Author Topic: NFL 2023 Offseason Thread  (Read 44717 times)

Re: NFL 2023 Offseason Thread
« Reply #315 on: May 02, 2023, 03:09:16 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I thought this was a weird take, but does anybody agree?

“Something just hit me—there’s gonna be some rule changes in the NFL,” said Foxworth. “Who’s the best quarterback in football? Patrick Mahomes? Who’s the two highest-paid players in all the league? Lamar Jackson and Jalen Hurts. Who are the first three quarterbacks drafted in this draft? Black dudes. … Oh, we got a rule change coming down the pike.”

He continued, “So, you might be listening to this and thinking that Dominique is arguing that the NFL is just flat out ‘I hate Black people racist.’ No, it’s a different type of racism. It’s because they think that you are a ‘I hate Black people’ type of racist. They know that the stars of this entertainment property are the quarterbacks. That is who the people who are three degrees removed from you who’s a superfan they don’t know nobody but four or five quarterbacks’ names. And you know what they believe? The same way the NBA is probably concerned about all these international players, they know that the stars that sell consistently, that they have known to sell consistently are tall White dudes.”

I haven't heard anybody in person, in media, or on social media that wants to see fewer black QBs.  I'm a Bears fan, and Justin Fields is hailed as a potential savior.  Mahomes is probably the most popular QB in football. 

Is this an imaginary concern?

This is hot take click bait.  I don't believe that there is any owner or GM that would pick a tall white dude over an African American, if the African American was a better player.  I don't doubt there are some racial biases at play that may affect their decisions but whatever choices they make, in their mind, it is for the best player for the team.

Now as far as "what sells" (which seems to be a part of his point but hard to tell as it is so convoluted), it may be true that a tall white QB would sell more tee shirts, I don't know.  But I don't believe that any team is going to take a lesser QB who might sell more tee shirts over a better QB.

I looked it up.  Top-10 jersey sales:

1.  Josh Allen
2. Micah Parsons
3.  Patrick Mahomes
4. Joe Burrow
5.  CeeDee Lamb
6. Dak Prescott
7. Justin Jefferson
8. Jalen Hurts
9. Justin Fields
10.  Tom Brady

The Cowboys sell a lot of jerseys.  Wow.

I suppose somebody could argue that Allen isn't deserving of being #1 in jersey sales, but he's a top-five QB whose star faded a bit after getting hurt.  Four black QBs, three white QBs, and all are quite marketable.

I wasn't implying that I agree with his point, I was just responding to what he said.  Your research shows that his perception is not accurate.  In fact, what your research shows is that what team you are on is more of a factor than race.

« Reply #316 on: May 02, 2023, 06:59:45 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I thought this was a weird take, but does anybody agree?

“Something just hit me—there’s gonna be some rule changes in the NFL,” said Foxworth. “Who’s the best quarterback in football? Patrick Mahomes? Who’s the two highest-paid players in all the league? Lamar Jackson and Jalen Hurts. Who are the first three quarterbacks drafted in this draft? Black dudes. … Oh, we got a rule change coming down the pike.”

He continued, “So, you might be listening to this and thinking that Dominique is arguing that the NFL is just flat out ‘I hate Black people racist.’ No, it’s a different type of racism. It’s because they think that you are a ‘I hate Black people’ type of racist. They know that the stars of this entertainment property are the quarterbacks. That is who the people who are three degrees removed from you who’s a superfan they don’t know nobody but four or five quarterbacks’ names. And you know what they believe? The same way the NBA is probably concerned about all these international players, they know that the stars that sell consistently, that they have known to sell consistently are tall White dudes.”

I haven't heard anybody in person, in media, or on social media that wants to see fewer black QBs.  I'm a Bears fan, and Justin Fields is hailed as a potential savior.  Mahomes is probably the most popular QB in football. 

Is this an imaginary concern?

This is hot take click bait.  I don't believe that there is any owner or GM that would pick a tall white dude over an African American, if the African American was a better player.  I don't doubt there are some racial biases at play that may affect their decisions but whatever choices they make, in their mind, it is for the best player for the team.

Now as far as "what sells" (which seems to be a part of his point but hard to tell as it is so convoluted), it may be true that a tall white QB would sell more tee shirts, I don't know.  But I don't believe that any team is going to take a lesser QB who might sell more tee shirts over a better QB.

I looked it up.  Top-10 jersey sales:

1.  Josh Allen
2. Micah Parsons
3.  Patrick Mahomes
4. Joe Burrow
5.  CeeDee Lamb
6. Dak Prescott
7. Justin Jefferson
8. Jalen Hurts
9. Justin Fields
10.  Tom Brady

The Cowboys sell a lot of jerseys.  Wow.

I suppose somebody could argue that Allen isn't deserving of being #1 in jersey sales, but he's a top-five QB whose star faded a bit after getting hurt.  Four black QBs, three white QBs, and all are quite marketable.

I wasn't implying that I agree with his point, I was just responding to what he said.  Your research shows that his perception is not accurate.  In fact, what your research shows is that what team you are on is more of a factor than race.
Where's the evidence that race plays anything but a negligible factor in how white folks spend their money on sports gear?  If white folks did, there would be a lot, lot less money in the NBA. 
Team, position played, on-field performance, personality/charisma are the factors that matter.  On the other hand, I'm guessing that if you researched black fans spending on sports gear, you'd see race was much more of a factor. 

« Reply #317 on: May 02, 2023, 07:45:16 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Ruggs to accept a 3-to-10-year sentence in DUI manslaughter plea deal.  Very sad tragedy from a very stupid decision. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36982403/ex-raiders-wr-henry-ruggs-iii-plead-guilty-fatal-dui-case

« Reply #318 on: May 08, 2023, 10:35:49 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
May 11th is when the NFL 2023 Schedule will be released. There will be three Monday night doubleheaders, teams playing two TNF games, a Black Friday game, and I hear the Patriots are gonna play the Saints in Germany.

But, here's what I predict-

Opening night- Bills @ Chiefs (Superbowl champs, and why not put a thriller showdown between Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes)
Week 1 SNF - Eagles @ Cowboys (because it's America's team, gotta have the Cowboys on)
Thanksgiving Night - Eagles @ Chiefs (If NFL really wants money and ratings, make this the Superbowl rematch game)
Black Friday - Bills @ Bengals (marquee matchup, the Demar Hamlin storyline, playoff rematch etc)
Christmas Monday - Lions/Vikings, Chiefs/Jets (Mahomes vs Rodgers), Cowboys/Niners

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #319 on: May 13, 2023, 11:16:51 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
Pats Schedule Prediction:

PHI - L
MIA - W
@NYJ - W
@DAL - L
NO - W
@LAV - W
BUF - L
@MIA - L
WAS - W
IND (in Germany) - W

Bye

@NYG - W
LAC - W
@PIT - L
KC - L
@DEN - W
@BUF - W
NYJ - L

I predict 10-7. It's probably wishful thinking but I mean, we have to beat BUF at some point, right? I think we will once this season. Also I know NYJ is loaded and with Rodgers, but then again I do think there'll be a period of "getting adjusted" so we might catch NYJ off guard a little in Week 3 and I think we steal that game. Most predict a loss but I predict a win there.

They need to take advantage of that middle-of-the-season stretch (from Washington through Pittsburgh). LAC and NYG won't be easy, but I'm not that convinced about Daniel Jones, and for what it's worth we have seemed to own LAC. Herbert hasn't torched us and we can beat them other ways
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #320 on: May 26, 2023, 01:09:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
DeAndre Hopkins is now a free agent after being released by the Cardinals.

Where's he go?  Buffalo?  New England?  KC?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #321 on: May 26, 2023, 01:14:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Baltimore
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #322 on: May 26, 2023, 01:25:55 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
$22M dead cap hit. 

Yikes.   Credit to the 31 other teams who didn't blink.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #323 on: May 26, 2023, 01:39:31 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Hopkins to KC is my guess
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #324 on: May 26, 2023, 03:22:23 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Hopkins to KC is my guess

Be tough for KC to swing, they're right up against the cap.

My pick is the JETS.  Arod, Wilson/Hardman/Lazard, Hall/Carter, Conklin and a top five D.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #325 on: May 26, 2023, 06:47:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
My gut feeling is he goes either Baltimore or Buffalo

« Reply #326 on: May 27, 2023, 02:26:04 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Jon Gruden picked up by Saints to run offense.

Derek Carr also with the Saints. A reunion?

« Reply #327 on: June 02, 2023, 10:43:21 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Adding Hopkins to the Patriots would make our offense look a lot more potent.

Hopkins-JuJu-Bourne-Parker-Thornton with Henry-Gesecki the TEs, and Stevenson-Montgomery-Robinson-(Strong or Harris) as the RBs? Yes please.

If the O-Line is simply "solid" our offense can make noise. Not like BUF/KC but definitely enough to compete against better teams.

« Reply #328 on: June 02, 2023, 10:50:20 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White

Hopkins-JuJu-Bourne-Parker-Thornton with Henry-Gesecki the TEs, and Stevenson-Montgomery-Robinson-(Strong or Harris) as the RBs? Yes please.

If the O-Line is simply "solid" our offense can make noise. Not like BUF/KC but definitely enough to compete against better teams.

Prob as good as the Chargers. Now the question is is Mac Jones good enough to bring them to the playoffs after that dud season last year

« Reply #329 on: June 02, 2023, 10:53:57 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Prob as good as the Chargers. Now the question is is Mac Jones good enough to bring them to the playoffs after that dud season last year

Mac will be fine. I'm not saying he's Allen/Mahomes/Burrow but this guy and the entire offense last year was screwed over by Patricia and Judge. Having Bill O'Brien, Klemm and an improved O-Line will do wonders. He showed real flashes in 2021. I don't think he regressed Year 2 because he just sucks. We'll see but I'm confident in him. Some of the reporters have also already said that practices right now look much more smoother and better than last year. Go figure!

I hate Joe Judge, but he is a good Special Teams coach and it sounds like he'll be with that unit this season, which is fine by me. Special Teams also cost us a few games and was brutal last year.