17 (54.8%)
Smart for Sengun, Tate, Eason
8 (25.8%)
Smart for Jalen Smith, Isaiah Jackson, TJ McConnell
3 (9.7%)
Smart for Nurkic and Watford
3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Best trade package for Smart  (Read 15599 times)

Re: Best trade package for Smart
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2023, 06:15:13 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
yall wanna get rid of....

DEFENSIVE PLAYA OF THE YEAR!!!????

wow....

to me he was the flopper of the decade..

nobody will want are problem

*sippin*

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2023, 06:58:02 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Here's a weird one:

Celtics get: Green and Van Fleet
Warriors get: Smart, Williams, and Brogdon
Raptors get: Poole

Who holds the shortest internal discussions here?

Celtics have Horford-Green-Brown-Tatum-Van Fleet with White, Gallo, Pritchard, Hauser, and Grant Williams? off the bench. We get a great defender inside with toughness we desperately need who can set up Brown and Tatum with quick/easy shots. We also get a tough-nosed winning basketball player in Van Fleet that would instantly become our best ball-handler. 

Warriors reset without Green and Poole, getting shorter contracts and switch 2 rotations players out for 3.

Raptors replace Van Fleet with a scoring guard in Poole. This probably works best if there is already an understanding that Van Fleet would like to move on. If that doesn't happen, this deal probably requires more value to the Raptors.

Wonder how Green would feel playing in front of all us foaming at the mouth racists…  ::)
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2023, 07:03:51 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
We are not going to be trading Smart anytime soon.

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2023, 08:11:49 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Here's a weird one:

Celtics get: Green and Van Fleet
Warriors get: Smart, Williams, and Brogdon
Raptors get: Poole

Who holds the shortest internal discussions here?

Celtics have Horford-Green-Brown-Tatum-Van Fleet with White, Gallo, Pritchard, Hauser, and Grant Williams? off the bench. We get a great defender inside with toughness we desperately need who can set up Brown and Tatum with quick/easy shots. We also get a tough-nosed winning basketball player in Van Fleet that would instantly become our best ball-handler. 

Warriors reset without Green and Poole, getting shorter contracts and switch 2 rotations players out for 3.

Raptors replace Van Fleet with a scoring guard in Poole. This probably works best if there is already an understanding that Van Fleet would like to move on. If that doesn't happen, this deal probably requires more value to the Raptors.

That would be very cool for Boston.

I am not sure it is good for GSW or TOR. I was thinking in another thread where there was a Jaylen & Timelord for LaVine and Vucevic trade idea; I was thinking about Draymond for Horford and Brogdon.

So two things here: (1) Draymond as a defensive PF as ideal next to an offensive center in Vucevic (2) Horford as a skilled big to replace GSW to allow some continuity of their system despite losing Draymond. Plus Brogdon (or Smart) to boost their guard play and backcourt size.

Back to this trade above ...

I don't think Timelord has enough value for GSW because they already have Looney. They need a skilled big man who can play next to Looney which is why I feel Horford should be in the deal instead of Timelord. This allows GSW to move on from Draymond while also continue competing for titles. I don't think they can compete for a title with Timelord instead of Horford. They have no skilled big to play alongside either Looney or Timelord, Looney and Timelord cannot play together due to offensive limitations, and, GSW lacks a replacement PF to go smaller with just one solo big. So I don't see that working as a title run maneuver. 

For Toronto, they already have a scoring SG in Gary Trent Jr. He falls under the radar a bit but he has been averaging 17-18ppg the last two years in Toronto. I can see them bringing in a SG who is a big upgrade (like Jaylen Brown would be for them) but not for a SG like Poole who is similar in talent level to Gary Trent Jr.

I can see Toronto being interested in moving on from VanVleet and willing to make a deal but I reckon they need a different piece here than Poole. Not sure what that is. Maybe a more direct trade with BOS for one of our three combo guards in exchange for VanVleet. That would give them a direct replacement with a starting PG.

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2023, 10:18:21 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I actually would love if this team could somehow end up with Jarace Walker from University of Houston. It would likely take the 6th or 7th pick but I think the kid will be able to contribute early in his NBA Career for a contender and could develop into the type of bruising big wing that we currently lack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXF_CielixI&ab_channel=Highlights101

IMO I love the age range of the current team but it would be great to have an iron or 2 in the fire developing as well.

Interesting, I was just looking at this too. I wonder if the Magic would trade Isaac and the 6th pick for Smart, or even the 6th and 8th pick. Smart would help that young team a lot and be a pretty good fit next to their core. Fultz-Smart-Wagner-Banchero-Carter with Harris, Bol, and Okeke off the bench is probably a playoff team this year with continuing room to grow.

I wonder if we could grab Suggs in a deal like that too instead of a second 1st round pick. He's a good "second draft" player. In this deal, we would grab multiple upside options with a one (or two) high picks and Isaac. We also shake up the roster with a move that is much needed.

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2023, 04:41:41 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Celtics: Murphy III, Dunn, 28th pick (via Jazz, via 76ers), 2024 Bucks 1st (via Pelicans)

Pelicans: Smart

Jazz: Prichard, Hauser

———————————

Boston Celtics

White
Brown
Murphy III
Tatum
Horford

Brogdon, Williams III, Williams, Dunn, Gallinari, Jackson-Davis (28th pick), Kornet

———

New Orleans Pelicans

Smart
Ingram
Jones
Williamson
Valanciunas

McCollum, Nance Jr, Alvarado, Daniels
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2023, 05:25:56 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
A snow cone

Unflavored

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2023, 05:29:47 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Celtics: Murphy III, Dunn, 28th pick (via Jazz, via 76ers), 2024 Bucks 1st (via Pelicans)

———————————

Boston Celtics

White
Brown
Murphy III
Tatum
Horford

Brogdon, Williams III, Williams, Dunn, Gallinari, Jackson-Davis (28th pick), Kornet

———

New Orleans Pelicans

Smart
Ingram
Jones
Williamson
Valanciunas

Yeah, I would trade Smart for Trey Murphy.

6-9, athletic, lights out shooter who can finish at the rim. Good defender. Younger. A great wing to have alongside Tatum & Jaylen either as a backup or in terms of small ball while maintaing great size & length on the perimeter.

I wouldn't do it if I were NOP but it is a close call. Smart is impressive in his own right. I do feel like they are pretty happy with their guard play with McCollum & Alvarez though. Herb Jones already gives them a stellar defensive player in that starting lineup to balance out their scorers. Not sure Smart is that tempting for them.

Cool idea. Nice one. Different.

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2023, 06:21:09 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell

———————————

Boston Celtics

White
Brown
Murphy III
Tatum
Horford

———

New Orleans Pelicans

Smart
Ingram
Jones
Williamson
Valanciunas

Yeah, I would trade Smart for Trey Murphy.

6-9, athletic, lights out shooter who can finish at the rim. Good defender. Younger. A great wing to have alongside Tatum & Jaylen either as a backup or in terms of small ball while maintaing great size & length on the perimeter.

I wouldn't do it if I were NOP but it is a close call. Smart is impressive in his own right. I do feel like they are pretty happy with their guard play with McCollum & Alvarez though. Herb Jones already gives them a stellar defensive player in that starting lineup to balance out their scorers. Not sure Smart is that tempting for them.

Cool idea. Nice one. Different.

Thanks!

I think NOLA would really have to look hard at this proposal, as they need to win now. Ingram is off-contract in two seasons and although Murphy III is talented, current he’s really only a spot up shooter.

Smart is locked in at an affordable price for 3 seasons, where as the Pelicans might not be able to pay Murphy III because they are unwilling to enter the luxury tax.

Smart is a (obviously) a better defender & playmaker than McCollum, plus he would add some much needed leadership.

They could also close their games with

Smart
McCollum
Ingram
Jones
Williamson
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 10:39:01 PM by Ed Monix »

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2023, 06:55:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

———————————

Boston Celtics

White
Brown
Murphy III
Tatum
Horford

———

New Orleans Pelicans

Smart
Ingram
Jones
Williamson
Valanciunas

Would be super in on this. Murphy is a great wing prospect. Whilst Herb has always been my guy, Murphy would be an excellent wing here. Low usage, super efficient. Could be a Mikal Bridges type
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2023, 09:05:52 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I am loving that Trey Murphy III for Smart trade idea more and more as the idea rolls around in my head.

Trading for a low mistake high efficiency wing (Trey) for a high mistake low efficiency guard (Smart) would do wonders for our offense.

How fantastic would it be to have a legit sharp-shooter. To have a guy who doesn't make stupid turnovers. This team needs more quality decision makers and precision offensive players. Trey Murphy is that.

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2023, 09:20:57 PM »

Online keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I'm not sure how this Trey Murphy for Smart deal is supposed to work salary wise. One guy makes 3.2 million, the other 17.2 million. Also from what i understand NOP is going to be pretty close to the luxury tax this year, I don't think they'd want to give up one of their cost-controlled guys for a 17 million dollar guy.

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2023, 10:27:02 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
I'm not sure how this Trey Murphy for Smart deal is supposed to work salary wise. One guy makes 3.2 million, the other 17.2 million. Also from what i understand NOP is going to be pretty close to the luxury tax this year, I don't think they'd want to give up one of their cost-controlled guys for a 17 million dollar guy.

The Pelicans have several expiring contracts & team options.

Expiring: Hayes, Richardson

TO: Lewis Jr, Hernangomez, Marshall, Temple

Totalling (roughly) 22 million off their books.

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2023, 11:43:57 PM »

Online keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Yes but Zion's contract increases from 13 million this past year to 33 million. They don't have cap space to juist take on Smart's contract, they can't just swap 3 million for 17 million. They need to send out a lot more salary to make this trade legal. JV would probably need to be part of the deal.

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2023, 11:52:20 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Yes but Zion's contract increases from 13 million this past year to 33 million. They don't have cap space to juist take on Smart's contract, they can't just swap 3 million for 17 million. They need to send out a lot more salary to make this trade legal. JV would probably need to be part of the deal.

Sign and trade Josh Richardson. Another $12-15mil for him. One year deal. He is probably only looking at a one year minimum salary so its a good deal for him. That contract + Trey Murphy should get you in Smart's ball park.

Or maybe Larry Nance. Two years left on his deal. $10mil + Trey's $3mil. Might need another filler. Willy Hernangomez. Heck, he'd actually be a useful 3rd string center for us. Nance a good backup PF. Might need to give up a pick at that point. Guy is good but gets injured a lot; depends how high they are on him. Another option.

So two ways they could make it work financially.