Author Topic: 2024 NFL Draft  (Read 7447 times)

Neurotic Guy and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: 2024 NFL Draft
« Reply #75 on: Yesterday at 02:49:48 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I think it would be hard to quantify what a hit or bust is.

For example, if MHJ averages say 750 yards a year for the next 7 or 8 years, is he a bust? No of course not. I just wouldn't call that a hit either.

Going by the contract also seems silly.
#JKJB

« Reply #76 on: Yesterday at 06:12:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

For example, if MHJ averages say 750 yards a year for the next 7 or 8 years, is he a bust? No of course not. I just wouldn't call that a hit either.

In the terminology the Athletic uses, he'd be a "reach", but not a bust.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #77 on: Yesterday at 08:20:29 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

What do people think the chances are that MHJ turns out to be a bust? I’d probably go with about 10%. This is why I hope the Pats take him at 3. Drake Maye on the other hand seems like he has 75% chance of being a bust. Obviously both are positions of need, but MHJ seems about as close to a sure thing as you can get.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #78 on: Yesterday at 08:37:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

What do people think the chances are that MHJ turns out to be a bust? I’d probably go with about 10%. This is why I hope the Pats take him at 3. Drake Maye on the other hand seems like he has 75% chance of being a bust. Obviously both are positions of need, but MHJ seems about as close to a sure thing as you can get.
There is no way Maye is at 75% to bust. More like 20%. Daniels is far more likely to bust based on college, his fast huge rise, etc.  Maye has been projected as a very high pick for multiple seasons. Those guys bust at a mich lower frequency.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #79 on: Yesterday at 08:49:25 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

Hard to know what the exact odds are.  But if Maye is more like 50/50, I'd be inclined to role the dice with the QB prospect than the better-odds WR prospect.

« Reply #80 on: Yesterday at 08:59:28 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

There is no way Maye is at 75% to bust. More like 20%. Daniels is far more likely to bust based on college, his fast huge rise, etc.  Maye has been projected as a very high pick for multiple seasons. Those guys bust at a mich lower frequency.

No way is Maye only a 20% chance to bust. He regressed this season. I don’t think any of the QB’s in this draft are close to being a lock.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:19:28 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #81 on: Yesterday at 10:04:04 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

No way is Maye only a 20% chance to bust. He regressed this season. I don’t think any of the QB’s in this draft are close to being a lock.
Depends on how you define bust and what the other options are.  If he hangs around the league as backup for 10 seasons, that certainly isn't what you want from a top pick but I wouldn't call it a bust. 

« Reply #82 on: Yesterday at 10:18:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Depends on how you define bust and what the other options are.  If he hangs around the league as backup for 10 seasons, that certainly isn't what you want from a top pick but I wouldn't call it a bust.

If a top-3 pick turns into a career backup, I'd call him a bust.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #83 on: Yesterday at 10:27:07 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Then don't reach for QBs or anyone for that matter.  Maye isn't a top-3 talent in this draft and he certainly isn't top 3 in chance of having a successful career. 

Edit - Maye did little in his college career to inspire confidence in his NFL potential.  Against a pretty weak ACC schedule his performance in the tougher games should raise concerns.  Now maybe he just needs a couple more years of development but is he going to get that as a top-3 pick? 
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:40:03 PM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #84 on: Yesterday at 10:44:22 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Agreed. I was about to type the same thing.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:00:59 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #85 on: Yesterday at 10:58:51 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Then don't reach for QBs or anyone for that matter.  Maye isn't a top-3 talent in this draft and he certainly isn't top 3 in chance of having a successful career. 

Edit - Maye did little in his college career to inspire confidence in his NFL potential.  Against a pretty weak ACC schedule his performance in the tougher games should raise concerns.  Now maybe he just needs a couple more years of development but is he going to get that as a top-3 pick?

Yep and it does.

« Reply #86 on: Today at 12:40:58 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Agreed. I was about to type the same thing.

Yes clearly a top 3 pick as a career backup is a terrible outcome.

« Reply #87 on: Today at 01:50:42 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Despite Robert Kraft not being involved in draft process, Jonathan Kraft is heavily involved in the draft process for New England.

How to turn a fanbase against you in four months.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)