Author Topic: So it begins... Who wants Jaylen?  (Read 13800 times)

Re: So it begins... Who wants Jaylen?
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2023, 12:19:46 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Was listening to Simmons talk about this. There are some downsides to signing Jaylen to the super max - a key one being is he worth it? 

I like him as a player quite a bit but he has some holes in his game. Also he and Tatum on a Supermax apparently sharply limits their options for improving the roster over time. And I guess the new collective bargaining agreement plays a role here.

Keeping him and Tatum together may not be the slam dunk that many think it is.

« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2023, 12:24:05 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
I do Jaylen and Smart for Luka and Maxi Kleber. It works in trade machine.

I don't want to trade Jaylen...
Reuniting Jaylen and Kyrie would be hilarious
Not as hilarious as our defense with Luka on the court - and Joe coaching if they retain him.

« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2023, 12:30:57 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Given that the team was pushing Jaylen's All-NBA case pretty hard at he end of the year I'd say there's a nearly 100% chance they offer the supermax. And I'd say about the same that Jaylen accepts the supermax, because nobody turns down that money.

That doesn't mean he'll be in Boston the entire contract, a year, two or three down the line he could demand a trade or the c's could move a different direction. But I think the chances he's on the team in the near term just skyrocketed.

Signing the supermax prohibits him from being traded for 1 year from date of signing, so that means if he signs he'll be in Boston AT LEAST all of next year.

« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2023, 01:10:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Was listening to Simmons talk about this. There are some downsides to signing Jaylen to the super max - a key one being is he worth it? 

I like him as a player quite a bit but he has some holes in his game. Also he and Tatum on a Supermax apparently sharply limits their options for improving the roster over time. And I guess the new collective bargaining agreement plays a role here.

A question I have:

Will Boston ever be able to surround the Jays with a better supporting cast than they have this year if they are both on super-max deals?

Is this the most help they are ever going to have?

« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2023, 02:24:23 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484

A question I have:

Will Boston ever be able to surround the Jays with a better supporting cast than they have this year if they are both on super-max deals?

We still have picks we can trade. Or maybe we get lucky in the draft or with a free agent. There should be avenues to acquire talent down the road.

« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2023, 02:27:58 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

A question I have:

Probably. The depth of this current team is a luxury we're not going to afford in the future. That's why it'll be huge missed opportunity if the Celtics can't win it this year and I'd look to improve/cement our position in a different way (find a better player/fit than Brown).

Again, scratch every team's first two options, and I'm confident that White/Pritchard/Smart/Brogdon/Hauser/G-Will/Muscala/Horford/Griffin/Timelord would beat any team easily.

« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2023, 02:31:32 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Given that the team was pushing Jaylen's All-NBA case pretty hard at he end of the year I'd say there's a nearly 100% chance they offer the supermax. And I'd say about the same that Jaylen accepts the supermax, because nobody turns down that money.

That doesn't mean he'll be in Boston the entire contract, a year, two or three down the line he could demand a trade or the c's could move a different direction. But I think the chances he's on the team in the near term just skyrocketed.

Signing the supermax prohibits him from being traded for 1 year from date of signing, so that means if he signs he'll be in Boston AT LEAST all of next year.

Question - can you do an extend-and-trade scenario with the super max? Feels like that’s a way to skirt the regulations around the super max so I doubt it, but that’d be another option for us this summer if we wanted to go a different route (e.g. Dame).

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2023, 02:31:43 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

A question I have:

We still have picks we can trade. Or maybe we get lucky in the draft or with a free agent. There should be avenues to acquire talent down the road.

The chances of picking up guys of the caliber of White and Brogdon via free agency (when over the cap) or via a late draft pick trade are slim.

« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2023, 02:41:39 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald

A question I have:

Probably. The depth of this current team is a luxury we're not going to afford in the future. That's why it'll be huge missed opportunity if the Celtics can't win it this year and I'd look to improve/cement our position in a different way (find a better player/fit than Brown).

Again, scratch every team's first two options, and I'm confident that White/Pritchard/Smart/Brogdon/Hauser/G-Will/Muscala/Horford/Griffin/Timelord would beat any team easily.
It was on the coach to utilize that depth properly and he did for awhile. Then he stopped for reasons only he can properly explain.  So yes, the roster on paper is probably as good as it's going to get. But that really hasn't mattered due to Joe.

« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2023, 03:04:16 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
I want him
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2023, 03:35:27 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Question - can you do an extend-and-trade scenario with the super max? Feels like that’s a way to skirt the regulations around the super max so I doubt it, but that’d be another option for us this summer if we wanted to go a different route (e.g. Dame).

No. If he signs the supermax, there's a year long trade restriction.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2023, 03:46:14 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Seriously? Would we want him?!

A 26 year old stud who has improved every year since being in the league who is about to enter the prime of his career? Would we want him?

This is foolish

« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2023, 04:07:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
JB to the Rockets is heating up, especially with Ime heading there.  I didn't realize that JB and Ime had become close.  So, poking around, I saw this online and I thought, [dang], what a package:

Celtics Get: Kevin Porter Jr., Alperen Sengun, Tari Eason, and four future first-round draft pick
Rockets Get: Jaylen Brown

I love JB and was one of the few who were thrilled when the C's drafted him, but I just might seriously consider this!

BTW, Congrats to second team All NBA!
No interest in Porter Jr. Replace him with Green and take away 2 picks and I’m in. Gives us a team of:

Smart / Brogdon
White / Green
Tatum / Eason
Horford / Williams or Hauser
Sengun / Williams III

'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2023, 05:48:44 PM »

Online LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Why do we want to ship him for picks? We’d be lucky if any of those picks become an All-NBA player. I admit I didn’t think All-NBA was in the cards for JB. I thought he’d be an on-off allstar as his ceiling. Still really good but not all-NBA caliber.

Keep JB. That’s the correct answer
- LilRip

« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2023, 05:59:20 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
Why do we want to ship him for picks? We’d be lucky if any of those picks become an All-NBA player. I admit I didn’t think All-NBA was in the cards for JB. I thought he’d be an on-off allstar as his ceiling. Still really good but not all-NBA caliber.

Keep JB. That’s the correct answer

Yeah this board is ridiculous. Let's ship off a 26ppg scorer who is all NBA because it's going to cost an owner (not mine) money. So we can dream over what some draft pick might become. And wast the prime of this core.