Author Topic: Sell me on Zach Edey.  (Read 3304 times)

Re: Sell me on Zach Edey.
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2023, 06:59:18 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Edey could play for a team that features drop coverage but those teams are few and far between.  Hopefully for him he works on his lateral movement prior to the draft camps.

Agree, he is very dependent on system fit. The Cs went down this road with Taco, its tough when the teams top of the rotation bigs play one style and the 2-way/last big on the bench plays a completely different style.

While I don't like his fit with the Celtics I do think he carves out a decent NBA career. Taco was a fringe player and Edey is fare superior prospect. Boban has had an 8 year carer and played in over 300 games after coming to the NBA at 27 years old.

I also think its worth noting that Edey's ceiling is likely as a low leverage situation stat sheet filler. Meaning if he is on a bad team that isn't overly concerned with defense I can see him putting up good numbers. Even some of the leagues best bigs find themselves becoming liabilities in high leverage crunch time minutes.     

I can see him playing in the regular season but not in the playoffs but he's still young so that could change.

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2023, 02:08:18 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

On offense picture this.  If Edey was the Center for the Celtics with this team and when he gets single covered in the Post or double if you dare imagine this team.

Edey
Horford
Tatum
Brown
Brogdon

Or

Edey
Tatum
Brown
White
Brogdon

Edey will crush most modern centers down low, and if you double him, wide open threes for a team full of shooters.

Would be a Godsend in the second round.

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2023, 04:24:58 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Edey is dominant in college but sell me that he can play in the current NBA with all he switching and the 3 point bombing. He is huge and has skill around the rim.

He reminds me of Luka Garza when he played for Iowa. He had a glittering college career as well, consensus All American, Big Ten POTY, college POTY...just that when you get to the pros you can't push people around like you did in college. Unless you can shoot the ball and not get killed on switches I think you're going to struggle, at best he'd be looking at a Kornet type niche role. Size just by itself doesn't translate to today's NBA, otherwise Tacko would be killing it here and not in China.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2023, 09:01:19 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Edey is dominant in college but sell me that he can play in the current NBA with all he switching and the 3 point bombing. He is huge and has skill around the rim.

He reminds me of Luka Garza when he played for Iowa. He had a glittering college career as well, consensus All American, Big Ten POTY, college POTY...just that when you get to the pros you can't push people around like you did in college. Unless you can shoot the ball and not get killed on switches I think you're going to struggle, at best he'd be looking at a Kornet type niche role. Size just by itself doesn't translate to today's NBA, otherwise Tacko would be killing it here and not in China.

I agree and while I think Edey is more talented than Tacko or Garza I feel that's close to his career trajectory.

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2023, 10:18:47 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Terrible comp IMO.

Garza is 6'10" 7'1" wingspan 8'11" Standing reach.

9 feet SR is the baseline for centers Timelord is 9'3"

Edey is 7'4"  7'7" wingspan 9'9" standing reach.

Yes they are both slow, but size you just can't compare.

Sox inch height advantage for Edey and a whopping ten inch standing reach advantage.  Huge difference.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 11:50:47 PM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2023, 03:51:30 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Terrible comp IMO.

Sox inch height advantage for Edey and a whopping ten inch standing reach advantage.  Huge difference.

The comp was less on their physical attributes and more on how they play, how they dominate/d college hoops and how I expect they will both fare in the NBA, because the game has changed and it's hard for these kinds of players to succeed just on size. They either need to have great athleticism like Timelord where he can dominate his position despite being 6"8, or stretch the floor and allow a team to play five-out basketball, or have an overpowering post game like Embiid, or is an otherworldly passer like Jokic. Otherwise they're just going to fill a niche because they struggle with switches, they'll get attacked on PnR and will find it hard to defend on the perimeter. Ten or fifteen years ago Edey might have well been a lottery pick, maybe even top 5, just on size alone.

As liam said Edey is more talented than Garza or Tacko, but I see his future as a Kornet-type situational player. Certainly worth a shot in the second round if he's still available. But the Cs might think back on their Tacko experience and wonder if they want to go through all that again, picking a developmental player with limitations for a team that's arrived at its championship window.

But Edey is only a junior and he gets another year of eligibility because of the Covid shutdown, so he's got time to work on diversifying his skillset, possibly developing a credible outside shot and getting better at passing the ball to start the offense to find cutters, and letting scouts get a better idea of what defensive schemes might be able to cloak his deficiencies.

Sorry liam...I know I was supposed to be selling you but I'm finding it hard  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2023, 04:04:40 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Terrible comp IMO.

The comp was less on their physical attributes and more on how they play, how they dominate/d college hoops and how I expect they will both fare in the NBA, because the game has changed and it's hard for these kinds of players to succeed just on size. They either need to have great athleticism like Timelord where he can dominate his position despite being 6"8, or stretch the floor and allow a team to play five-out basketball, or have an overpowering post game like Embiid, or is an otherworldly passer like Jokic. Otherwise they're just going to fill a niche because they struggle with switches, they'll get attacked on PnR and will find it hard to defend on the perimeter. Ten or fifteen years ago Edey might have well been a lottery pick, maybe even top 5, just on size alone.

As liam said Edey is more talented than Garza or Tacko, but I see his future as a Kornet-type situational player. Certainly worth a shot in the second round if he's still available. But the Cs might think back on their Tacko experience and wonder if they want to go through all that again, picking a developmental player with limitations for a team that's arrived at its championship window.

But Edey is only a junior and he gets another year of eligibility because of the Covid shutdown, so he's got time to work on diversifying his skillset, possibly developing a credible outside shot and getting better at passing the ball to start the offense to find cutters, and letting scouts get a better idea of what defensive schemes might be able to cloak his deficiencies.

Sorry liam...I know I was supposed to be selling you but I'm finding it hard  :laugh:

https://youtube.com/shorts/vDc7phHA9VQ?feature=share

Look at these Stats. Absolutely foolish to pass on Yao Ming Jr.

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2023, 05:59:16 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Terrible comp IMO.

Garza is also a lot more skilful on offence.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2023, 07:18:09 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Can’t
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2023, 09:36:37 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I'm not sold yet. This kid is a very unique player and I think it's hard to project how he'll fit in the NBA hence the thread. He is huge and skilled if he had an outside shot, which he could add in time, it might change the narrative quite a bit. It'll be stuff like passing, screening, and rebounding that'll give him a spot on a squad.