Author Topic: Fire Joe! ... or critique Joe ... or defend Joe... or worry about Joe's coaching  (Read 153319 times)

Re: Fire Joe!
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2023, 11:45:49 AM »

Offline DocomoCelts

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 24
Nothing’s going to happen for the rest of this season, but it’ll be interesting to see what Wyc and Brad do if the Cs get bounced by the Sixers and especially if it’s ugly.

There must surely be viable candidates other than Ime out there. I’d love to see what Quinn Snyder could do with this team.

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2023, 11:55:09 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Nothing’s going to happen for the rest of this season, but it’ll be interesting to see what Wyc and Brad do if the Cs get bounced by the Sixers and especially if it’s ugly.

There must surely be viable candidates other than Ime out there. I’d love to see what Quinn Snyder could do with this team.

Would've loved Quinn Snyder but he's with the Hawks.

Nick Nurse. NBA champ. Even post-Kawhi, he almost took out the Celtics in 7 games in the bubble with Lowry and VanFleet. Deploying the box-and-1 strategy on Kemba. He'll get hard with this team. A real coach there.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2023, 11:56:12 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Zach Kram: The Celtics’ effective field goal percentage (65%) is the highest for any team in a playoff loss in NBA history.

Shoot more threes!

Seriously, when your team puts up one of the most efficient playoff performances in team history -- and one of the worst defensive performances -- and your response is "shoot more threes", you should be fired.  That day.  Because that's the message you're preaching to your players.

Can't believe this clown said that. He thinks these guys are Curry and Klay. Srsly. This guy is on Matt Patricia level of coaching.

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2023, 12:09:33 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533

I'd try to poach Spoelstra or Kerr but those are probably both moon shots. I'm looking at the teams left in the playoffs - practically all of them have coaches a level or more above Joe. I've liked Kenny Atkinson from back when he was with Brooklyn.

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2023, 12:41:39 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590

I'd try to poach Spoelstra or Kerr but those are probably both moon shots. I'm looking at the teams left in the playoffs - practically all of them have coaches a level or more above Joe. I've liked Kenny Atkinson from back when he was with Brooklyn.

Put spo on this team and we're a dynasty.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2023, 12:44:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Put spo on this team and we're a dynasty.
'

Yeah.  I think I'd offer the Heat whatever the maximum amount of cash is in trade, along with two first rounders, for Spoelstra.  And they'd probably still say no.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2023, 01:27:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Bobby Manning @RealBobManning
about 31 minutes ago
Joe Mazzulla on the defensive game plan last night, says “hindsight is 20-20” on the Harden double teams, and while defense is in this team’s DNA, “we manage the game with our offense” and turnovers cost Boston.

Here's the thing, Joe:  NBA games are 48 minutes long.  Teams get timeouts, other stoppages, and halftime.  Adjustments don't have to be in hindsight.  You're allowed to change your style of play mid-game.

Maybe another adjustment would be managing the game with defense, because playing like the worst defense in NBA history while focusing on shooting threes isn't working.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2023, 02:16:15 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
To be honest, I don’t think they will fire him. It’s his first year and they must see something they like.
So I’m hoping they at least add one if not two veteran assistants.
I have no idea who they have, but know they lost their top two. 
They need someone to give him some advice during the game, so he’s not always seeing things in hindsight.
Maybe someone who could point out that the drop coverage isn’t working, or maybe you don’t want to switch on every pick. Someone who can draw up an inbound play with 8 seconds to go that doesn’t have a bunch of guys standing around and terrible spacing.

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2023, 02:18:35 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
about 31 minutes ago
Joe Mazzulla on the defensive game plan last night, says “hindsight is 20-20” on the Harden double teams, and while defense is in this team’s DNA, “we manage the game with our offense” and turnovers cost Boston.

Here's the thing, Joe:  NBA games are 48 minutes long.  Teams get timeouts, other stoppages, and halftime.  Adjustments don't have to be in hindsight.  You're allowed to change your style of play mid-game.

Maybe another adjustment would be managing the game with defense, because playing like the worst defense in NBA history while focusing on shooting threes isn't working.

Any coach with a brain would know that adjustments in-game exists and defense wins championships. So he saying play better offense and out-offense their offense? That's what I'm getting lol. Maybe in NBA 2K but not in a real playoff game!

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2023, 02:22:25 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
He's a rookie coach. I don't think it would be fair to fire him if they don't win a championship. That being said, unfair things happen all the time. I'm sure the Bucks feel that its not fair that Middleton and Giannis got hurt.

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2023, 02:27:39 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
To be honest, I don’t think they will fire him. It’s his first year and they must see something they like.
So I’m hoping they at least add one if not two veteran assistants.
I have no idea who they have, but know they lost their top two. 
They need someone to give him some advice during the game, so he’s not always seeing things in hindsight.
Maybe someone who could point out that the drop coverage isn’t working, or maybe you don’t want to switch on every pick. Someone who can draw up an inbound play with 8 seconds to go that doesn’t have a bunch of guys standing around and terrible spacing.

If you need a guy to do all that , he should be the coach, not Joe.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2023, 02:30:56 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
about 31 minutes ago

He's right about one thing - we turned the ball over 16 times vs their 6. In a close game that really killed us.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2023, 02:58:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
about 31 minutes ago

He's right about one thing - we turned the ball over 16 times vs their 6. In a close game that really killed us.

And yet, he called the last play for Marcus, who promptly turned the ball over (one of his six turnovers on the night).

« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2023, 03:03:11 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
about 31 minutes ago

It is not an eloquent way of saying it but I think his point was that he felt it was turnovers that cost the game, not the defensive scheme.  I would take it one step further (and again, I only saw the 4th quarter), turnovers and wasted possessions due to sloppy execution cost them the 4th quarter.

I thought the defense was good in the 4th.  They did make an adjustment.  They didn't always switch on Harden when it was Horford as the second defender.  He did a kind of soft "show" off of Reed, let the primary defender get back to Harden, and then Horford sagged back to Reed.  There were still times that Horford ended up on Harden, but they weren't necessarily conceding this every time.  Harden responded by going 3-4 from 3 and 5-7 overall for 15 points in the 4th.  Most of the shots highly contested.

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2023, 03:05:56 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
You guys remember last year in the playoffs when almost every series and game, we were just swarming the opposing star players and playing exceptional defense. Guys were moving all around, combating everything in-play (rebounds, misses), and forcing guys to make decisions through the swarming (often leading to bad shots or turnovers).

I see absolutely none of that now. It's sometimes just double-teaming but not being physical with it and leaving guys wide open, or a lot of drop coverage which never works nowadays. Smart has also regressed from being a DPOY-caliber player.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller