Author Topic: NFL 2023 Offseason Thread  (Read 46217 times)

Re: NFL 2023 Offseason Thread
« Reply #300 on: April 24, 2023, 05:15:18 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Jets will probably sweep NE now taht they have Rodgers.

But the AFC is so loaded that he won't be sniffing a Superbowl anytime soon. He should've stayed NFC...maybe go to the 49ers or something lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #301 on: April 25, 2023, 10:49:52 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In the end, the two becomes a one next year if Rodgers takes only 65 percent of the snaps this season. That’s not even two thirds of the full campaign. It’s only 11.05 games. He can miss nearly six games, and the Jets will still owe a first-round pick in 2024.

Yikes.  Two #2s and a 1st round pick swap was bad enough.  But a #1, #2 and 1st round pick swap for a 40 year old that very likely won't win them a title?  That's too much.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #302 on: April 25, 2023, 11:03:13 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
In the end, the two becomes a one next year if Rodgers takes only 65 percent of the snaps this season. That’s not even two thirds of the full campaign. It’s only 11.05 games. He can miss nearly six games, and the Jets will still owe a first-round pick in 2024.

Yikes.  Two #2s and a 1st round pick swap was bad enough.  But a #1, #2 and 1st round pick swap for a 40 year old that very likely won't win them a title?  That's too much.

Rodgers is turning 40 in December, So the Jets have to figure it’s 2-3 year window. Won the MVP award 2 out of the last 3 seasons, so he at least gives them a chance to compete in the postseason. It’s a gamble, will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #303 on: April 25, 2023, 11:15:03 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

It's New York.  Cutthroat market.  Desperation is a stinky cologne and the Jets have been borderline irrelevant since Super Bowl III so they needed to do something.

It's almost certain to backfire on them.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #304 on: April 25, 2023, 11:19:29 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
The Jets really haven't had much success in the past decade, and I'm pretty sure they now hold the record for longest postseason drought in the major sports (now that Sacramento Kings made it). So I don't blame them for taking the slight gamble.

To me, the Jets are literally the team you could say is truly a "QB away". Wilson was atrocious, and Mike White did his best but he's not elite either. They have the weapons, the coaching, and a young/elite defense. Adding Rodgers to the fold makes them a legit contender. In fact, I'd say they are probably close to that CIN/KC/BUF level already in the AFC.

Maybe Rodgers doesn't work out, but unless the Jets had a real shot at Lamar I don't see what other option there was either. Just roll with Zach Wilson? Lol. I think the Jets are being nice about it, but I think the whole team hates him and deep down they'd love to just dump him somewhere else.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #305 on: April 25, 2023, 12:32:12 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
The Jets really haven't had much success in the past decade, and I'm pretty sure they now hold the record for longest postseason drought in the major sports (now that Sacramento Kings made it). So I don't blame them for taking the slight gamble.

To me, the Jets are literally the team you could say is truly a "QB away". Wilson was atrocious, and Mike White did his best but he's not elite either. They have the weapons, the coaching, and a young/elite defense. Adding Rodgers to the fold makes them a legit contender. In fact, I'd say they are probably close to that CIN/KC/BUF level already in the AFC.

Maybe Rodgers doesn't work out, but unless the Jets had a real shot at Lamar I don't see what other option there was either. Just roll with Zach Wilson? Lol. I think the Jets are being nice about it, but I think the whole team hates him and deep down they'd love to just dump him somewhere else.
How much does Rodgers have left in the tank? I  I do think the jets are highly talented. But the quarterback still needs to reach a certain level of play to get them over the hump. Brett farve almost did it in Minnesota. Brady did it in Tampa Bay. But then Favre was terrible in New York, and Brady was terrible in his last year in Tampa.

I didn't follow the packers too closely last year.  But if I had to guess I'd say he's close to Minny Favre/first year Tampa Brady than Jets Favre/last year Brady.

And Peyton managed to squeak out a title in Denver just by being a game manager.  I don't think it's impossible we could see the same here.  That defense alone is strong enough to take them far with competent quarterback play.

« Reply #306 on: April 27, 2023, 02:50:42 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
So about that Aaron Rodgers to the Jets...is Zach Wilson going to make Aaron Rodgers' life hell as a QB? Wonder what the kid has to say now  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #307 on: May 02, 2023, 12:25:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I thought this was a weird take, but does anybody agree?

“Something just hit me—there’s gonna be some rule changes in the NFL,” said Foxworth. “Who’s the best quarterback in football? Patrick Mahomes? Who’s the two highest-paid players in all the league? Lamar Jackson and Jalen Hurts. Who are the first three quarterbacks drafted in this draft? Black dudes. … Oh, we got a rule change coming down the pike.”

He continued, “So, you might be listening to this and thinking that Dominique is arguing that the NFL is just flat out ‘I hate Black people racist.’ No, it’s a different type of racism. It’s because they think that you are a ‘I hate Black people’ type of racist. They know that the stars of this entertainment property are the quarterbacks. That is who the people who are three degrees removed from you who’s a superfan they don’t know nobody but four or five quarterbacks’ names. And you know what they believe? The same way the NBA is probably concerned about all these international players, they know that the stars that sell consistently, that they have known to sell consistently are tall White dudes.”

I haven't heard anybody in person, in media, or on social media that wants to see fewer black QBs.  I'm a Bears fan, and Justin Fields is hailed as a potential savior.  Mahomes is probably the most popular QB in football. 

Is this an imaginary concern?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #308 on: May 02, 2023, 12:44:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

“Something just hit me—there’s gonna be some rule changes in the NFL,” said Foxworth. “Who’s the best quarterback in football? Patrick Mahomes? Who’s the two highest-paid players in all the league? Lamar Jackson and Jalen Hurts. Who are the first three quarterbacks drafted in this draft? Black dudes. … Oh, we got a rule change coming down the pike.”

He continued, “So, you might be listening to this and thinking that Dominique is arguing that the NFL is just flat out ‘I hate Black people racist.’ No, it’s a different type of racism. It’s because they think that you are a ‘I hate Black people’ type of racist. They know that the stars of this entertainment property are the quarterbacks. That is who the people who are three degrees removed from you who’s a superfan they don’t know nobody but four or five quarterbacks’ names. And you know what they believe? The same way the NBA is probably concerned about all these international players, they know that the stars that sell consistently, that they have known to sell consistently are tall White dudes.”

I haven't heard anybody in person, in media, or on social media that wants to see fewer black QBs.  I'm a Bears fan, and Justin Fields is hailed as a potential savior.  Mahomes is probably the most popular QB in football. 

This seems pretty weird. While it is true some of the faces of the NFL are white players there have been immensely popular black players that were the most popular in the time they played like Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Lawrence Taylor, Michael Vick, Emmit Smith etc. Also the ranking of the quarterbacks by their contracts is pretty random. I think most people would have Josh Allen or Herbert right up there with Lamar Jackson or Jaylen Hurts (although maholmes is clearly in a tier by himself).

« Reply #309 on: May 02, 2023, 01:27:06 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

This is hot take click bait.  I don't believe that there is any owner or GM that would pick a tall white dude over an African American, if the African American was a better player.  I don't doubt there are some racial biases at play that may affect their decisions but whatever choices they make, in their mind, it is for the best player for the team.

Now as far as "what sells" (which seems to be a part of his point but hard to tell as it is so convoluted), it may be true that a tall white QB would sell more tee shirts, I don't know.  But I don't believe that any team is going to take a lesser QB who might sell more tee shirts over a better QB.

« Reply #310 on: May 02, 2023, 01:36:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

This is hot take click bait.  I don't believe that there is any owner or GM that would pick a tall white dude over an African American, if the African American was a better player.  I don't doubt there are some racial biases at play that may affect their decisions but whatever choices they make, in their mind, it is for the best player for the team.

Now as far as "what sells" (which seems to be a part of his point but hard to tell as it is so convoluted), it may be true that a tall white QB would sell more tee shirts, I don't know.  But I don't believe that any team is going to take a lesser QB who might sell more tee shirts over a better QB.

I looked it up.  Top-10 jersey sales:

1.  Josh Allen
2. Micah Parsons
3.  Patrick Mahomes
4. Joe Burrow
5.  CeeDee Lamb
6. Dak Prescott
7. Justin Jefferson
8. Jalen Hurts
9. Justin Fields
10.  Tom Brady

The Cowboys sell a lot of jerseys.  Wow.

I suppose somebody could argue that Allen isn't deserving of being #1 in jersey sales, but he's a top-five QB whose star faded a bit after getting hurt.  Four black QBs, three white QBs, and all are quite marketable.

« Reply #311 on: May 02, 2023, 01:46:02 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

This seems pretty weird. While it is true some of the faces of the NFL are white players there have been immensely popular black players that were the most popular in the time they played like Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Lawrence Taylor, Michael Vick, Emmit Smith etc. Also the ranking of the quarterbacks by their contracts is pretty random. I think most people would have Josh Allen or Herbert right up there with Lamar Jackson or Jaylen Hurts (although maholmes is clearly in a tier by himself).

There are people on this forum who  believe all suggestions of racism are overblown,  and others who think every suggestion of underlying racism is true and legitimate.  The fact that some Black players are well paid and adored by fans is impossible to deny.  Does that mean race is never a factor in influencing a person’s thoughts and actions? Or that there could be subtle factors that overall makes a difference broadly in how people of color are treated?  I believe (generally) race is a factor (among many) that influences thoughts about people - especially when we don’t have other information that helps us know more about who a person is (character). How that plays out over time in a large net is worth being open to learning about IMO.

I do believe racial bias is different (and far more common) than racism - but, unlike overt racism, it’s often hard to nail down with precision what impact it has (had; still has).

« Reply #312 on: May 02, 2023, 02:08:28 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I really don't understand what he's saying.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #313 on: May 02, 2023, 02:12:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

There are people on this forum who  believe all suggestions of racism are overblown,  and others who think every suggestion of underlying racism is true and legitimate.  The fact that some Black players are well paid and adored by fans is impossible to deny.  Does that mean race is never a factor in influencing a person’s thoughts and actions? Or that there could be subtle factors that overall makes a difference broadly in how people of color are treated?  I believe (generally) race is a factor (among many) that influences thoughts about people - especially when we don’t have other information that helps us know more about who a person is (character). How that plays out over time in a large net is worth being open to learning about IMO.

I do believe racial bias is different (and far more common) than racism - but, unlike overt racism, it’s often hard to nail down with precision what impact it has (had; still has).

I agree with most of what you said.  It just seems like a weird take that the NFL would change the rules to disadvantage black QBs.  (I suppose that means rules that devalue running QBs?  Even that is grounded in stereotyping, though.  Three of the top six rushing QBs were white, although nobody was in the same stratosphere as Justin Fields.)

« Reply #314 on: May 02, 2023, 02:21:13 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sounds like he's trying to stir up a controversy in an area where I don't really think there is any controversy.

Sounds like a stupid hot take to me.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team