Author Topic: 2023 NFL Draft Thread  (Read 12344 times)

Re: 2023 NFL Draft Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2023, 10:17:46 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm surprised that Wilson is projected to go in front of Anderson.  I thought that Anderson was the safest pick in the draft, as close to a guaranteed Pro Bowler as you can get.

I'll also be interested to see if the Texans move up to take a QB from #12.  I could see the Bears trading back if Jalen Carter is off the board and the blue chip tackles are off the board.

But, Jalen Carter is the biggest wild card.  He'll be taken in the top-10, but will it be Seattle, Detroit, Chicago or Philly?  Or a trade up?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2023, 11:12:08 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I saw this as I was surfing for draft news (this isn't all that new):

If the Patriots want to mend fences with Mac Jones, drafting a wide receiver in the first round of the upcoming NFL draft would be a step in the right direction.

It led me to a thought.  What would be a better for Mac, better receivers or a better offensive line?  To me, it is the latter.  The best thing they can do for Mac is shore up the line.

« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2023, 11:24:48 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

If the Patriots want to mend fences with Mac Jones, drafting a wide receiver in the first round of the upcoming NFL draft would be a step in the right direction.

It led me to a thought.  What would be a better for Mac, better receivers or a better offensive line?  To me, it is the latter.  The best thing they can do for Mac is shore up the line.

I do agree that a solid offensive line is essential. However, could there be a simple solution? The line was good for Jones' rookie season. Last year, Matt Patricia took over as the offensive line coach, changed the scheme and also switched the left and right tackles. Isn't the simple solution to just move the tackles back to their natural positions, and go back to the line scheme that worked for years?

I think this team needs top end talent, so I would take the best player available with the 14th pick. I don't really mind if they start trading back afterwards, when the difference in prospects starts to blend.

« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2023, 11:26:38 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

I agree. With a top shelf O-Line I think Pats have a pretty decent receiving core as is (still with trade and later in draft possibilities).  Mac with time looks dangerous to me.  Guy is accurate and it would be great to see him play with some confidence that he's got time to look for 2nd/3rd options.  Also, Pats RB position is strong -- create holes!

« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2023, 11:30:26 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Russini reporting that the Cards are shopping the 3 pick

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2023, 11:37:10 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm not getting fooled another year. We'll hear all the rumors, but the Pats will either take a CB or OT with pick #14, or they'll trade down and select one of those in the late 1st.

I'm fine with a #1 CB or OT btw (either Paris Johnson Jr or Broderick Jones). But all the rumors about QB, or trading up for a Top-10 pick. Not falling for it. And I'm fine with Mac Jones. The coaching screwed him and the entire offense last season.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2023, 09:01:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Come on Carter.  Make it to #9.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2023, 09:46:02 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Patriots are on the clock.

Never mind. F'n traded.

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2023, 04:32:59 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Suprised the thread died here last night. The pick is in, welcome to New England Christian Gonzalez. Might just have been the steal of the first round.

Belichick managed to pick up a 4th for his trouble moving down and screwed over the Jets in the process.

Gonzalez seems like unequivocally great value at 17. Excellent size and moving ability for the position, has the tools to offer our already strong CB core a new look in the backfield. Good pick.

« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2023, 08:07:46 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I had predicted that they would pick an offensive tackle but it seemed that a bunch were picked ahead of their pick.  The Steelers picked an OT with 14 after the trade.  I guess the Pats didn't like that tackle.  Anyways, probably got the player they wanted all along, at one of their positions of need, and added a 4th round pick.

Gonzalez ran a 4.38 40, so plenty fast.  This is the draft, so you never know, but this seems like a great athlete to add to the defensive back mix.

From here on, lots of picks.  I am guessing a receiver with their 2nd and/or 3rd round picks.  Still probably plenty of good options at the WR position.  Maybe a guard or center, I still see OL depth as a need.  Then who knows.  I think they will be adding some OL depth but they don't have a lot of glaring needs, at least not that can be addressed in the 4th round.

« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2023, 09:47:59 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Value wise, the Pats got a steal.  It was a classic "need v. BPA" pick, and they went with BPA.  Very smart.

I think the Eagles had an amazing first round.  Jalen Carter and Nolan Smith are both potentially studs.

Detroit puzzled me.  They start at #6, with some excellent players available.  They trade down to #12 and pick an RB?!  I don't think I saw a single mock that had two RBs going in the 1st, let alone both inside the top-12.

« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2023, 09:55:30 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Value wise, the Pats got a steal.  It was a classic "need v. BPA" pick, and they went with BPA.  Very smart.

I think the Eagles had an amazing first round.  Jalen Carter and Nolan Smith are both potentially studs.

Detroit puzzled me.  They start at #6, with some excellent players available.  They trade down to #12 and pick an RB?!  I don't think I saw a single mock that had two RBs going in the 1st, let alone both inside the top-12.

Are you happy with the Bears trading down a slot with Carter sitting right there for the taking? OL was def a need but, man, if Carter plays to his potential and keeps his head on straight….

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2023, 10:10:00 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I may be wrong but in 5 years, none of these QBs pick won’t be starting (Young, Stroud, Richardson)
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2023, 10:11:30 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Are you happy with the Bears trading down a slot with Carter sitting right there for the taking? OL was def a need but, man, if Carter plays to his potential and keeps his head on straight….

If I was the GM, I would have taken Carter.  But, ultimately, I can't be upset with a GM for passing on a boom-or-bust talent while picking up an excellent OT and getting a free 4th.

That said...  the Bears need to find a DT somewhere.  They invested a lot on LBs in free agency, and LBs are useless without a defensive anchor in the middle of the defense.

The really bad trade Poles made was the Claypool deal.  I'd feel a lot better if the Bears were on the clock right now, where they'd have some top tier talent left.

« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2023, 10:14:51 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

The Bears started all this by trading the #1 pick.  They traded a $10 bill for a bunch of $1s and then traded one of them for some quarters.  I get the strategy.  In Football, getting that one high pick isn't the same as in basketball.  But if Carter turns out to be a star, they may regret this.  The historical percentages favor what the Bears did though, in terms of how to rebuild.