Author Topic: Hawks (1-3) at Celtics (3-1) Round 1 Game #5 4/25/23  (Read 21909 times)

Re: Hawks (1-3) at Celtics (3-1) Round 1 Game #5 4/25/23
« Reply #780 on: April 26, 2023, 02:13:34 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 249
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
Was I the only person surprised that Jaylen gave Trae Young so much room for the game winner? I feel like Trae took that exact same shot like 3 or 4 times in the 4th quarter. He's obviously comfortable taking that shot, so why give it to him. I know Young is quick, but force him to put the ball on the floor and possibly pass it.
It wasn’t horrible defense per se and the guy is taking a 30 ft shot with a hand in his face. I think you take those odds most of the time.
He probably only hits that shot 2 or 3 times out of 10. Tip your hat for being clutch.

what about having luke out there for the  Kornet contest  :D :D guys this team is stressing me out I have to laugh some how.

« Reply #781 on: April 26, 2023, 03:21:34 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Was I the only person surprised that Jaylen gave Trae Young so much room for the game winner? I feel like Trae took that exact same shot like 3 or 4 times in the 4th quarter. He's obviously comfortable taking that shot, so why give it to him. I know Young is quick, but force him to put the ball on the floor and possibly pass it.

It was a one-point game — Young faked a drive that Jaylen bit on and then nailed a 30-foot step back.  Jaylen could have played him tighter, but then he’d run the risk of Trae beating him heading towards the rim with a chance for an even easier shot.  I’d rather lose on a really long jumper than something at the rim.

If it were a 2-point game, yeah, you don’t let yourself get beat on a 3, but when any basket decides it, make them take the step-back jumper.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I feel the real mistake was not sending a double to force the ball out of Trae’s hands, and not Jaylen’s one-on-one defense.

« Reply #782 on: April 26, 2023, 03:29:15 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672

It was a one-point game — Young faked a drive that Jaylen bit on and then nailed a 30-foot step back.  Jaylen could have played him tighter, but then he’d run the risk of Trae beating him heading towards the rim with a chance for an even easier shot.  I’d rather lose on a really long jumper than something at the rim.

If it were a 2-point game, yeah, you don’t let yourself get beat on a 3, but when any basket decides it, make them take the step-back jumper.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I feel the real mistake was not sending a double to force the ball out of Trae’s hands, and not Jaylen’s one-on-one defense.

Smart was coming up to double.  Young just gunned it before he even got there.

Marcus probably should have come up earlier and more aggressively, but honestly it was a good shot more than anything. 

« Reply #783 on: April 26, 2023, 03:58:39 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Smart was coming up to double.  Young just gunned it before he even got there.

Marcus probably should have come up earlier and more aggressively, but honestly it was a good shot more than anything.

Yeah, what I meant was that the double needed to be pretty much immediate.  Smart was coming all the way from the corner to double — the ball was obviously going to Trae, so the double needed to come from someone closer to mid court, and not from 50 feet away.

« Reply #784 on: April 26, 2023, 04:25:34 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
That final play sort of looks like a lot of the end-of-game plays we run. Tatum/Young runs to the backcourt, the ball gets inbounded to them where they are obviously open, they take up the ball and then either take a deep 3 off a screen (or make a slight move to get separation) OR maybe make a quick pass and then get it right back to take a quick shot.

ATL did the same. Young collected it, then ran up with the ball. Then he sort of made a move to at least have an open look from the logo, and credit to him, he made it. Almost Lillard-esque.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller