Author Topic: Tired of tatum not showing up  (Read 9358 times)

Re: Tired of tatum not showing up
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2023, 03:54:33 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
It should also be pointed out that Paul Pierce, at 33, had achieved considerably more than Jimmy Butler had at this comparative point in their relative NBA careers
Jimmy led his team to the NBA Finals.

Once. And lost a fairly noncompetitive series. He's more or less on the same career path as Dwight Howard - which is fine - but this thread is full of people pretending that Butler's quiet games (like, for example, games 3-5 against us in last year's ECF) don't exist.

I noted this before the playoffs too.  Jimmy's bad games always seem to roll off of him for whatever reason, in a way that doesn't happen for other stars. 

Bucks fans are shredding Giannis right now, and they want to run Middleton and Holiday out of town.  Boston fans are losing their minds over a mediocre series from Tatum.  AD gets blasted for his no-shows, Booker last year, and so on.  Yet when Butler has a bad game - and he has plenty of them - nobody seems to mind.  I'm not sure why that is.
Yeah I remember that we had this conversation - I maintain it's largely because he 'looks like' he's playing hard. Butler's game has major lunch pail aesthetic, and that appeals to the people who enjoy a certain type of visible effort, win or lose.

And I think that's it with this thread as well. The same way that Bucks fans hating Giannis for dropping 38 is weird - yes, he missed 13 free throws, but if he hits those he winds up with a 51 point game... and if the Celtics hit their free throws last game as a team this series would be over - Butler's perennial ability to avoid any responsibility for his team's lack of success is just as peculiar:

With success as the only metric, all things being equal and no fandom to consider, I would rather root for Jayson Tatum's basketball teams than teams featuring Jimmy Butler. Tatum's teams are more successful. They win more games. They usually go further in the playoffs. He's part of a younger core with a brighter future.

TP.

I've said it before, but a lot of posters seem to equate "fire" with acting like the Hulk and it's weird. Not every player is going to showboat and rage out like KG, seems guys are more even-keeled. Doesn't mean he cares any less or is any less passionate. We've seen him have big games in crucial moments, but people act like moments like game 6 in Milwaukee in the 2nd round last year didn't happen. He's been playing with a messed up wrist for basically 2 seasons, but refuses to be load-managed like other stars. He probably should've missed a few games in last year's playoffs when he hurt his shoulder, but played through. That says a lot more to me about a player than if he can rage-scream spittle at a stanchion.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 04:00:46 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2023, 03:55:11 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
It should also be pointed out that Paul Pierce, at 33, had achieved considerably more than Jimmy Butler had at this comparative point in their relative NBA careers

Once. And lost a fairly noncompetitive series. He's more or less on the same career path as Dwight Howard - which is fine - but this thread is full of people pretending that Butler's quiet games (like, for example, games 3-5 against us in last year's ECF) don't exist.

I noted this before the playoffs too.  Jimmy's bad games always seem to roll off of him for whatever reason, in a way that doesn't happen for other stars. 

Bucks fans are shredding Giannis right now, and they want to run Middleton and Holiday out of town.  Boston fans are losing their minds over a mediocre series from Tatum.  AD gets blasted for his no-shows, Booker last year, and so on.  Yet when Butler has a bad game - and he has plenty of them - nobody seems to mind.  I'm not sure why that is.

I think the difference is a butler bad game is him missing shots. A Tatum bad game is him forcing 3's and refusing to drive.

If Tatum tried and failed simply because he missed on drives and some jumpers, he wouldn't get so much smoke. The fact that he's iso, then step back 3 when he's refusing to play to his strengths are why his bad games get more attention.
That is basically Tatum's game every game.  When he hits the shots you just don't care.  Sure every once in a while Tatum has a high FT game, but games 1 and 2 in this series, Tatum took exactly 2 FT's.  He 25 point double doubles and Boston won both games by 13.  Last night he has 2 FT's and the C's lose and it is now a problem.  Of course Brown was the Celtic that was 0-3 from the line in the 4th quarter and it wasn't Tatum that was getting torched by Trae Young.

A lot of that stuff you listed is missing the greater CONTEXT.  Brown was also the Celtic that had 35 points on 65% shooting, 7 rebound and 5 assists during this close out game.  If Brown doesn't show up like that we get clobbered by Atlanta's hot shooting.  We are down by 10+ if JB doesn't have the game he did.  At the same time Tatum is shooting 1-10 from 3 and shooting 38% from the field taking a lot of iffy 3s without any ball movement. 

So are JB's 3 missed fts in the 4th are more important than his overall game?  If Tatum is more patient on one of those 9 missed 3s and gets to the rim that would have made a difference too?  Brown wasn't the only one who got scored on by a crazy long 3 by TY that night.  We were only up by 1 so JB had to at least try to not get blown by for a much easier runner that TY is pretty deadly at as well.

All three of JT, JB and MS made miscues that contributed to the loss.  But to ignore the otherwise stellar game Brown put up is like having blinders on.

« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2023, 05:00:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yeah I remember that we had this conversation - I maintain it's largely because he 'looks like' he's playing hard. Butler's game has major lunch pail aesthetic, and that appeals to the people who enjoy a certain type of visible effort, win or lose.

And I think that's it with this thread as well. The same way that Bucks fans hating Giannis for dropping 38 is weird - yes, he missed 13 free throws, but if he hits those he winds up with a 51 point game... and if the Celtics hit their free throws last game as a team this series would be over - Butler's perennial ability to avoid any responsibility for his team's lack of success is just as peculiar:

With success as the only metric, all things being equal and no fandom to consider, I would rather root for Jayson Tatum's basketball teams than teams featuring Jimmy Butler. Tatum's teams are more successful. They win more games. They usually go further in the playoffs. He's part of a younger core with a brighter future.
Ding ding! Obviously, Butler was enormous in this recent series against Milwaukee (who ought to be ashamed of themselves). But his occasional playoff no-shows (more occasional than many other stars) go completely ignored
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2023, 09:09:07 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
What do you think the chance that Tatum turns out to be the next Melo, great player at peak, but under achieving eventually.

« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2023, 09:35:42 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
What do you think the chance that Tatum turns out to be the next Melo, great player at peak, but under achieving eventually.

Again, this is a lazy comparison. He's already better than Melo was - the defensive effort and playoff success already ends that argument.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2023, 11:50:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Melo was never as good as Tatum is now.

He also showed up majorly in this game

« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2023, 11:56:20 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

And for all the handringing, he still averaged 27.2 ppg/10.0 rpg/5.3 apg on 45/35/90 shooting in this round. And played great defense.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2023, 05:00:46 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

And for all the handringing, he still averaged 27.2 ppg/10.0 rpg/5.3 apg on 45/35/90 shooting in this round. And played great defense.

You know what though, the more I think about it (aside from Carmelo potentially becoming... underrated?), the more I think Who's comparison to Vince Carter - both in terms of offensive game and in terms of fan treatment - is spot on. Tatum doesn't quite have the same levels of Half-Man Half-Amazing that Vince does (I don't think we'll see him leapfrogging a 7 footer any time soon) but the game is close.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2023, 05:38:30 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
My god the overreactions in some of these posts are over the top. Now we are talking about trading Tatum?

Criticism is one thing but let's not get over the top here.

Time for the trade ideas to be put away...at least till the next loss  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2023, 05:44:14 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

TP.

I've said it before, but a lot of posters seem to equate "fire" with acting like the Hulk and it's weird. Not every player is going to showboat and rage out like KG, seems guys are more even-keeled. Doesn't mean he cares any less or is any less passionate. We've seen him have big games in crucial moments, but people act like moments like game 6 in Milwaukee in the 2nd round last year didn't happen. He's been playing with a messed up wrist for basically 2 seasons, but refuses to be load-managed like other stars. He probably should've missed a few games in last year's playoffs when he hurt his shoulder, but played through. That says a lot more to me about a player than if he can rage-scream spittle at a stanchion.

I think it's because fans want to know that players care, so they tend to gravitate more to emotional players, players like KG for example. Everyone knew KG cared. Someone who is more reserved, more like a silent assassin, tend to get more criticism because they don't seem to care as much. The fans care, these players should care too [dang it]!  :police:

For the record, I worry less about their demeanor and more about their actual performance and body language. Tatum's body language wasn't great in Game 5, he struggled to get into the game with all the trapping Atlanta did and he settled for some perimeter jumpshots instead of trying to attack the rim which JB was doing or trying to get teammates more involved. But he still had 19-8-8, albeit a not very impressive (by his standards) triple double. Because we've gotten so used to great games from Tatum these mediocre games stand out. He's just held to a higher standard.

I think his body language was great tonight, he was pumped after that putback dunk. He doesn't always show emotion on the court, probably more of a natural introvert, but he did then.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2023, 07:11:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

You know what though, the more I think about it (aside from Carmelo potentially becoming... underrated?), the more I think Who's comparison to Vince Carter - both in terms of offensive game and in terms of fan treatment - is spot on. Tatum doesn't quite have the same levels of Half-Man Half-Amazing that Vince does (I don't think we'll see him leapfrogging a 7 footer any time soon) but the game is close.
It's an interesting comparison. Carter in his early Raptors days, prior to injuries in 2002 and 2003 (I think, can't recall), was a monster. His efficiency to scoring volume never recovered after that, and neither did his defence (he was averaging over 1 block per game!). This highlights clip is a good one of his non-dunking offence, which was still awesome.

I always feel like Tatum's offensive game reminds me of Tracy McGrady, more so than VC. It might be a purely aesthetic thing, but I feel like Vince Carter was often working very hard to get his offence. With T-Mac and Tatum, it seems smooth and easy. Their pull-up jumpers are so similar to me. They also both generate free throws at a more similar rate.

Either way, I don't think Tatum fails to show up often. By my count, he has 2 poor series' in his 14 career playoff series.

« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2023, 07:35:06 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be

It's an interesting comparison. Carter in his early Raptors days, prior to injuries in 2002 and 2003 (I think, can't recall), was a monster. His efficiency to scoring volume never recovered after that, and neither did his defence (he was averaging over 1 block per game!). This highlights clip is a good one of his non-dunking offence, which was still awesome.

I always feel like Tatum's offensive game reminds me of Tracy McGrady, more so than VC. It might be a purely aesthetic thing, but I feel like Vince Carter was often working very hard to get his offence. With T-Mac and Tatum, it seems smooth and easy. Their pull-up jumpers are so similar to me. They also both generate free throws at a more similar rate.

Either way, I don't think Tatum fails to show up often. By my count, he has 2 poor series' in his 14 career playoff series.

Last year’s Finals and, what, ‘19 MIL?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2023, 08:39:11 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Tatum played more like a power forward in this series --- Rebounding, blocks. He also deferred to others (like JB) as needed.

« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2023, 06:16:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Last year’s Finals and, what, ‘19 MIL?
Them's the two. '19 Bucks is tricky given the Kyrie sabotage effort, but still poor from Tatum (only Horford & Morris played well)

« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2023, 07:34:09 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732

They both had Finals appearances before turning 31.  The difference being Pierce winning a championship.  Pierce also had his team in the Finals again by 33.

Correction: Garnett won a championship and had his team in the Finals again two years later.
Pierce was very important, but Jimmy Butler never had anyone even close to what Garnett brought to Boston.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce