Author Topic: Three Bleacher Report trade proposals  (Read 6876 times)

Re: Three Bleacher Report trade proposals
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2023, 10:34:37 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
If Brown request a trade, I would but no way I trade him
He might not actually have to request a trade for the team to realize they need to trade him i.e. he is offered the supermax extension and doesn't sign it.  I think then Boston will be forced to trade him.

The odds of this happening are 0.00000001%, so not sure why we would even discuss this hypothetical.

With it looking more likely that Brown will get 3rd team All NBA, and be eligible for $290M 5 year extension, I think this is all going to become moot.  If he becomes eligible but declines the extension, then there is reason to be concerned and it will understandably be open season for all kinds of Jaylen Brown trade talk.  But until that happens, he isn't going anywhere.

If MIN offers up Towns or something like that, sure, the Celtics are going to pause and consider it, like they probably did when Durant was on the market.  And even if a team was willing to offer a king's ransom for him, they are going to wait until the contract thing plays out also.

I am going to go out on a limb with a bold prediction, Brown will not be traded, he will get his All NBA selection, and he will sign a super max extension, and the Celtics and Brown will live happily ever after.

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2023, 10:47:20 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
If Brown request a trade, I would but no way I trade him
He might not actually have to request a trade for the team to realize they need to trade him i.e. he is offered the supermax extension and doesn't sign it.  I think then Boston will be forced to trade him.

Another team can offer him four-years at roughly $184.5 million, depending on the cap.  The supermax deal would be five years, roughly $290M. Maybe you imagine Jaylen hates Boston so much he’ll turn down this kind of deal. I think that is extremely unlikely.
Players do weird things.  Irving turned down the supermax here, for example.  And yes, giving up roughly 50 million (assuming he'd sign the max in 4 years) does seem like a weird thing to do, but it does happen.  He also might sign only a 3 year contract, and end up boosting up year 4 and 5 when he signs those under the new tv deals.

If your starting point is “players are weird”, you can end up talking about a lot of unlikely scenarios - especially the ones you really want to happen - even if they’re very unlikely.

I hope he gets all-NBA, because if he doesn’t the rational thing will be for him to wait another year (i.e., not sign an extension) - and that’s going to trigger another year of speculation about his motives and trade wishes from people who want to get rid of him. No thanks.

« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2023, 11:01:25 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Players do weird things.  Irving turned down the supermax here, for example.

In Cleveland, you mean?  If he'd stuck it out there for two years, he would have been eligible for the supermax.  I don't think he was in Boston.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2023, 12:17:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Players do weird things.  Irving turned down the supermax here, for example.

In Cleveland, you mean?  If he'd stuck it out there for two years, he would have been eligible for the supermax.  I don't think he was in Boston.
I think I was conflating the 5 year max with the 4 year he ended up with.  He did leave money on the table though, both annually and in total.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2023, 05:16:10 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I think people underestimate Lillard. His shine has always been taken away by Curry, but Lillard is clearly a top 10 player and hasn't shown a sign of decline yet (although that would be typical Celtics luck if that happened). But in contrast to Kemba he's an amazing shooter.

A player like Lillard is levels above Brown (or Beal or even Towns for that matter). Brown is a 'star' who can win you a game, while Dame is a 'superstar' who can win you a series. I believe such a trade would significantly increase our chances to win a championship in the short term.

However if that trajectory would fail, it is a huge loss, since it's unlikely that Lillard's contract would deliver many assets. And the wing position is very scarce. It's difficult to find wings who are adequate at both sides of the court. That's why Brown should hold tremendous trading value and why (for me) there aren't a bunch of guys I'd trade Brown for despite I feel he's overrated.

For the record, the players on the Celtics I find currently overrated and underrated:

Overrated: Pritchard (love him, but I fear he won't amount to more than a back-up), Smart, Brown, G.Williams
Rated accordingly: Brogdon, Tatum, Horford, Griffin, Kornet
Underrated: White, Hauser (very underrated), Muscala, R.Williams

« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2023, 05:22:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Reports out of ATL are, they might move on from Young.  With Smart on the team, I don't think it's a fit, unless Smart were traded instead of JB.  I'm not much of a Young fan, maybe we can get a 3rd team involved and get a piece that fits better.  IDK.

What's fair value for Young?  He can single-handedly win you games.  He can put the team on his back.  But, he'll also cost plenty of games, he's a disliked teammate, and he doesn't play defense.

He's like Monta Ellis 2.0, or a PG version of Kobe that didn't play defense and didn't have the work ethic. 

His best role will probably be on a bad to mediocre team without any elite prospects that hopes to be a lower end playoff team for the next several years.
I still a think a 3 team trade with the C's, Blazers, and Hawks makes a lot of sense

Something like this perhaps

Boston - Lillard, Nurkic, Griffin
Atlanta - Brown, Smart, Sharpe
Portland - Young, Collins, Bey/Okongwu
I would do this 100/100 times. A team of the below is nasty!

Lillard / Pritchard
White / Brogdon
Tatum / Hauser / Griffin
Horford / G-Will
R-Will3 / Nurkic
I'd do this 0/100 times.  the money Lillard is expecting in his next deal -- at his age well into his 30's - is a franchise killer.   absolutely no way do I want to be the sucker paying Lillard on his next deal -- especially with his lack of D added to that contract at his age.
If Lillard had at all declined I might agree
If Lillard had led Portland anywhere, I might agree with you.  He couldn't even get his team in the playin games.
Michael Jordan would struggle to lead this Portland squad to the play-in. They have the worst bench in the entire league
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2023, 05:31:59 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
Reports out of ATL are, they might move on from Young.  With Smart on the team, I don't think it's a fit, unless Smart were traded instead of JB.  I'm not much of a Young fan, maybe we can get a 3rd team involved and get a piece that fits better.  IDK.

What's fair value for Young?  He can single-handedly win you games.  He can put the team on his back.  But, he'll also cost plenty of games, he's a disliked teammate, and he doesn't play defense.

He's like Monta Ellis 2.0, or a PG version of Kobe that didn't play defense and didn't have the work ethic. 

His best role will probably be on a bad to mediocre team without any elite prospects that hopes to be a lower end playoff team for the next several years.
I still a think a 3 team trade with the C's, Blazers, and Hawks makes a lot of sense

Lillard / Pritchard
White / Brogdon
Tatum / Hauser / Griffin
Horford / G-Will
R-Will3 / Nurkic
I'd do this 0/100 times.  the money Lillard is expecting in his next deal -- at his age well into his 30's - is a franchise killer.   absolutely no way do I want to be the sucker paying Lillard on his next deal -- especially with his lack of D added to that contract at his age.
If Lillard had led Portland anywhere, I might agree with you.  He couldn't even get his team in the playin games.
Michael Jordan would struggle to lead this Portland squad to the play-in. They have the worst bench in the entire league
You can't expect much from a 60 year old man.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2023, 03:43:53 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Lillard / Pritchard
White / Brogdon
Tatum / Hauser / Griffin
Horford / G-Will
R-Will3 / Nurkic
You can't expect much from a 60 year old man.
I bet MJ would be confident in his ability to do so :P
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)