17 (54.8%)
Smart for Sengun, Tate, Eason
8 (25.8%)
Smart for Jalen Smith, Isaiah Jackson, TJ McConnell
3 (9.7%)
Smart for Nurkic and Watford
3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Best trade package for Smart  (Read 15512 times)

Re: Best trade package for Smart
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2023, 12:35:16 PM »

Online celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572
Serious question. How much value do people think Smart has?
I assume other GM’s watch him play. I  assume They see the same things I do. A player who makes way too many poor decisions, can’t shoot, but continues to shoot any time he can. A player that by his own admission, hasn’t played well this year. A defensive player who can’t shout anyone down and continues to foul players shooting 3’s. A player who gets T’s at the worst possible times, or commits dumb fouls

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2023, 01:54:26 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I assume other GM’s watch him play. I  assume They see the same things I do. A player who makes way too many poor decisions, can’t shoot, but continues to shoot any time he can. A player that by his own admission, hasn’t played well this year. A defensive player who can’t shout anyone down and continues to foul players shooting 3’s. A player who gets T’s at the worst possible times, or commits dumb fouls
in all likelihood, other GMs see a guard that's one year removed from DPOY and is still in his prime.  he does not have chronic injury issues, can run an offense and will do the dirty work to get a win.  they see a guard that while not a knock down outside shooter can have an occasional hot night, is very good at finishing at the rim and is very good at driving and hitting shots in the lane.  They see a guard that can defend up to the 5 spot when needed and not get bulldozed by bigger players.

that's not worth chickenfeed in a trade.  bottom line, he's a starting-caliber guard and would be worth a starting caliber player in return or a really good prospect and a couple of picks.  Think a bigger haul than SA got for White and Indy got for Brogdon.

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2023, 02:32:45 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
in all likelihood, other GMs see a guard that's one year removed from DPOY and is still in his prime.  he does not have chronic injury issues, can run an offense and will do the dirty work to get a win.  they see a guard that while not a knock down outside shooter can have an occasional hot night, is very good at finishing at the rim and is very good at driving and hitting shots in the lane.  They see a guard that can defend up to the 5 spot when needed and not get bulldozed by bigger players.

that's not worth chickenfeed in a trade.  bottom line, he's a starting-caliber guard and would be worth a starting caliber player in return or a really good prospect and a couple of picks.  Think a bigger haul than SA got for White and Indy got for Brogdon.

ATL gave up Gallinari, 3 picks, and a pick swap for Murray.  I don't think the Celtics want a bunch of picks for Smart but I think the value for Smart should be something close to Murray's trade value, say a Gallinari level player and 2 picks?  Gallinari had about 12 pts, 5 rebs 38% from 3 his last season with ATL.

I think GMs appreciate the little things, the non-box score things, more than the rank and file fans do.  The problem in trading Smart is interested teams are probably not going to want to send back rotation players as they are trying to win, not rebuild, same as the Celtics.  Trades work better when one team is trying to win and the other trying to rebuild (like ATL and SAN or BOS and IND).

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2023, 03:10:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

ATL gave up Gallinari, 3 picks, and a pick swap for Murray.  I don't think the Celtics want a bunch of picks for Smart but I think the value for Smart should be something close to Murray's trade value, say a Gallinari level player and 2 picks?  Gallinari had about 12 pts, 5 rebs 38% from 3 his last season with ATL.

I think GMs appreciate the little things, the non-box score things, more than the rank and file fans do.  The problem in trading Smart is interested teams are probably not going to want to send back rotation players as they are trying to win, not rebuild, same as the Celtics.  Trades work better when one team is trying to win and the other trying to rebuild (like ATL and SAN or BOS and IND).
I don't disagree on the type of trading partner C's could work with.  it's rare that 2 teams trying to contend would be able to swap a player in a position of strength to get a player to help in a position of weakness.  It'll take Brad some effort to find a trading partner with a good extra big that needs a good guard that'll be willing to swap. 

not sure if Smart will get the same package as Murray but shouldn't be much less.

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2023, 08:28:46 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Revisiting this one too.  Smart was very big in the 4th quarter.  Joe played him over Brogdon and White.  And he made big plays.  They were leaving him open to double Tatum (and sometimes Brown).  The first couple of possessions in the stretch, Smart missed a couple of 3s.  Then he adjusted and started cutting to the basket.  This lead to a couple of beautiful passes to Horford for corner 3s.  Then Smart hit a couple of 3s.  Then my favorite, back to the cutting to the basket but then he faked the pass to Horford and the rotating defender bit on it and Smart got an easy lay up that essentially iced the game.

Smart did have one bad pass that resulted in a turnover in that stretch also.  I continue to be a big Marcus Smart fan.  Brogdon and White are really good too.  But putting Smart in to close the game was the right call last night.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 09:30:32 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2023, 08:36:10 AM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
Revisiting this one too.  Smart was very big in the 4th quarter.  Joe played him over Brogdon and White.  And he made big plays.  They were leaving him open to double Tatum (and sometimes Brown).  The first couple of possessions in the stretch, Smart missed a couple of 3s.  Then he adjusted and started cutting to the basket.  This lead to a couple of beautiful passes to Horford for corner 3s.  Then Smart hit a couple of 3s.  Then my favorite, back to the cutting to the basket but then he faked the pass to Horford and the rotating defender bit on it and Smart got an easy lay up that essentially iced the game.

Smart did have one bad pass that resulted in a turnover in that stretch also.  I continue to be a big Marcus Smart fan.  Brogdon and White are really good too.  But putting Smart in the close the game was the right call last night.

Smart was huge.

Credit to Mazulla too. Pulled Smart after the missed 3s and I don't think its a coincidence that when he put Smart back in he was cutting to the center of the floor on those Tatum doubles. Mazulla made an adjustment and set Smart up for success.

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2023, 09:00:13 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Almost every one wanted Smart gone after game 5, now they love him lol..how great is sports!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2023, 03:45:33 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Trade him for a 3pt shooter, if you are going to shoot this many threes can not have Marcus, Jaylen and Jason as your main 3. Kennard, Burks etc

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2023, 04:02:24 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
We've all talked about how the team has had issues despite changing coaches.
I'm not pointing fingers at Smart, but to get good talent back and change the culture, you're going to have to give up some players. He's one that needs to go. While I like aspects of his game, I'm done with momentum killing TO's.

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2023, 04:18:31 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Do think one of Smart, White, or Brogdon is on the way out this summer. Clearly, those three were a bit redundant at times all being bigger combo guards. A speedier, more traditional point guard that you could trust to have the ball down the stretch would do wonders for this team.

I’d love a Mike Conley type of point guard for this team.

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2023, 04:42:25 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
Do think one of Smart, White, or Brogdon is on the way out this summer. Clearly, those three were a bit redundant at times all being bigger combo guards. A speedier, more traditional point guard that you could trust to have the ball down the stretch would do wonders for this team.

You just know if one will go they'll make it white. I can totally see them being so dumb.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2023, 05:00:17 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

If we want to go back to the double big lineup, there simply isn't enough playing time for the three combo guards. They gotta swap one of those guys out for a legit backup wing or a backup big man.

If they want to keep the smaller two guards two forwards one big lineup, they could maintain it. The defensive versatility they offer is important to our switching defense.

It'll be interesting to see what their priority is heading into the offseason. Whether it is the double big or not. I suspect it will not be the double big. We will play small again next year.

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2023, 05:06:58 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Yeah, a speedier PG who can beat people off the dribble and get into the middle of the floor & collapse the opposing defense would be very valuable for this offense when it gets into these lulls.

Dribble penetration is vital and we do not have enough of it. Part of that is on the three combo guards. Your guards are typically your best ball-handlers and drivers unless you have a LeBron type forward and we do not. We play a lot of two guard configurations and they do not provide the offensive variety that you would look for. They provide the defensive versatility but not the offensive versatility.

D White for all the praise he has received was very frustrating for me for how he failed to provide hardly any dribble penetration & playmaking in the playoffs. Especially the last 2 rounds. He was only averaging 1.5apg. This despite him being a PG by trade. He should be providing above average secondary ball-handling, dribble drive threat, passing & playmaking. He wasn't doing it. And he has received hardly any criticism for it which I do not understand. You take that weapon away from his offensive arsenal and he is a much less impactful offensive threat.

It is that dual ball-handler / playmaker that makes our two guard alignment work well despite not having a true playmaker. When one of the two guards stops providing that, it puts way too much pressure on the other guy and the Jays. D White has to do better than this. This was simply not good enough.

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2023, 05:10:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Fred VanVleet could be an interesting target in a sign and trade.

Not a prototypical playmaking PG (but a solid playmaker nonetheless) or driver but he is small, quick and aggressive. He would provide a change-of-pace threat relative to our other guards. Despite being small, he is a stocky well built type who defends very well and switches onto bigger bodies well so he fits into our defense well despite his short stature. He does a good job of pushing the ball, pushing the pace. He provides a PnR threat.

Maybe Brogdon as trade bait in a sign and trade. A different type of backup PG. Something more different to Smart & D White.

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2023, 05:49:09 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Here's a weird one:

Celtics get: Green and Van Fleet
Warriors get: Smart, Williams, and Brogdon
Raptors get: Poole

Who holds the shortest internal discussions here?

Celtics have Horford-Green-Brown-Tatum-Van Fleet with White, Gallo, Pritchard, Hauser, and Grant Williams? off the bench. We get a great defender inside with toughness we desperately need who can set up Brown and Tatum with quick/easy shots. We also get a tough-nosed winning basketball player in Van Fleet that would instantly become our best ball-handler. 

Warriors reset without Green and Poole, getting shorter contracts and switch 2 rotations players out for 3.

Raptors replace Van Fleet with a scoring guard in Poole. This probably works best if there is already an understanding that Van Fleet would like to move on. If that doesn't happen, this deal probably requires more value to the Raptors.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 06:00:34 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »