Author Topic: 2023 NFL Draft Thread  (Read 12097 times)

Re: 2023 NFL Draft Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2023, 05:39:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bears trading #1 for #9, second rounder, 2024 #1, 2025 #2, D.J. Moore

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2023, 05:40:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I like the package for Chicago. DJ Moore is a very solid throw-in on top of a big pick influx
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2023, 05:46:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I like the package for Chicago. DJ Moore is a very solid throw-in on top of a big pick influx

Yeah.  I didn’t want to drop back that far, but it’s a solid package.  Moore will help fields.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2023, 05:58:58 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

Yeah.  I didn’t want to drop back that far, but it’s a solid package.  Moore will help fields.

I think it’s a very solid return for the Bears. IMO, this draft has more depth than front end talent. I think they can still get their guy Carter at 9.

Carolina should stink again next year, so that 2014 1st is a nice score.

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2023, 06:23:09 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I think it’s a very solid return for the Bears. IMO, this draft has more depth than front end talent. I think they can still get their guy Carter at 9.

Yeah, if Carter falls, the trade goes from strong to brilliant.

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2023, 07:04:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah, if Carter falls, the trade goes from strong to brilliant.

Well, Warren Sapp fell to #12.  Never say never.

CAR was a feisty team last year.  It wouldn't shock me to see them hover around .500 so my guess is that pick ends up being in the teens.

But I think Chicago played this right.  They got the draft capital & picked up a bonafide WR.   And they have a boatload to spend in FA.    Ryan Poles is playing this well so far.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2023, 07:35:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
That's a good trade for the Bears, but it's also a great one for CAR as well assuming they now pick Young or Stroud as their franchise QB. To go from #9 to #1 is pretty good. Meanwhile, Bears stock up on picks but also they get a LEGIT weapon for Fields. I hope the Pats can give Mac Jones a real weapon as well this offseason. The one thing about the 2021 QB class is that a lot of these guys have had a legit #1 WR and real weapons, except for Fields and Mac Jones.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2023, 12:04:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I do wonder if Carolina should have gone after Lamar.  Seems like they may have been able to get him giving up less than they did to move up to 1.

Also, keep an eye on San Francisco.  Some rumblings they are going to make a play for Lamar.  They'd be amazing if they landed Lamar.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2023, 12:09:42 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I do wonder if Carolina should have gone after Lamar.  Seems like they may have been able to get him giving up less than they did to move up to 1.

Also, keep an eye on San Francisco.  Some rumblings they are going to make a play for Lamar.  They'd be amazing if they landed Lamar.   

I agree.  I know that rookies are cost-controlled, but they're also completely hit or miss, and take time to develop.  Mock drafts are projecting 4 QBs in the top-8, and I don't understand that when Baltimore is okay moving on from Jackson.

Of course, the counterpoint is, if Jackson is a top-10 QB, why is Baltimore trading him?  Other teams are probably squeamish about the same things:  his style of play + the inability to stay healthy + his contract demands.

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2023, 01:03:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I agree.  I know that rookies are cost-controlled, but they're also completely hit or miss, and take time to develop.  Mock drafts are projecting 4 QBs in the top-8, and I don't understand that when Baltimore is okay moving on from Jackson.

Of course, the counterpoint is, if Jackson is a top-10 QB, why is Baltimore trading him?  Other teams are probably squeamish about the same things:  his style of play + the inability to stay healthy + his contract demands.
Yeah.  Baltimore has offered him a bunch of different long term deals (from what I've heard), but every counter he had was for a fully guaranteed contract.  I don't think any team will do that, at least at this point.  Maybe some team gets desperate, but they still have to have 50 million in cap space laying around.  I hope Lamar is back, but it might take Burrow re-signing (at less than a full guarantee) for that to happen at this point. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2023, 06:13:14 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Carter had his Pro Day today, and it was disastrous.  He’s added nine pounds since the combine, and couldn’t make it through skill drills, as he was cramping and winded.

At this point, the once #1 prospect could fall out of the top-10.

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2023, 06:16:04 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Carter had his Pro Day today, and it was disastrous.  He’s added nine pounds since the combine, and couldn’t make it through skill drills, as he was cramping and winded.

Would you still want Carter at #9?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2023, 06:20:27 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Would you still want Carter at #9?

I’m starting to have my doubts.  So many red flags, both in terms of character and work ethic.

If it came down to Carter vs. Paris Johnson, I think I’d lean Johnson at this point.

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2023, 07:15:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That is crazy to me, given the stakes. What is he doing!?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2023, 07:50:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

That is crazy to me, given the stakes. What is he doing!?

It's hard to tell.  It could be he's a punk.  It could be he's dealing with some depression after his behavior contributed to a teammate and another person dying. 

If I was his agent, I'd have him in counseling (maybe for show, hopefully to get him some help), and I'd get him a personal trainer.  He's costing himself tens of millions of dollars.