Author Topic: So it begins... Who wants Jaylen?  (Read 13715 times)

Re: So it begins... Who wants Jaylen?
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2023, 05:15:28 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
"one. Keep JB."

G: Smart, Payne
G: D White, Shamet
F: Jaylen, Hauser
F: Tatum, Gallo
C: Ayton, Timelord

Brogdon would be gone in that scenario.

« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2023, 05:17:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Pipe dream trade #1 - Ayton, Shamet, Payne for Horford, Brogdon, Kornet, future pick.

Pipe dream #2 is Brown, Pritchard for #3 pick, Simons with Watford and Jabari Walker as filler.

Ayton. ROB. Watford
Tatum
White  Shamet Hauser
Simons Payne
Smart. Scoot

Pick between bring back Grant Williams or Galinari as backup 4.

I am more partial to just doing the first trade and not the second one. Keep JB.

G: Smart, Brogdon, Payne
G: D White, (Brogdon)

The athleticism and speed of that starting frontcourt would be a sight to see. Or even dropping one of the combo guards and switching the Jays back to wing positions and acquiring a new PF to start alongside them; just imagine how physically imposing that group would be.

One thing I hadn't thought of until now with the Ayton trade proposals is just how bad of a passing combination Ayton & JB would be together in the same team. I wonder if they would need to move on from the combo guards and get a real ball-hander at guard. A true dribble drive threat. Someone who can get into the middle of thee paint.
On the last point, I do think you need to add some dribble penetration and passing to that group.

Say we do the first trade. Then, following that:

Brown & Smart for Garland, Osman, Okoro & Merrill.

G: Garland / Payne / Pritchard
G: White / Okoro / Merrill
F: Osman / Hauser
F: Tatum / Gallinari
C: Ayton / Timelord / Muscala

Would be relying a lot on Payne and Gallinari for bench scoring. Starting lineup would be really fun though.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2023, 05:19:56 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
"one. Keep JB."

G: Smart, Payne
G: D White, Shamet

Brogdon would be gone in that scenario.

Ah sorry, yes. My mistake.

« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2023, 05:25:36 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Pipe dream trade #1 - Ayton, Shamet, Payne for Horford, Brogdon, Kornet, future pick.

Pipe dream #2 is Brown, Pritchard for #3 pick, Simons with Watford and Jabari Walker as filler.

Ayton. ROB. Watford
Tatum
White  Shamet Hauser
Simons Payne
Smart. Scoot

I am more partial to just doing the first trade and not the second one. Keep JB.

The athleticism and speed of that starting frontcourt would be a sight to see. Or even dropping one of the combo guards and switching the Jays back to wing positions and acquiring a new PF to start alongside them; just imagine how physically imposing that group would be.

One thing I hadn't thought of until now with the Ayton trade proposals is just how bad of a passing combination Ayton & JB would be together in the same team. I wonder if they would need to move on from the combo guards and get a real ball-hander at guard. A true dribble drive threat. Someone who can get into the middle of thee paint.
On the last point, I do think you need to add some dribble penetration and passing to that group.

Would be relying a lot on Payne and Gallinari for bench scoring. Starting lineup would be really fun though.

I wonder if they should keep G Will in that scenario. Start him at PF and slide Tatum back to SF.

G: Garland, Payne
G: White, Hauser
F: Tatum, Osman, Okoro
F: G Williams, Gallinari
C: Ayton, Timelord, Muscala

Gives the team a bit more physical heft.

I worry some about Osman and Okoro playing such big roles and being found wanting for Cleveland in those same roles last season. That SF position is CLE's biggest weakness and biggest area in need of improvement. Hence, why I'd like to see them in smaller roles here.

Edit: There is something fun about Hauser starting at SF next to Tatum at PF. A weaker defensive option than Osman or Okoro but Hauser's shooting would be lethal as a floor spreader next to Garland, Tatum & Ayton.

« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2023, 05:28:35 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Ayton. ROB. Watford
Tatum
White  Shamet Hauser
Simons Payne
Smart. Scoot

I wonder if they should keep G Will in that scenario. Start him at PF and slide Tatum back to SF.

G: Garland, Payne
G: White, Hauser
F: Tatum, Osman, Okoro
F: G Williams, Gallinari
C: Ayton, Timelord, Muscala

Gives the team a bit more physical heft.

I worry some about Osman and Okoro playing such big roles and being found wanting for Cleveland in those same roles last season. That SF position is CLE's biggest weakness and biggest area in need of improvement. Hence, why I'd like to see them in smaller roles here.

Edit: There is something fun about Hauser starting at SF next to Tatum at PF. A weaker defensive option than Osman or Okoro but Hauser's shooting would be lethal as a floor spreader next to Garland, Tatum & Ayton.
I would be all for giving Hauser a shot at starting. He stepped up when he played bigger minutes this season, and he isn't as weak on defence as one might assume. His deadly shooting would open up a lot.

I would probably keep Grant in the scenario too, just for flexibility. Allows small lineups with Gallo at the 5, or big lineups with Grant next to Tatum and Ayton.

« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2023, 11:08:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Grant as a starter has not worked that well for us.  Maz has soured on him.   he is not a good rebounder by any means, even if you used the generous per 36 he only would get 6 rpg.

If they are going to trade for Brown, and I am against the move,  I would deal with ATL  that sends him home.

I would ask for:

Brown for

Onyeka Okongwu to be a back up big who can play 4 or 5, that is for Rob/Al insurance and big man depth
Saddiq Bey a solid veteran for depth, you could start him or Hauser
Dejounte Murray  to replace Brown.  I doubt he would be a Supermax so we save mone

This fills a lot of holes for us but we have a problem at SF

I also like Brooklyn as an option too

Brown for

Mikhal Bridges  and  you use him at PF and SG  Three years of cost control
Nicolas Claxton  for Big man insurance

« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2023, 11:22:24 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I have been seeing all the trade ideas and there are only a few that too me have some viability.  ATL (although I don't want Trae Young back, rather have Murray and other pieces), TOR (starting with Siakam) and MIN (for Towns).  Now the idea of a CLE trade is close to viable but I don't quite see it.

I think Garland would be the main starting piece coming back for Brown and that makes sense.  Brown could play SF for them.  He would be a perfect fit.  Mitchell is the scoring guard, and they need to find a complementary PG or Combo guard.  Garland would be an OK fit on Boston, and he is a good player on a fair contract, but we need to get more back if we give up Brown.  I don't see how the rest of the trade would work.  I don't have much interest in Okoro and Osman and so on.  I don't think they would give up one of their better players (like Jarrett Allen) for Smart.  And I would still want more, even if they would.

« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2023, 11:28:35 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Grant as a starter has not worked that well for us.  Maz has soured on him.   he is not a good rebounder by any means, even if you used the generous per 36 he only would get 6 rpg.

If they are going to trade for Brown, and I am against the move,  I would deal with ATL  that sends him home.

I would ask for:

Brown for

Onyeka Okongwu to be a back up big who can play 4 or 5, that is for Rob/Al insurance and big man depth
Dejounte Murray  to replace Brown.  I doubt he would be a Supermax so we save money

Brown for

I posted almost this exact trade in another thread.  Only difference is I send out Muscala too to balance roster spots and money a little better.  We would have to follow that up with a trade of one or more of Smart, White, Brogdon, otherwise we end up with even more combo guards, but that is OK.  We could get back a pretty good PF or other useful player likely.

« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2023, 11:33:31 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I would ask for:

Brown for

Dejounte Murray  to replace Brown.  I doubt he would be a Supermax so we save mone

Brown for

I doubt ATL gives those 3 for Brown.  I'd take it if they would, although not really sure about Murray fit here.

« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2023, 11:47:23 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Ayton. ROB. Watford
Tatum
White  Shamet Hauser
Simons Payne
Smart. Scoot

The Cavs wouldn't give up Garland, a guy who they have on a five year 25% max extension, for Brown, a guy who has 1 year left on his deal and would be a 30% max guy. Doesn't make sense for them to give up 5 years of security for a flight risk. Their roster is already going to be very expensive as is.

« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2023, 06:37:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Ayton. ROB. Watford
Tatum
White  Shamet Hauser
Simons Payne
Smart. Scoot

The Cavs wouldn't give up Garland, a guy who they have on a five year 25% max extension, for Brown, a guy who has 1 year left on his deal and would be a 30% max guy. Doesn't make sense for them to give up 5 years of security for a flight risk. Their roster is already going to be very expensive as is.
They might because he is a somewhat better player than Garland. They also have terrible wing play. It balances them out a bit more whilst giving them a super strong defensive identity.

Going into next season with a core of the below (noting that Brown and Mitchell are best pals) would be a very solid build.

Smart / Rubio
Mitchell / LeVert
Brown / Stevens
Mobley / Wade
Allen / Mobley