Author Topic: The Curse of "Unfinished Business"  (Read 2172 times)

The Curse of "Unfinished Business"
« on: April 27, 2023, 10:56:41 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I don't know who at Celtics offices came up with "Unfinished Business" as a 2023 playoff campaign slogan. But the moment I read it (didn't they even have T shirts with that slogan??) I had a bad feeling.  There is something entitled in that slogan, as if to almost say, "when we get back into the NBA Finals this time, we plan to finish the job and win it all." 

Giannis after the Bucks devastating defeat to the Heat last night said something very profound, and quite germane to the Celtics' current mindset:

"They were playing to beat us and we were playing to win a championship....We Were a little bit ahead of ourselves, to be honest."

I am starting to feel the Celtics have a similar mind set in their series vs the Hawks. Certainly their fans do.

Let's focus on beating the Hawks tonight.

Re: The Curse of "Unfinished Business"
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 11:09:48 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
That is a great quote from Giannis. This has been the problem with this Celtics team. Too many times, they're focused on the next great team they play, instead of the team they just need to play today.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 12:05:22 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
That is a great quote from Giannis. This has been the problem with this Celtics team. Too many times, they're focused on the next great team they play, instead of the team they just need to play today.

Bum Phillips had a great quote about “Kicking the Door in” after leading the Houston Oilers to the AFC championship 2 years in a row but not making it to the Super Bowl.

He and the Oilers never made it to the Super Bowl and got bounced in the first round of the playoffs instead.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 12:07:25 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Not that it has anything to do with the slogan but wasn't there a book written about one of the early 1990's Celtic seasons with that same name?

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 12:26:45 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I don't know who at Celtics offices came up with "Unfinished Business" as a 2023 playoff campaign slogan. But the moment I read it (didn't they even have T shirts with that slogan??) I had a bad feeling.  There is something entitled in that slogan, as if to almost say, "when we get back into the NBA Finals this time, we plan to finish the job and win it all." 

Giannis after the Bucks devastating defeat to the Heat last night said something very profound, and quite germane to the Celtics' current mindset:

"They were playing to beat us and we were playing to win a championship....We Were a little bit ahead of ourselves, to be honest."

I am starting to feel the Celtics have a similar mind set in their series vs the Hawks. Certainly their fans do.

I have gained a ton of respect for the Hawks.  They have played their asses off each game.  If the Celtics don’t match that intensity, they Hawks have a shooters chance at beating the C’s.  It’s crazy that Celtics have enough talent to almost get away with lackluster effort some nights.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 01:10:38 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
....  There is something entitled in that slogan, as if to almost say, "when we get back into the NBA Finals this time, we plan to finish the job and win it all." 
This does not suggest a sense of entitlement to me. They know THEY still have to execute.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 04:45:50 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Yeah, but the worst Curse was Idiot Doc Rivers Hanging that Blank Banner in the training facility after we won in 2008.

Agreed on that Giannis quote, he's spot on.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 04:50:12 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
It's a slogan that the marketing and communications department came up with. Let's not overthink it.

I think it's a vast improvement over "C Us Rise" and "Rise Together." Man, those were cringey.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 05:00:48 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
It's a slogan that the marketing and communications department came up with. Let's not overthink it.

I think it's a vast improvement over "C Us Rise" and "Rise Together." Man, those were cringey.

Agreed. "We're one superstar" was a brutal one as well.

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2023, 08:44:35 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557

GREEN RUNS DEEP
C US RISE
ITS NOT LUCK

I liked all 3 and still do
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2023, 08:53:00 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Yeah, I hate it. Totally unnecessary. You’re one of the most historic franchises in sports, no need for a dorky campaign slogan.

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2023, 08:57:11 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557

fans can do as we please. we are not playing. we can look ahead all we want. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 09:07:44 AM by Boston Garden Leprechaun »
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2023, 09:38:40 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It depends on the makeup of a team.  Personally, I like it as motivation.  It's a reminder:  we didn't finish properly last year.  Let's do better.  We beat ourselves.

I'm not sure that Joe is the proper coach to deliver that message, and I'm not sure that the team has the killer instinct to pay more than lip service to the slogan.  But, it's something that a team should buy into.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2023, 08:44:19 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732

Yeah, but the worst Curse was Idiot Doc Rivers Hanging that Blank Banner in the training facility after we won in 2008.

I thought they hung that blank banner after the 2010 finals loss (screw job).
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2023, 08:47:34 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
It depends on the makeup of a team.  Personally, I like it as motivation.  It's a reminder:  we didn't finish properly last year.  Let's do better.  We beat ourselves.

I'm not sure that Joe is the proper coach to deliver that message, and I'm not sure that the team has the killer instinct to pay more than lip service to the slogan.  But, it's something that a team should buy into.

There are a lot of "shoulds" about this team that I fear will never materialize.

They are on the soft side of mental toughness and now have a coach who just aggravates that trait.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce