Author Topic: So it begins... Who wants Jaylen?  (Read 13721 times)

Re: So it begins... Who wants Jaylen?
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2023, 01:23:07 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
*this is not a serious post because I want to JKJB

I don’t want Trae, but I would love the guy he was traded for, Luka. Dallas is in a nose dive since adding Kyrie. Luka might not have wanted out before, but he’s probably more willing now to ask for a trade.

Kyrie would have to want to stay in Dallas for this to work, but JB and whatever for Luka. JB gets reunited with his buddy, and Celtics get a star that can take the pressure off Tatum.

The first caveat is the same with Trae, the defense has to step up to cover for Luka, but at least Luka is physically bigger than Trae. The second caveat is whether the problem in Dallas is Luka? Is he so ball dominant that he can’t play with Tatum, or does he open up both his and Tatum’s games? It would be nice to have someone besides Tatum taking last second desperation shots trying to win a championship game.

Don't worry, I don't think anyone will take this seriously. Any offer would have to start with Tatum, and that might not get it done. Luka is in the un-tradeable tier of players.

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2023, 01:58:08 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
*this is not a serious post because I want to JKJB

I don’t want Trae, but I would love the guy he was traded for, Luka. Dallas is in a nose dive since adding Kyrie. Luka might not have wanted out before, but he’s probably more willing now to ask for a trade.

Kyrie would have to want to stay in Dallas for this to work, but JB and whatever for Luka. JB gets reunited with his buddy, and Celtics get a star that can take the pressure off Tatum.

The first caveat is the same with Trae, the defense has to step up to cover for Luka, but at least Luka is physically bigger than Trae. The second caveat is whether the problem in Dallas is Luka? Is he so ball dominant that he can’t play with Tatum, or does he open up both his and Tatum’s games? It would be nice to have someone besides Tatum taking last second desperation shots trying to win a championship game.

Don't worry, I don't think anyone will take this seriously. Any offer would have to start with Tatum, and that might not get it done. Luka is in the un-tradeable tier of players.

I could see Luka asking out in a year or two though. Especially if Irving goes elsewhere. Like how is Dallas going to add someone else? I don't think they have enough cap space for an outright max signing, and the other method is to practically trade away your entire bench to get the #2 star, which means you have no bench left basically. Their bench is already thin.

I think Dallas really messed up the Brunson thing and should have worked it out. Now they lose him, probably DFS/Dinwiddie/Kyrie all after this season, and coming off what may be a missed postseason (or very early exit). Idk how Doncic can be happy unless he's content remaining on a mediocre team

Watch out for OKC. They have A TON of young talent, upcoming picks, and cap space over the next few years. If Luka demands out in a year or two, OKC should go all-in for him to pair with SGA, Chet and possibly another star (or a young up-and-coming one they draft)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2023, 04:18:02 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
The OP is yet another "other teams want this guy" report that gets talked about as though it says, "this guy wants other teams." I don't know what Jaylen wants but I don't see any reason to actually think he'd skip town at this point.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2023, 09:07:35 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Reports started surfacing last night that Houston is going to make a strong push for Jaylen.
In fact it would be a Jaylen/Ime combo which is somewhat believable.

Jaylen becomes the clear guy and is back with the coach he wants to play for. Question is what does houston have that we would possibly want? I dont think Jaylen is worth the #1 or 2 pick, but maybe he is?

https://hoopshype.com/2023/04/03/rockets-to-pursue-jaylen-brown/

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2023, 09:11:50 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Reports started surfacing last night that Houston is going to make a strong push for Jaylen.
In fact it would be a Jaylen/Ime combo which is somewhat believable.

Jaylen becomes the clear guy and is back with the coach he wants to play for. Question is what does houston have that we would possibly want? I dont think Jaylen is worth the #1 or 2 pick, but maybe he is?

https://hoopshype.com/2023/04/03/rockets-to-pursue-jaylen-brown/

Green + Sengun + picks?

I'm in no way advocating that, although it would be amusing to see Jaylen Brown traded for Jalen Green.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2023, 09:19:58 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
In the talk of will Jaylen sign an extension or not, one thing that was lost is that the new CBA increases the chances he’d sign an extension with his new team if traded over the summer.  Accordingly, his trade value should have just increased.

Seeing Houston mentioned makes me wonder how Jaylen would like playing for a team owner that doesn’t at all support his beliefs, as opposed to one who at least pretends to support many of them.

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/report-james-harden-russell-westbrook-want-out-of-houston-due-to-owners-trump-support-192536676.html

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2023, 09:23:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
In the talk of will Jaylen sign an extension or not, one thing that was lost is that the new CBA increases the chances he’d sign an extension with his new team if traded over the summer.  Accordingly, his trade value should have just increased.

Seeing Houston mentioned makes me wonder how Jaylen would like playing for a team owner that doesn’t at all support his beliefs, as opposed to one who at least pretends to support many of them.

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/report-james-harden-russell-westbrook-want-out-of-houston-due-to-owners-trump-support-192536676.html
I'm pretty sure most NBA owners are Republicans, so I'm not sure that is really going to affect much.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2023, 09:23:44 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Hard to say.  I mean, he signed up with Kanye when Kanye was a Trump supporter, right?  At the same time, Kanye was investing in things that Brown cared about.

And, as Moranis said, I suspect a lot of NBA owners are Republicans.  Among Celtics ownership, Steve Pagliuca and Bain Capital don't scream "progressive causes".

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2023, 09:35:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I do still like the idea of Lillard in a trade of Brown (again I think it is worth saying you only even consider moving on from Brown if the team falls short in the playoffs this year).  Definitely more of a short term move, but I do think he'd raise Boston's ceiling over the next couple of years.  And when you are close, any ceiling raise can make all the difference in the world. 

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2023, 09:36:30 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Hard to say.  I mean, he signed up with Kanye when Kanye was a Trump supporter, right?  At the same time, Kanye was investing in things that Brown cared about.

And, as Moranis said, I suspect a lot of NBA owners are Republicans.  Among Celtics ownership, Steve Pagliuca and Bain Capital don't scream "progressive causes".

I don’t know his position on racial justice issues, because that was not a major issue in 2009 (the year after Obama was elected and the buzzword was “post-racial) but Pags ran on a relatively progressive platform when he campaigned for Ted Kennedy’s seat.

Also, Kanye is Kanye, in that he was a cultural icon for a lot of black men of Jaylen’s age.  The same can’t be said of Tillman Fertitta.

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2023, 09:45:54 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I don’t know his position on racial justice issues, because that was not a major issue in 2009 (the year after Obama was elected and the buzzword was “post-racial) but Pags ran on a relatively progressive platform when he campaigned for Ted Kennedy’s seat.

Also, Kanye is Kanye, in that he was a cultural icon for a lot of black men of Jaylen’s age.  The same can’t be said of Tillman Fertitta.

Pags is a chameleon who doesn't stand for anything other than making gobs and gobs of money.  He's supported plenty of Republicans, only to pretend he was a progressive in 2009. 

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2023, 09:49:53 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

Is being a Republican and being a Trump Supporter the same thing now?  Phil Scott (Governor of VT) is a Republican but not a Trump Supporter.  Frm. Gov Charlie Baker also.  I don't think Brown would have any problem if Charlie Baker was the team owner.  I don't know the politics of the Rockets owner but if he is truly a Trumper, then I can understand why NBA players, including Brown, would have some issue.

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2023, 09:55:04 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Oh, and as to Brown to Houston, I am sure we are going to hear a lot of that sort of thing.  I am not against trading Brown but it would have to be for some good young players, proven starters.  I am not so interested in draft picks.  Picks can be used in other trades for actual players so they can be in the mix but the core of a trade for Brown has to be solid, proven players, kind of like what BKN got for Durant.  Not sure HOU can fulfill that.

To recap, the Nets traded Durant and Warren to PHO and after "flipping" Crowder to MIL, ended up with:

Mikal Bridges
Cam Johnson
draft rights to guard Juan Pablo Vaulet (from IND)
2 seconds (from MIL)
four unprotected future first-round picks (from PHO)

The Celtics aren't going to get quite that haul for Brown (and we don't have TJ Warren to throw in), but I would take the equivalent of Bridges and Johnson and a couple of picks for Brown if someone wants him that badly.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 10:46:40 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2023, 10:12:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Is being a Republican and being a Trump Supporter the same thing now?  Phil Scott (Governor of VT) is a Republican but not a Trump Supporter.  Frm. Gov Charlie Baker also.  I don't think Brown would have any problem if Charlie Baker was the team owner.  I don't know the politics of the Rockets owner but if he is truly a Trumper, then I can understand why NBA players, including Brown, would have some issue.
I think during a Presidential election almost everyone that is a Republican voted for Trump even if they weren't super excited about it.

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2023, 10:23:19 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

T
I think during a Presidential election almost everyone that is a Republican voted for Trump even if they weren't super excited about it.

I don't know if Charlie Baker (for example) voted for Trump or not.  But there is a big difference if say the "My Pillow" guy owned the team or if Charlie Baker owned the team.  I don't know anything about the Rockets' owner but if he is a My Pillow type guy, I don't think Brown (or a lot of players) would want to play for him.  If he is more Charlie Baker, I doubt most players would have any issue at all.  I know these are extremes but I am using them to try to make my point.