Author Topic: NFL 2023 Offseason Thread  (Read 46735 times)

Re: NFL 2023 Offseason Thread
« Reply #330 on: June 02, 2023, 11:33:44 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
The AFC is just too good for a team like the Pats to do well unless Mac is somehow a top 10 QB. I just don't see them doing well.  The AFC East and AFC North are the 2 best divisions in the sport and the AFC West may be the 3rd best (I'd go NFC East as 3rd as there is no Raiders level team in that one).  The Patriots could be a significantly better team this year, but have a worse record and still finish in 4th in the division.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #331 on: June 02, 2023, 11:38:37 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Adding Hopkins to the Patriots would make our offense look a lot more potent.

Hopkins-JuJu-Bourne-Parker-Thornton with Henry-Gesecki the TEs, and Stevenson-Montgomery-Robinson-(Strong or Harris) as the RBs? Yes please.

If the O-Line is simply "solid" our offense can make noise. Not like BUF/KC but definitely enough to compete against better teams.

Prob as good as the Chargers. Now the question is is Mac Jones good enough to bring them to the playoffs after that dud season last year

Mac will be fine. I'm not saying he's Allen/Mahomes/Burrow but this guy and the entire offense last year was screwed over by Patricia and Judge. Having Bill O'Brien, Klemm and an improved O-Line will do wonders. He showed real flashes in 2021. I don't think he regressed Year 2 because he just sucks. We'll see but I'm confident in him. Some of the reporters have also already said that practices right now look much more smoother and better than last year. Go figure!

I hate Joe Judge, but he is a good Special Teams coach and it sounds like he'll be with that unit this season, which is fine by me. Special Teams also cost us a few games and was brutal last year.

I think that Mac Jones is highly reliant on the OL (like all QBs, really).  The OL is a far bigger factor than the receivers.  Jones really was not good in the pocket once there was pressure around him.  Better QBs can instinctively step up or otherwise make an adjustment to buy another half second or second.  Zappe actually did this a little better than Mac Jones last season.

I have my concerns on Hopkins.  Not sure what he has left.  I just don't know.  I wonder if teams could have him run a 40 or the shuttle to prove he still can run.  Seems teams never do this with FAs.

« Reply #332 on: June 02, 2023, 02:05:21 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
However, NBC Sports Boston’s Phil Perry spoke with multiple league sources and revealed Friday the potential concerns if Hopkins were to sign in New England.

“He is not thought to be, I’m told, a ‘program fit.’ Hopkins ‘doesn’t practice,’ ” an offensive assistant told Perry. “That sentiment was echoed by others who identified the Patriots as a ‘rigid’ working environment where an emphasis on intense preparation is the modus operandi.”

The offensive assistant also told Perry: “That’s not him. He’s never been that guy.”

« Reply #333 on: June 02, 2023, 05:51:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Reports out today that the Eagles and Seahawks had a deal last summer for Wilson, but he would only waive his no trade for the Broncos. Imagine how much different last year is if Wilson went to the Eagles.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #334 on: June 14, 2023, 02:19:25 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
According to Howe, there's "optimism" the Pats will sign Hopkins this week. He's visiting them today and tomorrow (a 2-day visit)

PLEASE get it done!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #335 on: June 14, 2023, 02:36:10 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Reports out today that the Eagles and Seahawks had a deal last summer for Wilson, but he would only waive his no trade for the Broncos. Imagine how much different last year is if Wilson went to the Eagles.

Some of the best trades are the ones that were never made. I imagine the Eagles are extremely grateful that Wilson wouldn't waiver his no trade clause.

« Reply #336 on: June 14, 2023, 02:41:59 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
According to Howe, there's "optimism" the Pats will sign Hopkins this week. He's visiting them today and tomorrow (a 2-day visit)

PLEASE get it done!

Add Hopkins and I'm a believer.  Protect Mac and this team will be quite good.     

« Reply #337 on: June 14, 2023, 03:04:36 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Some of the best trades are the ones that were never made. I imagine the Eagles are extremely grateful that Wilson wouldn't waiver his no trade clause.

As a Broncos fan this news makes me sad.

« Reply #338 on: June 14, 2023, 04:57:40 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

PLEASE get it done!

I think that will be the greatest thing that Boston Sports fans will hear all year long.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #339 on: June 17, 2023, 09:30:00 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Patriots CB Jack Jones arrested for carrying two loaded guns in his carry-on luggage

Need to cut this guy. Just stupid and irresponsible.

« Reply #340 on: June 17, 2023, 09:34:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Patriots CB Jack Jones arrested for carrying two loaded guns in his carry-on luggage

I never understand people doing this, as many times as I've seen it.  Bringing a gun through airport security is about the last place you should try it.  It's not the same as trying to get a can of beer into a Celtics game.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #341 on: June 17, 2023, 09:48:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I never understand people doing this, as many times as I've seen it.  Bringing a gun through airport security is about the last place you should try it.  It's not the same as trying to get a can of beer into a Celtics game.
Stupid doesn't quite cover this!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #342 on: June 17, 2023, 09:53:36 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White

Stupid doesn't quite cover this!

He was also involved in commercial burglary at a Panda Express, and had failing grades in ASU.

Sounds like he could be good friends with Ja Morant.

« Reply #343 on: June 18, 2023, 11:42:37 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Jack Jones heard the Pats fans say "we need more weapons" and took it literally...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #344 on: June 18, 2023, 02:20:49 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Well he can get 2-10 years of prison time, so barring any drastic changes between now and Tuesday, he as good as gone.

Bring in Marcus Peters or Eli Apple...they're still available!