Author Topic: Wembanyama Sweepstakes  (Read 10209 times)

Re: Wembanyama Sweepstakes
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2023, 10:15:38 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Despite all his injuries is porzingas the best health outcome
Now for a 7’3 player? I guess mark Eaton stayed relatively healthy.

Kareem and Artis Gilmore had solid careers at just an inch shorter.

The guys over 7’3” that I remember were Shawn Bradley, Ralph Sampson, Mark Eaton, Rik Smits, Yao Ming and Manute Bol.

Sampson started out looking like Kareem but quickly trailed off after some injuries. Bradley and Bol were not stars and were both too fragile or unskilled to play a lot of minutes.

Eaton and Ming were both giants. Zach Edey coming out from Purdue is in that same range.

Smits had a nice jumper, so possibly the only one that would fit in the modern era. I think Sampson probably could. I think he had the athletic ability to play today, but would need to augment his skills. Playing more of an outside role might have improved his longevity by not having to bang under the hoop at 7’4” and 225lbs.

Smits, Ming and a lot of other 7 footers have had foot problems that required surgery. That seems like a common problem that cuts careers short.

I thought 7’3 was a fair cut off because if you get to 7’1 or 7’2 that is a much more common height. It also isn’t like wemba is close to those heights at 7’5. I don’t think edey is going to really
Be a player in NBA. He is painfully slow and doesn’t seem to have much of a jumper.
Do we know he's 7'5"?  NBADraft.net, Tankathon and Wikipedia all list him at 7'2".
He looks way taller than Gobert and Chet so guessing he is 7'5 in shoes.

Agreed. 7’3” with no shoes sounds about right.
According to Givony, last measurement is 7’5” with an 8’ wingspan.

With shoes on, 7’5” makes sense
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2023, 10:23:34 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Jeez, I was watching some of those highlights and the guy he was reminding me of was Tracy McGrady. The way he handles the ball, the way he gets separation, the step back jumpers, those long strides and finishes going to the basket off the bounce.

Plus that #1 jersey
I was more impressed with the touch inside and glass shots. He is somewhere in between Gervin and Jokic, not super smooth but not clunky either. At 7'5 that's easy buckets.

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2023, 10:29:53 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Jeez, I was watching some of those highlights and the guy he was reminding me of was Tracy McGrady. The way he handles the ball, the way he gets separation, the step back jumpers, those long strides and finishes going to the basket off the bounce.

Plus that #1 jersey
I was more impressed with the touch inside and glass shots. He is somewhere in between Gervin and Jokic, not super smooth but not clunky either. At 7'5 that's easy buckets.

The biggest worry for a man that big is durability. Can Wembanyama stand up to the NBA pounding?

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2023, 10:35:27 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Plus that #1 jersey

After making that post, I realized how much it was his post game / mid-post moves that was reminding me of McGrady. Wembayama moves more like a wing than a big man. Those long strides like McGrady. The ability to move in and out of the post into driving position. Great footwork with how he can pivot. Really well drilled.

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2023, 10:37:50 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
His body control is so impressive. A lot of those really tall thin guys even when they have good ball skills like Ralph Sampson lose their balance easily once there is any contact. He has much better footwork, agility and balance. He moves more like a thin 6-11 type guy like young KG or currently Evan Mobley.

« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2023, 01:07:35 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd definitely keep him at PF due to weight. And I would be okay with limiting him, as C's do with TL. Guys that tall tend to struggle with health.

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2023, 02:46:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
His body control is so impressive. A lot of those really tall thin guys even when they have good ball skills like Ralph Sampson lose their balance easily once there is any contact. He has much better footwork, agility and balance. He moves more like a thin 6-11 type guy like young KG or currently Evan Mobley.
Yeah, he doesn’t have that baby giraffe look that lots of the super tall guys have.

I would keep him as a strict 4, playing alongside someone who can cover the 5s with strength.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2023, 09:52:13 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 10:29:18 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2023, 11:12:08 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666

That’s not human.  Hope he stays healthy.

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2023, 07:27:01 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Long ? KD ?

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2023, 09:14:25 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Despite all his injuries is porzingas the best health outcome
Now for a 7’3 player? I guess mark Eaton stayed relatively healthy.

Kareem and Artis Gilmore had solid careers at just an inch shorter.

The guys over 7’3” that I remember were Shawn Bradley, Ralph Sampson, Mark Eaton, Rik Smits, Yao Ming and Manute Bol.

Sampson started out looking like Kareem but quickly trailed off after some injuries. Bradley and Bol were not stars and were both too fragile or unskilled to play a lot of minutes.

Eaton and Ming were both giants. Zach Edey coming out from Purdue is in that same range.

Smits had a nice jumper, so possibly the only one that would fit in the modern era. I think Sampson probably could. I think he had the athletic ability to play today, but would need to augment his skills. Playing more of an outside role might have improved his longevity by not having to bang under the hoop at 7’4” and 225lbs.

Smits, Ming and a lot of other 7 footers have had foot problems that required surgery. That seems like a common problem that cuts careers short.

I thought 7’3 was a fair cut off because if you get to 7’1 or 7’2 that is a much more common height. It also isn’t like wemba is close to those heights at 7’5. I don’t think edey is going to really
Be a player in NBA. He is painfully slow and doesn’t seem to have much of a jumper.
Do we know he's 7'5"?  NBADraft.net, Tankathon and Wikipedia all list him at 7'2".
He looks way taller than Gobert and Chet so guessing he is 7'5 in shoes.

Agreed. 7’3” with no shoes sounds about right.

Muresan…another giant.  Was he 7’7”?

He actually developed into a decent player before his body broke down.
Yup

« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2023, 01:13:37 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I’ve always envisioned him to the Spurs, so I’ll stick with that.

Good call, Roy. Think you were the first to say this on CS.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2023, 08:42:00 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I wonder how much longer Pop sticks around now…
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 09:03:55 AM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2023, 05:37:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I wonder how much longer Pop sticks around now…
It's an interesting time there. I assume he has some deadline for when he wants to give it up, but it all seems to be whispers rather than anything substantial. I think he would be intrigued to work with Wemby
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2023, 05:52:35 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Yeah, he doesn’t have that baby giraffe look that lots of the super tall guys have.

I would keep him as a strict 4, playing alongside someone who can cover the 5s with strength.

He used to play soccer as a kid and those guys have great balance and footwork.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D