Author Topic: Theoretical summer trade question  (Read 4400 times)

Re: Theoretical summer trade question
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2023, 01:17:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I love the three combo guards makeup of this team. It is one of my favourite aspects of the squad. The ball security (avoiding & minimizing turnovers) they provide. The added ball-handling and dribble penetration. The passing. All big PG/SGs who provide versatile defense in being able to switch onto other players. Amazing.

They provide the teamwork that is so essential to the functioning of this team. They tie everything together and take this from a good team to an elite team.

I would loathe to breakup this trio. It would take one heck of an offer to convince me to do it.

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2023, 01:54:33 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
I love the three combo guards makeup of this team. It is one of my favourite aspects of the squad. The ball security (avoiding & minimizing turnovers) they provide. The added ball-handling and dribble penetration. The passing. All big PG/SGs who provide versatile defense in being able to switch onto other players. Amazing.

They provide the teamwork that is so essential to the functioning of this team. They tie everything together and take this from a good team to an elite team.

I would loathe to breakup this trio. It would take one heck of an offer to convince me to do it.

Couldn't agree more. If we make a "big" trade acquisition, the goal should be to do it without touching our top 7 . If you can get a good player with some variation of a Grant Williams S&T, Pritchard, and picks, that's great. But I see no reason to mess with our top 7.

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2023, 03:01:39 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

Couldn't agree more. If we make a "big" trade acquisition, the goal should be to do it without touching our top 7 . If you can get a good player with some variation of a Grant Williams S&T, Pritchard, and picks, that's great. But I see no reason to mess with our top 7.

We really have 4 fairly capable combo guards if you include Pritchard.  I know he is a tier down from Smart, White, or Brogdon, but he is still a capable NBA player.  If they do want to trade Smart or White, they probably would not trade Pritchard too.  And his grievance would be solved as he would then bump up the depth chart and get more chance to play.

We have spare capacity at the combo guard position and we are undermanned and aging at PF/C.  Trading some of our combo guard talent for a big could be a productive trade.  But that big would have to be a starting level, say 4th man type of player, in order to make it worth trading away someone like Smart or White.

I don't see a trade out there but if something like Smart or White for Markkanen (just for example) was available, that could be a good trade, even though we would be giving up a valuable player.  I was talking up Markkanen when he was stuck in CLE, now his value is probably too high to be available for what we can offer.

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2023, 03:08:08 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
In all likelihood we will get one or maybe two 2nd round picks for PP. 

I doubt we would ever trade Smart in the next 2-3 years.

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2023, 03:15:03 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

Just trading PP for a couple of seconds doesn't seem like such a good deal. Maybe with a bad team that will continue to be bad and the seconds are in the 30s but second round picks mostly don't work out.

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2023, 03:15:49 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

I’m not good at projecting the value of players so I’ll assume you are probably right. But, Payton is great value IMO for a late first.  Any team should be happy for a 20-something selection turn out to be Payton who I see as a top back-up or starter.

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2023, 03:22:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
I wonder if Rudy Gobert would be available. Maybe Smart, Robert Williams, and a first.

I like Marcus, but sometimes his ego gets in the way, with him believing he is part of a big 3. We already have White and Brogdon at the same position.

As for Williams, the guy is simply unreliable as far as being on the court. The only saving grace is the fact that a 36 year old Al Horford is still a reliable player. At some point, that ship will sail.

Have you seen Gorbert this year or any year in the playoffs?

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2023, 03:28:23 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I wonder if Rudy Gobert would be available. Maybe Smart, Robert Williams, and a first.

I like Marcus, but sometimes his ego gets in the way, with him believing he is part of a big 3. We already have White and Brogdon at the same position.

As for Williams, the guy is simply unreliable as far as being on the court. The only saving grace is the fact that a 36 year old Al Horford is still a reliable player. At some point, that ship will sail.

Have you seen Gorbert this year or any year in the playoffs?

No thanks on Gobert.  To many head case warning flags.  Too big a contract.  But I would be happy to take Towns off their hands.

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2023, 02:06:18 AM »

Offline stes

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
I hope for another M.Brogdon type of deal, but this time with Gallinari’s salary as a main financial component. I just don’t see a right target. Ideally it would be a big that can stretch the floor, defend the paint and thus play alongside either Rob or Grant, if he stays. If you combine Gallo, Muskala, Kornet and Protchard’s salaries, you get into $15M range. I just don’t see an obvious target, but Brogdon wasn’t an obvious target, as well. I don’t think Kelly Olynyk moves a needle, though he kind of fits the bill.
For a swingman position, I think we should look for a Blake Gruffin type of signing. A vet that can step up to a bigger role, when there’s an injury, but is otherwise content with a bench role. I like Joe Inles, but he was kind of terrible in the playoffs.
I know this championship run isn’t finished yet and I hope for the best, but it is always fun to speculate.

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2023, 02:09:19 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
We need a big, that's fosho. Horford is on his last legs and Timelord, well, he isn't durable for 82 games.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2023, 08:20:30 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Not sure if they want to trade Smart but some combo of Gallinari/Timelord/Pritchard could yield a decent big like Turner etc. Cs need a starting caliber big man in the worst way. Horford is ancient and you just can’t rely on Timelord.

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2023, 09:36:37 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Marcus Smart is set to make $18,583,713 next season and Payton Pritchard set to make $4,037,278 (both per Spotrac):  totaling $22,620,991

Brad will probably grant Payton's wish this summer and trade him, but what if he was willing to add Marcus to the trade?

Who would you target if you could take back $22.6 million in salary?

We'd actually be able to take back up to $28,376,238, as we can "match" up to 125% + $100k on an incoming contract.

I don't know who I'd want, though.  Julius Randle? ;)

Could've had Randle instead of Marcus, and then maybe been able to keep Rozier.  I hated the Marcus pick!!!  I still do!!!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2023, 10:56:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
As usual, there is a word missing between summer and trade that rhymes with uncharacteristic....

NBA live's affect on fan expectations unrealistic trades.

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2023, 11:01:39 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Marcus Smart is set to make $18,583,713 next season and Payton Pritchard set to make $4,037,278 (both per Spotrac):  totaling $22,620,991

Brad will probably grant Payton's wish this summer and trade him, but what if he was willing to add Marcus to the trade?

Who would you target if you could take back $22.6 million in salary?

We'd actually be able to take back up to $28,376,238, as we can "match" up to 125% + $100k on an incoming contract.

I don't know who I'd want, though.  Julius Randle? ;)

Could've had Randle instead of Marcus, and then maybe been able to keep Rozier.  I hated the Marcus pick!!!  I still do!!!

I did not hate the pick but I did have us taking Randle. I always resented Jared Sullinger for possibly being the reason that that we did not take Randle but that being said, I was overall very happy that we took Smart since he was the clear BPA and my second choice after Julius.

It's worth mentioning that Randle was somewhat trash in his early years and Smart has stuck on the Celtics for going on a decade now. No guarantee Randle would have succeeded here.

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2023, 04:41:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
if the celtics priority is a front line player who can shoot and score, maybe it is best to wait and see how gallinari's health is next season. no need to trade anyone in that case.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva