Author Topic: Sell me on Zach Edey.  (Read 3233 times)

Sell me on Zach Edey.
« on: March 28, 2023, 03:35:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Edey is dominant in college but sell me that he can play in the current NBA with all he switching and the 3 point bombing. He is huge and has skill around the rim.

Re: Sell me on Zach Edey.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 03:38:58 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Edey is dominant in college but sell me that he can play in the current NBA with all he switching and the 3 point bombing. He is huge and has skill around the rim.

If we take a time machine back to 30 years ago, he is probably selected high in the draft.  But today? 

He does have decent hands, some good post moves, and skills.  It wasn't all being that tall with him.  I watched Purdue a number of times and they looked really good everytime.  Edey was a handfull in the games I watched.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 03:44:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

If we take a time machine back to 30 years ago, he is probably selected high in the draft.  But today? 

He does have decent hands, some good post moves, and skills.  It wasn't all being that tall with him.  I watched Purdue a number of times and they looked really good everytime.  Edey was a handfull in the games I watched.

He looks like a hand full down low but The NBA doesn't feature post-play like it once did. It seems like most if not all NBA bigs need to be able to have a jump shot and be able to guard on the perimeter.

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 03:50:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 03:51:10 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Also really big screens.

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 04:06:08 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Edey could play for a team that features drop coverage but those teams are few and far between.  Hopefully for him he works on his lateral movement prior to the draft camps. 

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 04:18:30 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Edey could play for a team that features drop coverage but those teams are few and far between.  Hopefully for him he works on his lateral movement prior to the draft camps.

Yeah, that's the big knock on him, he's plodding.

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 04:21:06 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I  think I'm in this camp:

"Has good touch on half hooks and little flip shots and layups around the rim.

Unstoppable at the college level but an awkward fit in today’s NBA."

https://nbadraftroom.com/zach-edey/

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 04:25:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He's too slow and poor defensively in space and on the perimeter, without being a truly dominant force elsewhere to cover for it. Guys like Nurkic get away with it due to a variety of other skills they bring to the table (Nurk can pass and shoot, for example).
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 04:28:52 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q9OSy_0prs

He is so much bigger than anyone else on the floor in this reel but he showed some valuable skill.  Soft touch, good sense of the game.

He is only 20 years old, that is a plus.  There is a lot of ceiling with 20 year olds that are 7'-4".  He is listed at 295 lbs.  I think to make it in the NBA, he would need to slim down, like Grant did one off season.  But unfortunately, most 20 year olds tend to gain weight as they mature, not lose weight.

For the Celtics, he would be a second round pick.  Could be a reasonable pick.

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 04:31:50 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
He will be great overseas.  :)
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 04:34:54 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
He's too slow and poor defensively in space and on the perimeter, without being a truly dominant force elsewhere to cover for it. Guys like Nurkic get away with it due to a variety of other skills they bring to the table (Nurk can pass and shoot, for example).

He has skill but like you, I think he's just too slow.

But sell me!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 04:46:39 PM by liam »

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2023, 04:54:52 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I feel like this kid is going to be an NBA player: Grant Nelson.

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfeed/what-can-grant-nelson-bring-at-the-next-level

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2023, 05:11:07 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Agree, he is very dependent on system fit. The Cs went down this road with Taco, its tough when the teams top of the rotation bigs play one style and the 2-way/last big on the bench plays a completely different style.

While I don't like his fit with the Celtics I do think he carves out a decent NBA career. Taco was a fringe player and Edey is fare superior prospect. Boban has had an 8 year carer and played in over 300 games after coming to the NBA at 27 years old.

I also think its worth noting that Edey's ceiling is likely as a low leverage situation stat sheet filler. Meaning if he is on a bad team that isn't overly concerned with defense I can see him putting up good numbers. Even some of the leagues best bigs find themselves becoming liabilities in high leverage crunch time minutes.       
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2023, 06:36:03 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I can sell you on Edey. Started playing basketball 5 years ago. I repeat he's been balling for 5 years and now he's the player of the year.

He throws a baseball Like Danny Ainge. Om serious I was a pitcher and his throwing mechanics are incredible for a 7'4" guy.  He throws over 80mph.

His legs are tree trunks, he grew up in canada playing Hockey.  You can't push him away from the rim. Also a good volleyball player.  Excellent hand eye coridination.

Really confident he can develop a three, but he belongs near the rim. Obviously a huge liability on switches.