Author Topic: Fire Joe! ... or critique Joe ... or defend Joe... or worry about Joe's coaching  (Read 172964 times)

soulman and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: Fire Joe!
« Reply #855 on: May 24, 2023, 10:40:09 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
I expect they run it back next year as is with a healthy Gallo. They add two vet coaches on the staff.

I'm fine with this, assuming they hire a competent head coach (and coaching staff).

not firing joe is called SETTLING and leaving him with this team who has a title window now open is beyond imbecilic.  brad is a soft weak person.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #856 on: May 24, 2023, 11:10:56 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
For all the crap we give Joe, we need to give him his props when he does well, too.

I thought last night was one of if not his best coached games this year. In particular, his timeout management was superb last night. He minimized several Heat runs with appropriately timed timeouts and good ATO plays afterwards. He’s also finally bit the bullet on GWill and played him nearly thirty minutes, which is a big step for him given what appears to be a personal vendetta against GWill.

Still had some questionable rotations, and I think he plays with fire when he takes Tatum out early in these games where the others don’t have it. Also, I still think his overall gameplan is fatally flawed and needs to be more dynamic and flexible.

It’s almost like the pressure made him get away from his natural instincts and be more assertive with the guys, which is exactly what they need. I hope we can see more of this moving forward, but unfortunately history suggests that this is a one game blip on the radar.

« Reply #857 on: May 24, 2023, 11:33:50 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
For all the crap we give Joe, we need to give him his props when he does well, too.

Do we, though?  If a coach does well once every five games, I think it's still okay to demand his reassignment. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #858 on: May 24, 2023, 11:52:38 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Brad Stevens was internally calling the shots when it comes to coaching last night's game, after the media unleashed fire post-Game 3.

Joe still isn't the answer and will never be the answer to this team.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #859 on: May 24, 2023, 12:35:09 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591

I thought last night was one of if not his best coached games this year. In particular, his timeout management was superb last night. He minimized several Heat runs with appropriately timed timeouts and good ATO plays afterwards. He’s also finally bit the bullet on GWill and played him nearly thirty minutes, which is a big step for him given what appears to be a personal vendetta against GWill.

Still had some questionable rotations, and I think he plays with fire when he takes Tatum out early in these games where the others don’t have it. Also, I still think his overall gameplan is fatally flawed and needs to be more dynamic and flexible.

It’s almost like the pressure made him get away from his natural instincts and be more assertive with the guys, which is exactly what they need. I hope we can see more of this moving forward, but unfortunately history suggests that this is a one game blip on the radar.

He had a good game, but this is just evidence of the sorry state we're in. Our coach used common sense and that's praise worthy.

Win the finals and be part of the reason and I'll change by tune on him.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #860 on: May 24, 2023, 01:22:06 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Based on everything that is being reported, it appears that a big contributing factor to the "funk" that the team was in started when Udoka got the job in Houston, or at least this had an impact on the team.  This seemed to rekindle some feelings that many of the players had regarding how Udoka was let go and how they ended up with Mazzulla as their coach.  Then there was a series of questionable coaching calls, like not playing Grant, not starting RWill.  Then some undrafted scrubs from MIA played like hall of famers for 3 games while the Celtics kind of mailed it in.  The culmination of all this was game 3, one of the most disappointing performances by a Celtics team that I can remember.

My point of this recap is that much of this is not Mazzulla's fault.  He didn't fire Udoka.  He had no control over what the owners/mngt told the players about the decision.  He was handed a very difficult situation.  The team was not bought into him as their coach right from the start, or even the overall decision to let Udoka go, that is only now becoming more clear.  Mazzulla did not help his cause with his strange TO approach and some of the other unconventional things he did, that is for sure.

But here we are.  Under most any other circumstance, if a young rookie coach got his team to the ECF, that coach would probably be viewed as a rising star, even if you didn't agree with his TO calls.  But in this case, it is being viewed as a failure, an under-achievement, and for understandable reasons.  Again, tough situation for a young coach to be in.  I have my doubts about Mazzulla as the coach of this team moving forward.  I will think more about that after the Celtics play their last game (hopefully a win in the final game of the finals).  For today though, it is all about circling the wagons, forgetting about Udoka, and making some history.

« Reply #861 on: May 24, 2023, 01:29:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Based on everything that is being reported, it appears that a big contributing factor to the "funk" that the team was in started when Udoka got the job in Houston, or at least this had an impact on the team.  This seemed to rekindle some feelings that many of the players had regarding how Udoka was let go and how they ended up with Mazzulla as their coach.  Then there was a series of questionable coaching calls, like not playing Grant, not starting RWill.  Then some undrafted scrubs from MIA played like hall of famers for 3 games while the Celtics kind of mailed it in.  The culmination of all this was game 3, one of the most disappointing performances by a Celtics team that I can remember.

My point of this recap is that much of this is not Mazzulla's fault.  He didn't fire Udoka.  He had no control over what the owners/mngt told the players about the decision.  He was handed a very difficult situation.  The team was not bought into him as their coach right from the start, or even the overall decision to let Udoka go, that is only now becoming more clear.  Mazzulla did not help his cause with his strange TO approach and some of the other unconventional things he did, that is for sure.

But here we are.  Under most any other circumstance, if a young rookie coach got his team to the ECF, that coach would probably be viewed as a rising star, even if you didn't agree with his TO calls.  But in this case, it is being viewed as a failure, an under-achievement, and for understandable reasons.  Again, tough situation for a young coach to be in.  I have my doubts about Mazzulla as the coach of this team moving forward.  I will think more about that after the Celtics play their last game (hopefully a win in the final game of the finals).  For today though, it is all about circling the wagons, forgetting about Udoka, and making some history.

I don't believe that the team was triggered by Ime being hired in Houston.  I think that's a silly narrative.  I'm sure that some players were p---ed he was fired, and were p---ed by the lack of information, and were p---ed that the team hired a third stringer instead of an established coach.  But the story that everything was cool until Ime got a new job (rather than when Ime was fired) makes no sense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #862 on: May 24, 2023, 01:53:40 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

I don't believe that the team was triggered by Ime being hired in Houston.  I think that's a silly narrative.  I'm sure that some players were p---ed he was fired, and were p---ed by the lack of information, and were p---ed that the team hired a third stringer instead of an established coach.  But the story that everything was cool until Ime got a new job (rather than when Ime was fired) makes no sense.

The fact that Ime got another job within a year, seems to indicate that what he did may not have been that bad afterall.

« Reply #863 on: May 24, 2023, 01:56:00 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

Well, I don't know of course but it was not just the timing of Udoka getting the job in Houston, in my opinion, based on what I have seen and heard, is that this did contribute to the whole issue coming back to the surface.  It was always there, it was never resolved, that seems to be clear.  Losing two games at home to an inferior team, the new coach being wackier than ever, appearing to be getting out-coached, and then having it rubbed in your face that every other team in the league was perfectly happy to hire Udoka.  I think this all led to a flare up of lack of buy in to Mazzulla, some ill feelings towards owners/mngt, and the whole team-coach-organization relationship temporarily broke down.

There are issues on all fronts.  Mazzulla did get out-coached, he did make some head-scratching calls.  The Celtics Organization apparently did not communicate the rationale for the decision to fire Udoka to the players very well and the players have questions about it.  And the players let all of this get into their heads and it affected their play while some undrafted MIA journeymen played like Hall of Famers.  The result was 3 really painful losses.

I think the good news from the game 3 meltdown is that there was some clearing of the air (or so was reported).  The team went out in game 4, put all this noise aside, and pulled off a tough win.  I am optimistic that they will be able to continue to set aside the noise, spin it around and use it as motivation.

« Reply #864 on: May 24, 2023, 02:01:03 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Stan Van Gundy brought this up during one of the recent games. Joe received the job with only a week before the season started. According to Van Gundy, a coach needs at least 5-6 weeks to implement his scheme. Not only that, but Joe couldn't build his own staff. How do you think the other assistant coaches felt about getting passed over by Joe?

« Reply #865 on: May 24, 2023, 02:39:24 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
well, it is only one game, which is not enough to convince me mazzulla should definitely be the coach of the celtics going forrward. but yes, the team won that last game in very impressive fashion.

mazzulla is still really learning how to coach, but, can he make the needed adjustments NOW? i am not sure, but I'll give him credit for the last game coaching.

the last game was really well coached game by him.

his timeout usage in particular was spot on, even to the point where JPotter might agree.  ;D

going to Gwill was a good move, though as many here wrote, it was long overdue.

figuring out how to break miami's zone, and doing so quickly enough that spo just said "dang, let's go back to man to man coverage" was impressive.

so, i tip my hat to mazzulla for that game, but it's going to definitely take more than one good game for me to be on board.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #866 on: May 24, 2023, 02:47:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
well, it is only one game, which is not enough to convince me mazzulla should definitely be the coach of the celtics going forrward. but yes, the team won that last game in very impressive fashion.

mazzulla is still really learning how to coach, but, can he make the needed adjustments NOW? i am not sure, but I'll give him credit for the last game coaching.

the last game was really well coached game by him.

his timeout usage in particular was spot on, even to the point where JPotter might agree.  ;D

going to Gwill was a good move, though as many here wrote, it was long overdue.

figuring out how to break miami's zone, and doing so quickly enough that spo just said "dang, let's go back to man to man coverage" was impressive.

so, i tip my hat to mazzulla for that game, but it's going to definitely take more than one good game for me to be on board.

I’m glade he made a few good common calls , but he still needs to go. I guess if fire is the term, yes . He is just too green for this group , they kinda need an older guy IMO….because of the reluctance to lead themselves. Ime was nice fit. Need a guy who has been around the block….but not Doc.

I d inform him he was being released from his coaching duties or demoted by to assistant and get the team a REAL head coach .   The FO messed up handing the job over too quick. He seems  overwhelmed to me .  You can’t go brain dead while the team is on the court. You have to following five guys and game at the same time. Failure and mistakes can’t happen , it’s for keeps, lots of money , it’s business . Brad needs to undo the mess he made. And they really cause a CF of major magnitude.

« Reply #867 on: May 24, 2023, 04:17:32 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Do we, though?  If a coach does well once every five games, I think it's still okay to demand his reassignment.

The timeouts still don’t matter, even if we won the game. They’re like lucky socks at this point.

If Miami continues to shoot 25% from deep the series is ours even if the C’s never call a timeout again.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #868 on: May 25, 2023, 10:55:26 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Did Joe just saved his job after Game 5?

« Reply #869 on: May 25, 2023, 11:00:14 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Did Joe just saved his job after Game 5?

If we lose on Saturday, then it won't matter at all. It'll be marginally better than getting swept, but it'll still be the same result in the end.

By taking this one game at a time, they've now given themselves a chance. Of course if they do come out and win the series, then Joe is safe for a while.