17 (54.8%)
Smart for Sengun, Tate, Eason
8 (25.8%)
Smart for Jalen Smith, Isaiah Jackson, TJ McConnell
3 (9.7%)
Smart for Nurkic and Watford
3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Best trade package for Smart  (Read 15583 times)

Re: Best trade package for Smart
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2023, 07:04:14 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would consider trading Smart for a high draft pick in the 6-10 range if a prospect I want is available at the time of the pick. There are two guys I like that I would trade Smart for.

Do you think he could garner that high of pick , I do not

I think Smart could get the C's a pick from 10-15 but the more ideal scenario would be a vet for vet trade.  Smart for a Collins type.

A Collins type but definitely not Collins whose year over year fg percentage, points and rebounds per has declined four straight years. He also shrinks in the playoffs and they play him less minutes per game when pressure is higher.

There is a reason every year Hawks try and dump him. Smart for Collins makes us worse.
I am convinced Atlanta does not utilize Collins right. They have phased him out of the offense because of Trae and Murray. Think he is a change of scenery candidate.
Completely agree. He would thrive alongside a stretch big like Horford. Someone who can pass and clear the paint for him. The anti-Capela
My bias against trading Smart is probably colouring my thinking here, but I don't think we should be trading for anyone based on whether or not they thrive alongside Horford.
Totally in agreement, it was more an example of the type of player I think Collins would be good alongside (which is why I wanted him a while ago). Trick is doing so without compromising the defence
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2023, 08:01:56 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
As frustrating as Smart is, I think C’s need to keep him. If anything, we need another firebrand like him. Tatum definitely needs to be more in control of the team though but the C’s need someone who’s willing to get dirty. Tatum has also gone on record to say that Smart is his favorite player to play with.

If our focus was on defense, I think he could get back to all-defense level. I would look to moving JB (Altho yeah, it’s unlikely). But Smart-White-Tatum-TL. Those are all-league defenders, both individually and as a unit.
- LilRip

« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2023, 08:21:26 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Smart could get the C's a pick from 10-15 but the more ideal scenario would be a vet for vet trade.  Smart for a Collins type. 

Way different than 6-10 which is unrealistic, I think

« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2023, 08:28:28 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414

Way different than 6-10 which is unrealistic, I think
Anyone in draft besides top 3 picks, who could be better than Smart? I don’t see it
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2023, 11:19:28 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
I would consider trading Smart for a high draft pick in the 6-10 range if a prospect I want is available at the time of the pick. There are two guys I like that I would trade Smart for.

Do you think he could garner that high of pick , I do not

Yes. He still has the defensive MVP pedigree. He's an ideal player for a young team looking to legitimize their playoff contention. The Rockets, Magic, and Pistons would all be possibilities. Also, these teams may be interested in adding solid veterans instead of another young player that needs development. Coaches like Ime and Monty might want a veteran presence with defensive grit as well.

I mean, the Raptors were reportedly looking for 3 firsts for OG, who had his first all-defensive team this year. Smart has three of those and a defensive MVP. OG is very reliant as on playing off of other players to get his shots too, like a lite version of Jerami Grant. Whereas Smart has some shot creation and can set his teammates up.

Celtics fans act like Marcus Smart is an 8th man. He's a frustrating player at times for sure, but if you removed all those frustrations, he'd be on the verge of being one of the best guards in the NBA.

Smart has value for sure.  The Celtics also have players on the roster who can replace Smart.   I believe White as starting pg would be better than Smart.  Brogdon also has diverse skills. And then there’s PP and Davison.  Smart for a high energy big makes sense to me.

I'm almost never in agreement with your posts but here I am. I'll give you a TP  ;D
Do you have players in mind?

Hah! I had no idea you almost never agree with me.  A bit hurt but glad for the TP  ;). One back to you.   

In terms of a big - I’m terrible at speculating who might be available and what it would take to get them. In response to others’ suggestions here, John Collins hasn’t impressed me all that much and he seems to disappear in big games. I think Draymond might be an interesting shakeup to the roster.  I’ve always liked Barnes.  I think Aaron Gordon has good energy and would be a good add.  Ive always thought Myles Turner would be good here. 
I still like Grant Williams and think he has some value - hope he stays.

« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2023, 07:06:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I mean, the Raptors were reportedly looking for 3 firsts for OG

Also, absurd.   They may want that but they did not find a buyer or taker of that deal.

Anyone in draft besides top 3 picks, who could be better than Smart? I don’t see it

The pick won't be as good  perhaps but they offer something no one has mentioned cost control.

Some of you see the world in blatant homer rose colored glasses.

“Boston shopped Smart last season, seeking multiple first-round picks, a team executive with knowledge of the discussions told SI,” Mannix wrote. “Smart?s value now? ‘Probably a first-round pick and a rotational player,’ a high-ranking Eastern Conference executive told SI. “‘Might be able to swap him for similar player that fits a positional need. (Danny Ainge valued him like an All-Star though — he is not.)'”

https://nesn.com/2021/08/marcus-smart-trade-nba-exec-projects-celtics-guards-value/

Marcus is an elite role player guys, his defense tailed off some last season.   He is also one of the best leaders on the team something Brown and Tatum lack.  I wish you all were right, but you're not.  I will ad that as a Celtic Fan I hope I am wrong, I want us to get better, but I do not live in Boston, I live in Ohio, and I hear more about how other fans view our guys than you, I would wager.

« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2023, 07:12:13 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Also, absurd.   They may want that but they did not find a buyer or taker of that deal.

The Raps were actually offered 3 firsts for Anunoby. They turned it down. Some reports said it was the Grizzlies and the Pacers, two teams, who offered 3 firsts for him.

Smart is not as valuable as Anunoby. Anunoby is another notch up on Smart. The sheer physical size of Anunoby (6-7 235lbs) and his ability to be efficient offensively when put in a smaller role (not asked to create his own shot).

I'd rate Anunoby as a top 10 SF or top 10 PF if you want to play him there. So say a top 20 forward. I'd have Smart somewhere in the 25-40 range among guards (PGs and SGs).

« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2023, 07:14:32 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

The pick won't be as good  perhaps but they offer something no one has mentioned cost control.

Some of you see the world in blatant homer rose colored glasses.

“Boston shopped Smart last season, seeking multiple first-round picks, a team executive with knowledge of the discussions told SI,” Mannix wrote. “Smart?s value now? ‘Probably a first-round pick and a rotational player,’ a high-ranking Eastern Conference executive told SI. “‘Might be able to swap him for similar player that fits a positional need. (Danny Ainge valued him like an All-Star though — he is not.)'”

https://nesn.com/2021/08/marcus-smart-trade-nba-exec-projects-celtics-guards-value/

Marcus is an elite role player guys, his defense tailed off some last season.   He is also one of the best leaders on the team something Brown and Tatum lack.  I wish you all were right, but you're not.  I will ad that as a Celtic Fan I hope I am wrong, I want us to get better, but I do not live in Boston, I live in Ohio, and I hear more about how other fans view our guys than you, I would wager.

He is only elite when he does the things he does good 99% of the time.  When he gets the hero feeling and thinks he can be a shooter , Celtics die a horrible death on court . 

« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2023, 08:23:11 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
He is a unique swiss army player, who can win or lose you games

« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2023, 12:16:51 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I am a Marcus Smart fan.  I like him, want him on the team.  See him helping the team in ways that don't show up in the box score.  He has flaws too, like every player.  I can see the need to consider trading one of Smart, White, or Brogdon, we don't need to commit that much to the combo guard position, but I am not making the leap to "Smart needs to go".

Smart was great last regular season and down a bit this regular season.  White was pretty bad statistically last regular season (although still contributed), but was very good this regular season.  Brogdon was 6th man of the year this regular season.  I feel that based on overall body of work, Smart is the most valuable of these 3.  Not by a wide margin, all of them are good players, all relatively equal.

I felt that Smart was the best in the playoffs of the 3.  I took a look at the stats excluding the MIA series, I excluded that as Brogdon was injured so it would kind of pollute and comparison:

Smart     15.8 pts / 46.5 FG% / 36.3 3P% / 82.5 FT% / 4.2 Rebs / 5.1 Assts / 2.2 TO
White      12.8 pts / 50.0 FG% / 42.9 3P% / 95.2 FT% / 3.2 Rebs / 2.0 Assts / 0.9 TO
Brogdon  14.8 pts / 44.6 FG% / 43.5 3P% / 84.9 FT% / 4.1 Rebs / 3.6 Assts / 1.1 TO

I can't list every stat but Smart got to the line the most, Brogdon took the most shots.  Smart played the most minutes, although all roughly the same.  (Note, in MIA series, White and Smart stayed pretty similar, Brogdon dropped off a cliff).

For defense, although White is a very good defender, Smart is the best defender and the most versatile defender.  He can defend a wider range of players.  I think this applies to these 13 playoff games and also in general.  Brogdon is an OK defender.  This is purely subjective, based on my own perception.

As to who should be traded, I would be fine to trade any of them, so long as we got back good value.  Trade Smart and I am comfortable starting White (plus another big).  Trade Brogdon, and I am comfortable with White as the 6th man.  Trade White, and I am fine with Smart as the starting PG and starting another big.

If I had to pick though, for example a team said we will give you XXX young starting level PF, and you can give us any of these 3, I would offer Brogdon first, White second, and Smart last.

« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2023, 09:03:38 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Call Phoenix
Smart RWilliams for Ayton

Move on CPaul if u can get him

Call Portland offer the same for Lillaird
Find a PG thru free agency or the draft like they did with the big 3 in rondo

« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2023, 10:17:21 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Call Phoenix
Smart RWilliams for Ayton

Move on CPaul if u can get him

Call Portland offer the same for Lillaird
Find a PG thru free agency or the draft like they did with the big 3 in rondo

Robert Williams is the ultimate tease, in that he is a game changer, but unfortunately you never know if he can play from game to game. I'd rather keep him, and find a good backup.

Chris Paul is toast, and lately breaks down come playoff time, which is when we would need him most.

I'd love to get Lillard, but he will cost a ton. Minimum, Brown, additional salary player, and picks.

« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2023, 10:25:15 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
He is a unique swiss army player, who can win or lose you games

*nip*

« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2023, 10:29:59 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Just for fun:

Boston: Trae Young

Atlanta: DeAndre Ayton, Malcolm Brogdon

Phoenix: Marcus Smart, Clint Capela

« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2023, 10:40:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Just for fun:

Boston: Trae Young

Atlanta: DeAndre Ayton, Malcolm Brogdon

Phoenix: Marcus Smart, Clint Capela
Would be interesting to see how Young would play around two other high level scorers. If he could morph into a Steve Nash type pass-first creator with some more efficiency (which would naturally come from stretching defensive attention) that would be very interesting.

He does suck at defence though
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)