Author Topic: Rumor: Mavs Fear Doncic Trade Request  (Read 10467 times)

Re: Rumor: Mavs Fear Doncic Trade Request
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2023, 12:31:34 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
The Mavs didn't just tank the last 2 games, they just made the last 2 games a super obvious tank.  Dallas was 31-26 at one point this year.  That means they closed the season at 7-18 and were just 2-9 in their last 11.  They've been tanking for awhile.
A fine won’t hurt Cuban, taking away that 1st round pick will
I agree, I don't think they do that, but I agree.
it's the one way the league can send a message that Dallas (and every other team) will notice.  a fine won't deter anyone from doing it again.

I could see them taking a second but not a first (and even that is doubtful).  Dallas was a pretty egregious tanker here but not the worst ever.  Even this season, a lot of team sat their top players once they were out of it.  Utah sat Markkanen.  Detroit sat people.

Dallas is different in that they pretty much gave up on a play in or play off opportunity, clearly just to keep a top 10 pick.  This is more than just a few more ping pong balls. Not sure how to fix it though.
this makes it different from the other teams as you mentioned.  the way to fix it is to take away the trade exceptions and have the pick go out in the deal regardless.   it should be stated league policy that teams with an opportunity to make the playoffs are expected to make that effort.  to be that close and not play their best healthy players for multiple games is unacceptable.  While franchises are certainly permitted to be run as their management sees fit -- whether to pursue the playoffs or rebuild -- that late in the season with the playoffs within reach the team  should be expected to try for the playoffs or it's a fraud/scam perpetrated on the fans that bought tickets for those games.   

if the league doesn't push to have the pick conveyed as the penalty, have the team refund all ticket purchases for those games.  that'll also get the ownership's attention.  sadly with the volume of ticket resales, a lot of those refunds will go to scalpers/agencies that did not utilize the tickets and they end up with double the money for those tickets (refund and secondary purchasers)

That’s a terrible solution.  Why should the Knicks get rewarded with a better pick than they agreed to?

« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2023, 08:33:17 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
The Mavs didn't just tank the last 2 games, they just made the last 2 games a super obvious tank.  Dallas was 31-26 at one point this year.  That means they closed the season at 7-18 and were just 2-9 in their last 11.  They've been tanking for awhile.
it's the one way the league can send a message that Dallas (and every other team) will notice.  a fine won't deter anyone from doing it again.

I could see them taking a second but not a first (and even that is doubtful).  Dallas was a pretty egregious tanker here but not the worst ever.  Even this season, a lot of team sat their top players once they were out of it.  Utah sat Markkanen.  Detroit sat people.

Dallas is different in that they pretty much gave up on a play in or play off opportunity, clearly just to keep a top 10 pick.  This is more than just a few more ping pong balls. Not sure how to fix it though.
this makes it different from the other teams as you mentioned.  the way to fix it is to take away the trade exceptions and have the pick go out in the deal regardless.   it should be stated league policy that teams with an opportunity to make the playoffs are expected to make that effort.  to be that close and not play their best healthy players for multiple games is unacceptable.  While franchises are certainly permitted to be run as their management sees fit -- whether to pursue the playoffs or rebuild -- that late in the season with the playoffs within reach the team  should be expected to try for the playoffs or it's a fraud/scam perpetrated on the fans that bought tickets for those games.   

if the league doesn't push to have the pick conveyed as the penalty, have the team refund all ticket purchases for those games.  that'll also get the ownership's attention.  sadly with the volume of ticket resales, a lot of those refunds will go to scalpers/agencies that did not utilize the tickets and they end up with double the money for those tickets (refund and secondary purchasers)

That’s a terrible solution.  Why should the Knicks get rewarded with a better pick than they agreed to?
If they really want to punish the Mavs, just make their pick the 14th pick in the draft and send it to NY. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2023, 09:16:56 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

If they really want to punish the Mavs, just make their pick the 14th pick in the draft and send it to NY.
If the Mavs don't jump into the top 4, they'd be better off if the pick drops outside the top 10.  That would end their obligation to the Knicks and allow them to trade an additional 1st round pick.  Right now they are limited to trading their 2027 1st rounder. 

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2023, 09:58:31 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

If the Mavs don't jump into the top 4, they'd be better off if the pick drops outside the top 10.  That would end their obligation to the Knicks and allow them to trade an additional 1st round pick.  Right now they are limited to trading their 2027 1st rounder.
I don't think it's a terrible solution at all.  it would set the example that cheating the fans of the team from seeing the team play with effort with all their healthy players with a playoff appearance on the line will not be accepted.  Knicks get a pick that is a slot better than what was agreed to without disrupting the order of the draft for everyone else.   

the biggest issue, to me, is that this is not a team that was known to be bad going into the season or one that wouldn't be pursuing a playoff spot.  this isn't even a team that decided not to pursue the playoffs at the trade deadline by unloading players for other assets to begin a rebuild/reset.  Expectations set early in the season or even midseason are not an issue.  it's the blatant last minute tanking to forego attempting to make the playoffs to save a draft pick by taking a dive in the last 2 games when there's clearly healthy all-star-level players being held out of games.  THAT needs to be highly discouraged in this league and this would be a step in that direction.   heck, I wouldn't even be bothered by a team that did this that was already missing the playoffs and sat players to beat a protection clause to keep a pick if that protection is say top 4, top 6, etc..  as long as it wasn't the difference between making the playoffs and not and they have the chance to make the playoffs.

again, if there's hesitancy about making the pick convey, I highly recommend the team issues a full refund on all tickets purchased for the games that they tanked.  the issue is identifying the people at the games that deserve the refund and not just giving the money back to the initial purchasers who likely sold off the tickets to someone else.

« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2023, 08:35:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Assuming Irving doesn't want to be back, what about this 3 team trade

Portland - Davis
Los Angeles - Irving, Sharpe, #3
Dallas - Nurkic, Little, 24 Por 1st

Portland goes all in with Lillard, Davis, Simons, Grant.  LA get Irving, a nice young SG, and 3 which they can use in a trade for an established star or draft a potential future star.  Dallas gets a solid center, a reasonably priced wing, and a future pick along with a good sized trade exception to get out of the Irving experiment which didn't work for them.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2023, 09:17:45 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Now this is who you trade Jaylen for.

« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2023, 09:21:03 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591

Could you imagine

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2023, 09:22:49 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2023, 09:49:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Yeah trade Rob and Jalen and couple draft picks

Send Doncic ….please.

« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2023, 09:52:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Dang toot n !

Re: Rumor: Mav's Fear Doncic Trade Request
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2023, 01:03:26 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

—————————

Would I trade for Doncic? No I wouldn't.

IMO, Doncic and Tatum would have issues operating in the same offensive zones, not to mention that Dallas has allowed Doncic to become Harden 2.0, in terms of his terrible off-ball movement and lazy defensive intensity.

This. I think somebody could build a contender around him, but it’s going to take some very smart roster construction and him growing up a little.

That said, if i *had* to make a trade, I would send Tatum, not Brown. You can only have one heliocentric player. Then I’d make additional trades to try to surround him with complementary players. That might need a lot of work, since the rest of the team is built for ball movement and five-out play rather than his short post-up game. It’d take an overhaul and honestly, even if you can do it that style of basketball is just less fun to watch. We have a contender now. Would not blow it up.

Wow. Absolutely not. Are we forgetting how the NBA works? Top 5 talents win. This trade would give us two top 5 players.  You make that trade ten out of ten times and figure out the rest later.

The shocking thing with the Celtics currently,  is Tatum is looking more like a 1B player than a 1A. Think about this.  He's first team all NBA and a top five player and I'm still not sure he's "The Man"

That's why Brad Steven's was thinking about flipping Brown for Durant. Durant would have been 1A and Tatum 1B. Durants aging quickly its a tough call.

Now Luka is 1A and Tatum is 1B. With Timelord, Horford, White, Brogdon as role player's? It's over just bring in one or two three and D wings and rings incoming for years.

Tatum's play has not indicated he can take us over the hump. You win championships with the best players. Luka is better than Brown and it's not close.

« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2023, 01:10:18 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
If the Celtics were to trade for Doncic, IMO, it would be structured (something) like this:

Celtics: Doncic

Mavs: Brown, Smart, Celtics 2024 - Round 1 Pick, Celtics 2026 - Round 1 Pick, Celtics 2029 - Round 1 Pick Swap

Celtics: Bertans

Mavs: Williams (S + T)

—————————

Boston Celtics

Depth Chart

PG White, Prichard

SG Doncic, Brogdon

SF Tatum, Gallinari, Hauser

PF Horford, Muscala, Bertans

C  Williams III, Kornet

—————————

IMO, Doncic and Tatum would have issues operating in the same offensive zones, not to mention that Dallas has allowed Doncic to become Harden 2.0, in terms of his terrible off-ball movement and lazy defensive intensity.

Good god what an awful proposal. Back to the drawing board Ed.

« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2023, 02:32:02 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
If the Celtics were to trade for Doncic, IMO, it would be structured (something) like this:

Mavs: Brown, Smart, Celtics 2024 - Round 1 Pick, Celtics 2026 - Round 1 Pick, Celtics 2029 - Round 1 Pick Swap

—————————

Boston Celtics

Depth Chart

PG White, Prichard

SG Doncic, Brogdon

C  Williams III, Kornet

—————————

Haha I tried lol

Too much or not enough?
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2023, 02:48:52 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

—————————

Boston Celtics

Depth Chart

PG White, Prichard

SG Doncic, Brogdon

C  Williams III, Kornet

—————————

Haha I tried lol

Too much or not enough?

The 2026 pick and the pick swap are just free lottery tickets you can’t include especially when you are giving up a guy that is by all accounts a top 15 player (brown). Doncic is clearly viewed as a better player but doncic has serious questions about his conditioning and defense that have not even slightly improved In the last 5 years. I don’t blame you for throwing them in, half the teams in the nba seemingly forgot overnight about how the Celtics got Tatum and brown. But I pretty much guarantee some of these crazy pick swaps from the Paul George trade, the harden trade, the recent lakers Westbrook trade are gonna turn into the new version of lilliard for Gerald Wallace and teams will stop throwing them around like they are garbage.

« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2023, 06:25:06 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365

Yeah, this is about the only player i'd trade him for. ONLY thing is though

he plays zero defense...