17 (54.8%)
Smart for Sengun, Tate, Eason
8 (25.8%)
Smart for Jalen Smith, Isaiah Jackson, TJ McConnell
3 (9.7%)
Smart for Nurkic and Watford
3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Best trade package for Smart  (Read 15260 times)

Re: Best trade package for Smart
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2023, 11:52:57 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Been looking at the Mavs, would try Marcus for Jaden Hardy, I think there is something there, was the number 4 player in his age group and scored pretty well last year, nearly 29.5 points per 100 poss at TS of 57% in limited minutes. Otherwise, I would take Josh Grreen off them, rest would be filler.

« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2023, 07:07:30 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Call Phoenix
Smart RWilliams for Ayton

Move on CPaul if u can get him

Call Portland offer the same for Lillaird
Find a PG thru free agency or the draft like they did with the big 3 in rondo

Robert Williams is the ultimate tease, in that he is a game changer, but unfortunately you never know if he can play from game to game. I'd rather keep him, and find a good backup.

Chris Paul is toast, and lately breaks down come playoff time, which is when we would need him most.

I'd love to get Lillard, but he will cost a ton. Minimum, Brown, additional salary player, and picks.

That is how I see him as well. I just don't trust him.

Sometimes spectacular, other times mediocre, often injured. You cannot depend on him.

« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2023, 07:13:55 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I liked the first two, voted for the second because I think having Ime in Houston makes it more realistic.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2023, 03:55:19 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Got another interesting 3-teamer. I believe that the Blazer should be able to complete this trade if they juggle their cap-holds/resignings and do it in the right order.

Suns get: Nurkic, Smart
Blazers get: Ayton
Celtics get: #3

Suns have been rumored to be interested in a PG replacement for Paul. Smart would be a great fit next to Durant and Booker here. They also need a reasonable replacement for Ayton. In this, they get two starters/contributors for Ayton.

The Blazers get an upgrade to help Dame continue to compete for a championship, without giving up Simons. They resign Reddish and Grant and suddenly have a solid playoff team.

The Celtics get the #3 pick and pick ... I haven't decided yet. I'm interested in Scoot and Whitmore. I haven't researched Black, Walker, or Hendricks to see if they could rise. I'm meh on Miller so far, but I do think he is a winning basketball player. He reminds me a bit of Ingram.

« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2023, 05:58:27 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
IDK, but I keep coming back to hoping for a more steadying influence being one way to maximize the talent of the Jays.

I’m really not sure that Derrick White isn’t the guy.   I’m trying to think of what DW can’t do that I’d want a PG to do with this team. And he’s got size, defensive skills,….  Is he the optimal passer - probably not, but he has great court awareness, is always moving to the right place, is unlikely to get Marcus cockiness or to get lazy and slow.

Can he be a leader?

« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2023, 06:57:43 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Conley. Straight up.

He provides better ballhandling and playmaking. He could be the veteran who would provide order and stability in most plays and crucial situations.

« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2023, 07:16:46 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642
Got another interesting 3-teamer. I believe that the Blazer should be able to complete this trade if they juggle their cap-holds/resignings and do it in the right order.

Suns have been rumored to be interested in a PG replacement for Paul. Smart would be a great fit next to Durant and Booker here. They also need a reasonable replacement for Ayton. In this, they get two starters/contributors for Ayton.

The Blazers get an upgrade to help Dame continue to compete for a championship, without giving up Simons. They resign Reddish and Grant and suddenly have a solid playoff team.

The Celtics get the #3 pick and pick ... I haven't decided yet. I'm interested in Scoot and Whitmore. I haven't researched Black, Walker, or Hendricks to see if they could rise. I'm meh on Miller so far, but I do think he is a winning basketball player. He reminds me a bit of Ingram.

No chance that Smart is all it takes to get the #3.  Even with picks attached.

I’d do it in an instant if it got us Scoot - I’m high on him - but I think this proposal vastly overestimates Smart’s value.

« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2023, 08:30:24 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

This current core is in win-now mode. I don't think that #3 pick will have immediate impact. We gave away Langford and Nesmith for that very reason.

« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2023, 01:19:58 PM »

• Paul Silas
Wolves get: Smart
Wolves trade: Conley, McDaniels
Wolves have been reported to be after Smart for years, as a stabilizing, defensive force next to their young core. McDaniels disappointed a bit this past year and may have lost his shine as an "untouchable" guy. Smart-Edwards-Anderson-KAT-Gobert is a solid core out West.

Celtics get: Beal
Celtics trade: Smart, Brogdon, Pritchard, 2 future 1sts
The Celtics make this move to try to win a championship. I realize the 2nd apron is going to be an issue moving forward, but they can still resign their own players and develop internally. This gives them another reliable scorer in the playoffs and lets Tatum play with his friend. If they win a championship, nothing else matters. Beal-Brown-Tatum-Horford-Williams is probably the best starting lineup in the NBA. They still have White, Gallo, GWilliams, Hauser, and Muscala off the bench.

Wizards get: Conley, Brogdon, McDaniels, Pritchard, 2 future 1sts
Wizards trade: Beal
I think this is a very fair trade given Beal's production and bloated contract. With a new GM, they are likely to look to rebuild. This gets them off long-term money while still giving them some solid veteran guards. They also get two solid prospects to develop with some first round picks. They move forward with Advija-McDaniels-Kispert-Pritchard youth movement. They may even try to trade Conley and Brogdon for additional picks/prospects.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 02:16:28 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2023, 01:38:50 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Smart to Houston for Sengun, Tate and KMartin Jr.

« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2023, 01:53:06 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858

This current core is in win-now mode. I don't think that #3 pick will have immediate impact. We gave away Langford and Nesmith for that very reason.

So we end up with the #3 Pick and a $18M trade exemption for Smart.  Unless you think you can flip the #3 and use the TPE to get a starter that is at least as good as Smart, I see no reason to do this trade.  Draft picks are just too risky.  Is Brandon Miller (for example) even going to help the team the first year?  I know a lot of people are proposing trades with POR that involve the #3 but it doesn't make sense to me.

« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2023, 02:13:32 PM »

• Paul Silas

So we end up with the #3 Pick and a $18M trade exemption for Smart.  Unless you think you can flip the #3 and use the TPE to get a starter that is at least as good as Smart, I see no reason to do this trade.  Draft picks are just too risky.  Is Brandon Miller (for example) even going to help the team the first year?  I know a lot of people are proposing trades with POR that involve the #3 but it doesn't make sense to me.

I understand your points and it is fair. Two thoughts:

1. I'm not sure losing Smart would be so bad because we have players that are fairly redundant with him in White and Brogdon.
2. I'm not sure losing Smart wouldn't be addition by subtraction, freeing the Js in late game situations to take control instead of deferring to him.

« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2023, 02:18:42 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642

If we could really nab the #3 for Smart alone, I don't care if Scoot or Miller would be a downgrade in the first year.  IMHO it's such a no-brainer from a value standpoint that we'd have to do it even if the window doesn't entirely make sense. 

I like Scoot a lot and I think he's worth waiting on.  Miller I'm not as high on, but he's a good prospect in his own right.  Meanwhile Smart's value is nebulous on his best day and he's already showing signs of aging.  I don't believe it's a real possibility, but if it is, I'm doing that deal ten times out of ten.  And if Scoot flops, so be it.  I shot my shot. 

« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2023, 02:30:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858

I understand your points and it is fair. Two thoughts:

1. I'm not sure losing Smart would be so bad because we have players that are fairly redundant with him in White and Brogdon.
2. I'm not sure losing Smart wouldn't be addition by subtraction, freeing the Js in late game situations to take control instead of deferring to him.

We obviously view Smart very differently.  I see no basis for the addition by subtraction potential, even considering that we have some depth at the combo guard position.  I see it as subtracting a valuable player, respected team leader, and replacing him with a 19 or 20 year old top draft pick.  You are subtracting a player who at times is a little sloppy but who has made big plays in big moments his entire career and adding a rookie who at best will make even more mistakes and will likely be near the end of the bench in those big moments.

I understand that I value Smart more than most but I don't see the point in trading any rotation player for a draft pick, even the #3, and especially not Smart.  It not only diminishes the team on the court but also sends entirely the wrong message.  Do you think Tatum (for example) would see this as addition by subtraction or just subtraction?

« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2023, 02:34:34 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
I wouldn’t trade Smart for 3rd pick..u know what u got In Smart but 3rd pick may be a bust plus u can get a better package somewhere else for Smart
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin