Author Topic: Fire Joe! ... or critique Joe ... or defend Joe... or worry about Joe's coaching  (Read 166936 times)

Re: Fire Joe!
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2023, 03:12:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
You guys remember last year in the playoffs when almost every series and game, we were just swarming the opposing star players and playing exceptional defense. Guys were moving all around, combating everything in-play (rebounds, misses), and forcing guys to make decisions through the swarming (often leading to bad shots or turnovers).

I see absolutely none of that now. It's sometimes just double-teaming but not being physical with it and leaving guys wide open, or a lot of drop coverage which never works nowadays. Smart has also regressed from being a DPOY-caliber player.

Yep.  It's the difference between "Algerian Street Fighter" Ime and "Chokes Women" Mazzulla.  One was tough as nails, the other is a soft coward.

https://nesn.com/2021/06/this-ime-udoka-brawl-story-will-have-fans-fired-up-about-reported-celtics-hire/

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2023, 03:20:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
You guys remember last year in the playoffs when almost every series and game, we were just swarming the opposing star players and playing exceptional defense. Guys were moving all around, combating everything in-play (rebounds, misses), and forcing guys to make decisions through the swarming (often leading to bad shots or turnovers).

I see absolutely none of that now. It's sometimes just double-teaming but not being physical with it and leaving guys wide open, or a lot of drop coverage which never works nowadays. Smart has also regressed from being a DPOY-caliber player.

Yep.  It's the difference between "Algerian Street Fighter" Ime and "Chokes Women" Mazzulla.  One was tough as nails, the other is a soft coward.

https://nesn.com/2021/06/this-ime-udoka-brawl-story-will-have-fans-fired-up-about-reported-celtics-hire/

Mazzulla's strategy is pretty clearly to hit 3s and outscore opponents. Defense is an afterthought

He probably also believes we lost because we hit too many 2s instead of 3s, which is why PHI kept it close and ultimately pulled ahead late. All while ignoring that our own defense was very bad most of the night, including the final minutes
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2023, 04:04:09 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591

Last year when we lost it was due to sloppy play, this year it's sloppy play and bad coaching.
It's why I say that Ime's faults could be overcome easier than Joes due to the defense.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2023, 04:28:26 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
You can't even make this stuff up.

The layups were nice, but they did get the Celtics away from what they do best. They took 26 3-pointers, their second-lowest total over the last two years. “I don’t think 26 3s is a recipe for our success as a team," Mazzulla said.

We lost last night because...  we didn't shoot enough threes! 

Not the 16 turnovers, not the atrocious defense.  In spite of the 58.7% shooting and easy layups, it's the lack of threes that cost us the game.

I swear, if I was Wyc I'd fire him today.

This quote does seem strange.  It is true that PHI had 38 3PA to our 26.   PHI made 45%, we made 38.5%.  That is 51 points to 30 points from 3.  That is a big difference.  Joe didn't say this very well but it is a point of strategy.  We need to defend so that they get fewer 3s and attack so we get more 3s, at least more than the ratio in this game.  I am OK with that.

More concerning to me though is the 89 overall shot attempts by PHI to 75 by BOS.   Those 14 extra shots for PHI, many of them turning out to be 3s, is where the meat is.  Most of these extra shots are due to turnovers (16 to 6).  FTs/fouls (18 FTA to 12) was a factor also, we had more possessions that resulted in FTs, reducing our FGAs, which is OK, the good side of attacking.  To me, this is where the main coaching focus should be, take care of the ball!  Attacking to draw fouls is good too, but many of our "attacks" resulted in sloppy turnovers.  Executing the offense to get a few more 3s is a secondary (to reducing TOs) focus, at best.  But I would rather jack a 3 than dribble into a crowd that results in a TO.  I think that is Mazzulla's point.  Hopefully he can communicate this better to the players than he sounded in the quote to the reporter.

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2023, 04:48:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This playoff run and Mazzulla's moronic doubling down, both in-game and in media releases, has pushed me over the edge with him. I almost feel as if he's gaslighting us with what he's saying are the problems vs what the actual problems are.

Fire him, hire Nurse, hire D'Antoni as an assistant (if he's still interested). That is my dream
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2023, 04:54:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
You can't even make this stuff up.

The layups were nice, but they did get the Celtics away from what they do best. They took 26 3-pointers, their second-lowest total over the last two years. “I don’t think 26 3s is a recipe for our success as a team," Mazzulla said.

We lost last night because...  we didn't shoot enough threes! 

Not the 16 turnovers, not the atrocious defense.  In spite of the 58.7% shooting and easy layups, it's the lack of threes that cost us the game.

I swear, if I was Wyc I'd fire him today.

This quote does seem strange.  It is true that PHI had 38 3PA to our 26.   PHI made 45%, we made 38.5%.  That is 51 points to 30 points from 3.  That is a big difference.  Joe didn't say this very well but it is a point of strategy.  We need to defend so that they get fewer 3s and attack so we get more 3s, at least more than the ratio in this game.  I am OK with that.

More concerning to me though is the 89 overall shot attempts by PHI to 75 by BOS.   Those 14 extra shots for PHI, many of them turning out to be 3s, is where the meat is.  Most of these extra shots are due to turnovers (16 to 6).  FTs/fouls (18 FTA to 12) was a factor also, we had more possessions that resulted in FTs, reducing our FGAs, which is OK, the good side of attacking.  To me, this is where the main coaching focus should be, take care of the ball!  Attacking to draw fouls is good too, but many of our "attacks" resulted in sloppy turnovers.  Executing the offense to get a few more 3s is a secondary (to reducing TOs) focus, at best.  But I would rather jack a 3 than dribble into a crowd that results in a TO.  I think that is Mazzulla's point.  Hopefully he can communicate this better to the players than he sounded in the quote to the reporter.

Yeah, I think he's just wrong, for the reasons you articulated.  If we took the exact same shots, we would have won going away if we had either played some semblance of defense, or lowered our turnovers.  The shot selection wasn't the issue, as our offense was extremely efficient.

I worry that Joe is preaching to the team that they somehow did something wrong by attacking the basket and getting a bunch of layups. Only an idiot coach would be disappointed with his team getting so many inside shots and baskets, and yet here we are.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2023, 05:31:15 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
So I’m probably gonna get some blowback for saying this but I’m gonna go ahead and do it because it’s kind of the underlying elephant in the room with all of this.

Will this team really have the balls to fire two young African American coaches, in consecutive years, after each in their only season had over 50 wins and was at the top of their conference.

……AND on top of that, replace him with a white head coach.  Jaylens head will explode along with the entire sports media.

Ain’t gonna happen.  They’ve already endorsed him, I doubt they’ll fire him.  And if they do, there’s zippy chance you’ll see Nurse or Vogel brought in.

Sorry to make this political, but it’s going to be a factor
Greg

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2023, 05:37:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
So I’m probably gonna get some blowback for saying this but I’m gonna go ahead and do it because it’s kind of the underlying elephant in the room with all of this.

Will this team really have the balls to fire two young African American coaches, in consecutive years, after each in their only season had over 50 wins and was at the top of their conference.

……AND on top of that, replace him with a white head coach.  Jaylens head will explode along with the entire sports media.

Ain’t gonna happen.  They’ve already endorsed him, I doubt they’ll fire him.  And if they do, there’s zippy chance you’ll see Nurse or Vogel brought in.

This only seems to be an underlying elephant in the room to you. Nobody else seems to be interested in this.

Mazzulla obviously won't be let go because they've already committed to him. That was premature in the first place, but they did it regardless.

I know you specified Jaylen, but I think keeping the players happy factors in generally quite a lot. Mazz seems to do this, somehow. That probably matters most to Brad and Wyc, especially with Brown's impending FA
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2023, 05:50:42 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

This only seems to be an underlying elephant in the room to you. Nobody else seems to be interested in this.

Mazzulla obviously won't be let go because they've already committed to him. That was premature in the first place, but they did it regardless.

I know you specified Jaylen, but I think keeping the players happy factors in generally quite a lot. Mazz seems to do this, somehow. That probably matters most to Brad and Wyc, especially with Brown's impending FA

You could be right, perhaps I’m the only one concerning myself with this.  The national media though, didn’t have a problem bringing this up in regards to Ime, I’m willing to be bet it would become a big deal again if we were to fire Joe the following year after the Ime mess
Greg

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2023, 05:52:29 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

You could be right, perhaps I’m the only one concerning myself with this.  The national media though, didn’t have a problem bringing this up in regards to Ime, I’m willing to be bet it would become a big deal again if we were to fire Joe

If we completely flame out against Philly, I don't think the national media would be taking Joe's side. An eight year old can tell that he is in over his head.

« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2023, 05:52:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Yup ,  won’t fire before they can resign Brown for sure

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2023, 06:05:27 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

You could be right, perhaps I’m the only one concerning myself with this.  The national media though, didn’t have a problem bringing this up in regards to Ime, I’m willing to be bet it would become a big deal again if we were to fire Joe

If we completely flame out against Philly, I don't think the national media would be taking Joe's side. An eight year old can tell that he is in over his head.

Well, for the record, I don’t think we’re gonna flame out. I think we’ll recover nicely and have a good series all things considered.  We had a game like this against Miami last year and we recovered fine.

I disagree though, I think if we got swept this series and fire Joe  it would be a big deal.  Just factoring the circus with Ime on top of all of it.  Let’s hope we don’t have to find out one way or another
Greg

« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2023, 06:16:47 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26

Yup ,  won’t fire before they can resign Brown for sure

maybe I haven't been paying attention, but is Brown close to Joe?  If the coach keeps on underperforming in the playoff, would keeping Joe help keeping Brown?

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2023, 06:49:46 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591

You could be right, perhaps I’m the only one concerning myself with this.  The national media though, didn’t have a problem bringing this up in regards to Ime, I’m willing to be bet it would become a big deal again if we were to fire Joe the following year after the Ime mess

You're not off base. In today's climate its not crazy to think they would retain him for those reasons.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2023, 08:47:37 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553

Mazzulla's strategy is pretty clearly to hit 3s and outscore opponents. Defense is an afterthought

He probably also believes we lost because we hit too many 2s instead of 3s, which is why PHI kept it close and ultimately pulled ahead late. All while ignoring that our own defense was very bad most of the night, including the final minutes

absolute insanity. when you score like we did in the paint you keep doing it. you do not need all those threes if you keep making high % shots in the paint and they keep giving it to you. the issue is we did not play a lick of d. why start shooting lower % shots and risk shooting yourself out the game? crazy pills.

i've seen enough. joe is not the answer.
LET'S GO CELTICS!