury him?

« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2023, 01:09:32 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
It's threads like this that I assume Jaylen was talking about in his New York Times interview. It's really disheartening.

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2023, 03:58:52 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
It's threads like this that I assume Jaylen was talking about in his New York Times interview. It's really disheartening.

If JB has an issue with fans calling out the coach for doing a poor job then he can stick it.

If he's going to be so bothered by what people say, he's softer than a marshmallow.

I'd hope this is not the case.

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2023, 04:04:01 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

The layups were nice, but they did get the Celtics away from what they do best. They took 26 3-pointers, their second-lowest total over the last two years. “I don’t think 26 3s is a recipe for our success as a team," Mazzulla said.

Not the 16 turnovers, not the atrocious defense.  In spite of the 58.7% shooting and easy layups, it's the lack of threes that cost us the game.

This quote does seem strange.  It is true that PHI had 38 3PA to our 26.   PHI made 45%, we made 38.5%.  That is 51 points to 30 points from 3.  That is a big difference.  Joe didn't say this very well but it is a point of strategy.  We need to defend so that they get fewer 3s and attack so we get more 3s, at least more than the ratio in this game.  I am OK with that.

More concerning to me though is the 89 overall shot attempts by PHI to 75 by BOS.   Those 14 extra shots for PHI, many of them turning out to be 3s, is where the meat is.  Most of these extra shots are due to turnovers (16 to 6).  FTs/fouls (18 FTA to 12) was a factor also, we had more possessions that resulted in FTs, reducing our FGAs, which is OK, the good side of attacking.  To me, this is where the main coaching focus should be, take care of the ball!  Attacking to draw fouls is good too, but many of our "attacks" resulted in sloppy turnovers.  Executing the offense to get a few more 3s is a secondary (to reducing TOs) focus, at best.  But I would rather jack a 3 than dribble into a crowd that results in a TO.  I think that is Mazzulla's point.  Hopefully he can communicate this better to the players than he sounded in the quote to the reporter.

Yeah, I think he's just wrong, for the reasons you articulated.  If we took the exact same shots, we would have won going away if we had either played some semblance of defense, or lowered our turnovers.  The shot selection wasn't the issue, as our offense was extremely efficient.

I worry that Joe is preaching to the team that they somehow did something wrong by attacking the basket and getting a bunch of layups. Only an idiot coach would be disappointed with his team getting so many inside shots and baskets, and yet here we are.

So, for the people calling Joe an “idiot coach”.

The team finished the year under this “idiot coach” with the second best record in the league, a top-5 offense and defense. He helped keep their heads on straight in what could have been a disaster pi’s off-season. You’ll say he’s a basketball idiot, but he could run rings around you in his knowledge of the game. Walking on his hands.

And since we are going to talk about race, I’ve seen too many posts calling him into question as an affirmative action coach. Apparently,  he’s got to work twice as hard to prove himself because of his race.  If there is affirmative action in the NBA coaching ranks, then for a very long time it has been heavily in favor of white coaches.

« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2023, 04:12:25 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55

The team finished the year under this “idiot coach” with the second best record in the league, a top-5 offense and defense. He helped keep their heads on straight in what could have been a disaster pi’s off-season. You’ll say he’s a basketball idiot, but he could run rings around you in his knowledge of the game. Walking on his hands.

And since we are going to talk about race, I’ve seen too many posts calling him into question as an affirmative action coach. Apparently,  he’s got to work twice as hard to prove himself because of his race.  If there is affirmative action in the NBA coaching ranks, then for a very long time it has been heavily in favor of white coaches.

And the huge majority of black coaches were former NBA players.  I think this is changing in the right direction, though.

« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2023, 04:13:56 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
So I’m probably gonna get some blowback for saying this but I’m gonna go ahead and do it because it’s kind of the underlying elephant in the room with all of this.

Will this team really have the balls to fire two young African American coaches, in consecutive years, after each in their only season had over 50 wins and was at the top of their conference.

……AND on top of that, replace him with a white head coach.  Jaylens head will explode along with the entire sports media.

Ain’t gonna happen.  They’ve already endorsed him, I doubt they’ll fire him.  And if they do, there’s zippy chance you’ll see Nurse or Vogel brought in.

Sorry to make this political, but it’s going to be a factor

100% people will bring this up and not because they think the Celtics organization is prejudice but because they know it will get them attention. It will get people talking and draw attention which talking heads love to do. It's all about clicks and viewers. What is a good way of doing that? Creating a story just like that. Guaranteed they fire Joe and we will hear about racist Boston for sure. Forget the fact that Mazzulla is in way over his head and should be let go, that isn't a sexy story. Saying Boston fired two young black coaches in consecutive years, now we are talking.

I love when speculation becomes something to be angered about.  Greg - It’s your guess, it isn’t real, it’s what could be, but hasn’t happened. When Wyc and Brad keep a bad coach only because he’s Black - then be mad about it. Till then it’s just being mad for the sake of being mad.

« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2023, 04:21:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Luke Walton had the Warriors start something like 24-0 and 41-3.  He's objectively a bad coach by NBA standards.  He's probably an idiot compared to other NBA coaches, as well, but I am not aware of him ever having a philosophy as dumb as "shoot more threes" after a historically efficient performance. 

And, why do people never mention last year's team, when talking about the record and the offense / defense?  Over the second half of last year, we had a historically good point differential.  They finished the season 33-10, a 63 win.  After a hot start, this team finished on a 52 win pace, despite adding Brogdon, Hauser and a better Derrick White.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2023, 04:29:09 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590

You think Budenholzer is a better coach than Pop or Spo? He guided his team to a better record, and it wasn't close. If record is such a measure, then I'd like to know how he isn't a better coach.

He inherited a finals team that improved its roster over the summer. You don't have to be an amazing coach to rack up wins with the amount of talent this team has.

Yeah, he helped keep their heads on straight as long as the team wasn't playing against a weakened opponent. TBF, those games are not all his fault, but it keeps happening and he's yet to hold them accountable. That doesn't make him stupid however, just ineffective in this area. If he's going to remain coach, he has to figure out a way to get these guys to not take nights off during the playoffs.

He's called an idiot because he's the same guy that inexplicably allows his team to sink while hoarding TO's while also believing shooting more 3's is more important than good defense and taking care of the ball. IDK how to think differently because that's his main focus.

I'll never understand those who think that certain professionals are beyond reproach. If you take your car into be fixed and it never runs right, are you going to say "Well can't question the work because the mechanic know more about cars?" Think for yourself and stop worshiping authority.

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2023, 04:41:58 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

You think Budenholzer is a better coach than Pop or Spo? He guided his team to a better record, and it wasn't close. If record is such a measure, then I'd like to know how he isn't a better coach.

He inherited a finals team that improved its roster over the summer. You don't have to be an amazing coach to rack up wins with the amount of talent this team has.

Yeah, he helped keep their heads on straight as long as the team wasn't playing against a weakened opponent. TBF, those games are not all his fault, but it keeps happening and he's yet to hold them accountable. That doesn't make him stupid however, just ineffective in this area. If he's going to remain coach, he has to figure out a way to get these guys to not take nights off during the playoffs.

He's called an idiot because he's the same guy that inexplicably allows his team to sink while hoarding TO's while also believing shooting more 3's is more important than good defense and taking care of the ball. IDK how to think differently because that's his main focus.

I'll never understand those who think that certain professionals are beyond reproach. If you take your car into be fixed and it never runs right, are you going to say "Well can't question the work because the mechanic know more about cars?" Think for yourself and stop worshiping authority.

I don’t worship authority. I am morally certain that if the people who call him an idiot went into a room with him, and we asked everyone 100 questions about basketball – things like how to coach a player and how to respond to the way the other team is playing you - his answers would be infinitely better than the commenters.

I don’t have any problem with specific criticisms of specific decisions. Have at it. But if we want to talk about the way to approach life, how about not calling other people idiots who plainly aren’t?

The way you characterize his position is a gross distortion. As he said yesterday, he doesn't want the team to chuck up every bad three they see. He wants to see good threes taken after a good process. And if you look at the turnovers, the team had Dash which probably cost than the game – they came because they were forcing the ball in after the Sixers had jammed the paint. That was the time to play a drive and kick game and, yes, take more threes unless the Sixers re-opened the paint.

« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2023, 04:47:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I don’t worship authority. I am morally certain that if the people who call him an idiot went into a room with him, and we asked everyone 100 questions about basketball – things like how to coach a player and how to respond to the way the other team is playing you - his answers would be infinitely better than the commenters.

I don’t have any problem with specific criticisms of specific decisions. Have at it. But if we want to talk about the way to approach life, how about not calling other people idiots who plainly aren’t?

The way you characterize his position is a gross distortion. As he said yesterday, he doesn't want the team to chuck up every bad three they see. He wants to see good threes taken after a good process. And if you look at the turnovers, the team had Dash which probably cost than the game – they came because they were forcing the ball in after the Sixers had jammed the paint. That was the time to play a drive and kick game and, yes, take more threes unless the Sixers re-opened the paint.

He's an idiot relative to other NBA coaches, and my guess would be he's an idiot compared to most top assistant coaches, as well.  The basis of that is 1) the idiotic things he frequently says; 2) his inability to make adjustments in real time; 3) his inability to process information even in hindsight; 4) he chokes women.

And, after reading his study guide / flash cards that were linked to on here, I'm not sure that his basketball knowledge is all that special compared to some of the folks on here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2023, 04:51:33 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I wasn't aware that he still chokes women. I thought he did that once. I guess I'm the idiot for not knowing this.

Joe is a rookie NBA head coach. I see no reason to try to compare him to guys that have been coaching for much longer.

« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2023, 04:56:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I wasn't aware that he still chokes women. I thought he did that once. I guess I'm the idiot for not knowing this.

Joe is a rookie NBA head coach. I see no reason to try to compare him to guys that have been coaching for much longer.

Why should a championship contender settle for a poor coach just because he's a rookie?  Also, roomie coach Ime wasn't nearly this bad.

And, violent abusers don't get much forgiveness from me.  It's a sign he's a coward.

« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2023, 04:58:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Once is still absolutely beyond the acceptable limit (barring whatever private life one might live)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)