Author Topic: NFL 2023 Offseason Thread  (Read 42923 times)

Re: NFL 2023 Offseason Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2023, 05:06:24 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
As a Bears fan, I’d rather have Fields and the pick.  No interest in Lamar.

I think Lamar is an incredible athlete, but an overrated QB. I’d rather have fields and the pick as well.
Except he wins a lot (at least in regular season) and puts up solid numbers without a #1 WR (though a top 3 TE in the sport).  I think the bigger concern is the 40% of missed games over the last 2 seasons.  That is part of the reason I'd have a hard time paying 250 million with half (or so) guaranteed, let alone guaranteeing the whole thing.  And it appears the NFL owners may feel the same way.  He isn't Mahomes.

Does he put up solid numbers, though? Especially when it comes to passing the ball. 17TD’s last year, only 16 the year before. Lamar is a run first QB that isn’t very accurate throwing the ball. Plus, he’s only been playing 12 games a season the last two years.  Hard to blame Baltimore for not wanting to give him a ton of guaranteed money.

Again, who is he throwing to?   It matters.   Can the receivers create separation in the red zone?   Can the receivers make a play in the open field?   

The missed games is the negative.   

I think the real hang-up isn't the money, it is the all guaranteed money.  If Watson can get that, why shouldn't Jackson.   (you know that is what he is thinking)

Andrews and Marquise Brown were pretty solid options. Does it matter who the WR’s are if he can’t hit them with accurate passes? People were saying that about Cam Newton in NE. “He doesn’t have any help. That’s why he’s not passing the ball well.” Won’t matter if prime Randy Moss is out there if the QB is tossing the ball 5 feet over his head or throwing it into the ground.
He is pretty accurate.  Not Burrow accurate, but is basically as accurate as Josh Allen or Tom Brady (for basically his entire career in NE).  In fact, if you look at Brady's first 6 seasons, he was 63.9, 62.1, 60.2, 60.8, 63, 61.8.  He had a TD% between 4.4 and 4.9 except one outlier at 5.9, and his INT% was between 2.3 and 3.0.  In other words, Lamar is more accurate, throws a higher percentage of TD's and a lesser percentage of INT's, than Brady did his first 6 seasons when he was winning 3 Super Bowls, but generally playing on a conservative offense with no real play makers.  2007 comes and Randy Moss strolls into town and all of a sudden Brady completes 68.9% of his passes, with a TD% of 8.7, an INT% of 1.4, and throws as many TD's in that one season as the prior 2 seasons combined.  Amazing what a great WR can do for a QB.

Last year Lamar was 26th in the NFL for completion percentage. The year before he was 21. He’s not a very accurate passer.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2023, 10:05:41 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
As a Bears fan, I’d rather have Fields and the pick.  No interest in Lamar.

I think Lamar is an incredible athlete, but an overrated QB. I’d rather have fields and the pick as well.

This is nuts. Lamar is awesome. Besides Andrews, the Ravens= the Pats with a kicker and no D. Translation- they stink without Lamar.

Most teams would be psyched to have this QB upgrade. He makes a bad team relevant. I’m not sure CHI or HOU qualify, as they need an improvements at basically every position. Basically 24 teams would benefit from Lamar coming to town.

I hope people continue to underestimate this guy. I can’t wait to see the things he will do.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 10:24:31 PM by MarcusSmartFanClub »

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2023, 03:28:28 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Sources: NFL is taking a fifth-round pick from the Texans and fining them $175,000 for what the league believes is a salary-cap violation and what Houston believes is an accounting error that dates back Deshaun Watson’s training during COVID.
2:24 PM · Mar 9, 2023
·
 Views

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
3m
The Texans believe it gave them no salary-cap advantage and they were simply paying $26,000 for Deshaun Watson to train at a local facility while theirs was closed during COVID.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2023, 03:41:09 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Ravens trade Safety Chuck Clark to Jets for a 2024 7th round pick. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2023, 04:08:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Sources: NFL is taking a fifth-round pick from the Texans and fining them $175,000 for what the league believes is a salary-cap violation and what Houston believes is an accounting error that dates back Deshaun Watson’s training during COVID.
·
 Views

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
3m
The Texans believe it gave them no salary-cap advantage and they were simply paying $26,000 for Deshaun Watson to train at a local facility while theirs was closed during COVID.

If it's a 5th rounder for a $26k good faith violation, that seems steep. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2023, 04:54:11 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
 Views

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
3m

But did they report it?

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2023, 05:15:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
 Views

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
3m

But did they report it?

No idea.  But $26k in the NFL seems like chump change, whereas a 5th rounder has decent value.

It just shows how differently the leagues take CBA violations, I guess.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2023, 08:21:08 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Thursday afternoon that the two sides have worked through compensation for a trade, and the Jets have determined what they would do with Rodgers' contract.

Essentially, everything with the transaction has been agreed to. The only remaining step is Rodgers approving the deal.
This is a significant development in this situation, as it means the Jets can essentially make the trade official as soon as Rodgers (hopefully) gives the okay. Until then, however, both sides remain in a holding pattern.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2023, 03:40:28 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Rodgers will be a bust in New York
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2023, 10:14:08 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Imagine if after all this time and all the reporting, Rodgers himself is like "sorry not interested" to the Jets lol  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2023, 11:34:58 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wonder what Miami is up to.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Dolphins are converting Tyreek Hill’s $10 million roster bonus and $16 million salary into a $24.835 million bonus and an $1.165 million salary, saving the team about $18 million against their salary cap, per sources.

« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2023, 11:37:44 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Dolphins are converting Tyreek Hill’s $10 million roster bonus and $16 million salary into a $24.835 million bonus and an $1.165 million salary, saving the team about $18 million against their salary cap, per sources.
creating cap room.  teams do it all of the time, now what they are going to use it for is interesting.

« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2023, 11:42:20 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
creating cap room.  teams do it all of the time, now what they are going to use it for is interesting.

Yeah, the first part was blatantly apparent.

« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2023, 11:56:36 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I don't know much about how the cap works for the NFL. Is there a down side to converting salary into bonus money to free up cap for this year? Teams do it all the time and it seems pretty advantageous for everyone involved. Does it push the cap hit into the future?
#JKJB

« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2023, 12:04:53 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't know much about how the cap works for the NFL. Is there a down side to converting salary into bonus money to free up cap for this year? Teams do it all the time and it seems pretty advantageous for everyone involved. Does it push the cap hit into the future?

Yes.  Let's say you have a 9 million dollar amount for this year and they agree to turn it into a bonus (with an extra money to be this years base salary)

So the player still gets the same money this year, but the team prorates the 9 million over the length of the contract.   So if there was three years left, instead of 9 million on the cap this year, it becomes 3 million this year, 3 million next year and 3 million the last year.   

Basically trading cap space in the future (where the cap goes up) for cap space now.