Author Topic: Pivotal PBS Playoffs  (Read 2681 times)

Re: Pivotal PBS Playoffs
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2023, 01:41:55 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
As much as I like Danny (and truly appreciate what he did for the Celtics), I'm not sure if we're in the same/similar position without Stevens. Danny would have never given up draft picks for Horford, Brongdon, or White. It's players like that, that are the difference between just being in the playoffs and actually being a title contender.

As for Crowder, what makes you think he wanted to come back to Boston. He sat out to not play for Phoenix. I think he still holds resentment against the fans for how he was treated in relation to Hayward.

I doubt Danny does the White trade, because I think he would have thought he was overpaying.

I do think that Danny would have pulled the trigger on a Brogdon trade, and would have brought Horford back.  Wasn't it Danny that initiated those discussions?

I think the only transaction that allows for Ainge speculation is the trade to bring Horford back.  It is very likely that this was in motion while Ainge was in charge and finalized by Stevens once the season was over.  I am sure Stevens could have nixed the deal if he wanted.  But he did the deal, so it is a Stevens' deal.

Other than that, I don't see the point in speculating as to whether or not Ainge would have traded for White or Brogdon or whoever.  Those are Stevens' deals period.  Maybe Ainge doesn't do the White deal, maybe he drives a harder bargain and gets White for a little less.  It is impossible to know and doesn't even matter.

If you want to still talk about Ainge, debate trading Gobert or Mitchell.  Debate the Westbrook trade.  There is plenty to debate with Ainge if you want to go there.  But Ainge didn't trade for White or Brogdon and Stevens did.

Eh.  People can propose and speculate about whatever "what ifs" and alternative histories they want.  Some will find them interesting, others won't.  My guess is that the lens that most Celtics fans on here view Danny through will be Celtics-oriented, rather than worrying too much about the Jazz, but that's why we've got subforums for Celtics and non-Celtics talk on here.

Fair enough, people can debate whatever they want I guess, and I can comment that I think it is irrelevant to debate what Ainge might have or not have done to trade for Derrick White when the discussion is about whether or not Stevens is a good GM.  We could also debate if Steven would have traded Mitchell if he was the GM of Utah, but to me, that seems equally irrelevant.  Stevens would have never traded Mitchell, the debate rages on.

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2023, 03:46:11 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
What a job.  Bad moves endlessly criticized and good moves scrutinized to minimize credit.

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2023, 03:50:41 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
There was a belief that no GM wanted to trade with Danny because of the idea that Danny had to win the trade. As such, seemingly nothing happened for years around here. The team was really good, but couldn't make that next leap.

I believe, because Brad isn't afraid to trade first round picks (unlike Danny), the team has been able to take that next step. No doubt, Danny deserves a ton of credit, but it's also the ability to fine-tune a roster that helps in building a championship team. For instance, do the Bucks win the title without Jrue Holiday? They already has the best player in the world, but still couldn't win it all, until after making that trade. Are the additions of White and Brongdon, the Celtics version?

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2023, 04:21:33 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
There was a belief that no GM wanted to trade with Danny because of the idea that Danny had to win the trade. As such, seemingly nothing happened for years around here. The team was really good, but couldn't make that next leap.

I believe, because Brad isn't afraid to trade first round picks (unlike Danny), the team has been able to take that next step. No doubt, Danny deserves a ton of credit, but it's also the ability to fine-tune a roster that helps in building a championship team. For instance, do the Bucks win the title without Jrue Holiday? They already has the best player in the world, but still couldn't win it all, until after making that trade. Are the additions of White and Brongdon, the Celtics version?

Brogdon could be our James Posey type player we needed in the playoffs

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2023, 02:54:19 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I’ve tried to stay positive since the conference finals defeat. But after PBS announced that Mazzulla will be staying on as head coach next season…that’s finished.

Stevens and Wyc have broken my spirit and brain. I can’t comprehend their recent decisions.

They’re treating Mazzulla like he’s this plucky work experience kid, and with time and mentoring, he’ll be a great coach.

I’d love to remind them that in two days, Horford will be 37. We have no one on the team who can fill his role, nor the foreseeable cap space.

Next season, Smart will be 30, Brogdon will be 31 and White will be 29 in a few weeks.

The time to win was now.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 02:59:43 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2023, 03:09:37 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
I’ve tried to stay positive since the conference finals defeat. But after PBS announced that Mazzulla will be staying on as head coach next season…that’s finished.

Stevens and Wyc have broken my spirit and brain. I can’t comprehend their recent decisions.

They’re treating Mazzulla like he’s this plucky work experience kid, and with time and mentoring, he’ll be a great coach.

I’d love to remind them that in two days, Horford will be 37. We have no one on the team who can fill his role, nor the foreseeable cap space.

Next season, Smart will be 30, Brogdon will be 31 and White will be 29 in a few weeks.

The time to win was now.

no worries. brown and mazz will finally get it at 40. we will just waste all of these years of having JT. i am not sure if i can get any more pizzed off at brad and wyc. gutless and cheap bums.  boycott wyc until he goes bankrupt. he deserves it.  what a clown car organization now.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2023, 04:13:29 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

The time to win was now.

Well Rob is a 5 and it sounds like Gallo will be playing the 4/5. Then you have Tatum and Grant who play the 4. I’d like to Move Horford to the bench and have him and Rob play 24 mins each.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2023, 04:19:51 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592

The time to win was now.

Well Rob is a 5 and it sounds like Gallo will be playing the 4/5. Then you have Tatum and Grant who play the 4. I’d like to Move Horford to the bench and have him and Rob play 24 mins each.

So we're going to depend on a glass body and 35 year old to take Al's place. That a bold strategy cotton.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2023, 04:31:40 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

The time to win was now.

So we're going to depend on a glass body and 35 year old to take Al's place. That a bold strategy cotton.

Forgot Muscala! So they have 6 players to cover the 4/5. That’s plenty of depth.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2023, 05:20:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

The time to win was now.

Forgot Muscala! So they have 6 players to cover the 4/5. That’s plenty of depth.
Including a quickly declining 37 year-old, a 35 year-old made of more brittle stuff than my grandma, a 25 year-old who has played over 35 games in a season twice, a 24 year-old who is just about to be wanting a new contract & potentially a new team after being benched, and a 31 year-old who was glued to the bench.

Ah, what glorious depth
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2023, 05:56:21 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

The time to win was now.

Including a quickly declining 37 year-old, a 35 year-old made of more brittle stuff than my grandma, a 25 year-old who has played over 35 games in a season twice, a 24 year-old who is just about to be wanting a new contract & potentially a new team after being benched, and a 31 year-old who was glued to the bench.

Ah, what glorious depth

And as we just saw, all that "depth" doesn't mean a hill of beans in the postseason, because Joe doesn't utilize it.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2023, 07:45:30 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Same

Bloody irritating. Mazzula getting a pass.

Not being treated like other coaches would be in this situation. This is win or go home time. No learning on the job. Do the job and do it well or get the heck out.

The time to win was now.

Agreed.