Author Topic: Wembanyama Sweepstakes  (Read 9976 times)

Re: Wembanyama Sweepstakes
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2023, 01:44:48 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Porzingis' perimeter skills (dribbling, shooting off the dribble, off-ball movement) are nothing compared to Wembenyama's

How would Wembenyama compare to Dirk?
This is the guy I keep coming back to for him. I think athletically he's a lot more impressive than Dirk, but in terms of the combination of shooting, post moves and handling, that's the comparison.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2023, 07:42:56 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Porzingis' perimeter skills (dribbling, shooting off the dribble, off-ball movement) are nothing compared to Wembenyama's

This is the guy I keep coming back to for him. I think athletically he's a lot more impressive than Dirk, but in terms of the combination of shooting, post moves and handling, that's the comparison.
Wembanyama looks like a much better ball handler than Dirk was.  Dirk wasn't crossing people over like Wembanyama does.

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2023, 03:40:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Wembanyama looks like a much better ball handler than Dirk was.  Dirk wasn't crossing people over like Wembanyama does.
I think that is a function of speed/athleticism, but Dirk was absolutely using the dribble to get past people or get open jumpers. There's a reason KD was compared to Dirk coming out of Texas.

I think if Wembenyama continues to work on his 3PT shooting he could be Durant-like, maybe.

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2023, 04:16:46 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Despite all his injuries is porzingas the best health outcome
Now for a 7’3 player? I guess mark Eaton stayed relatively healthy.

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2023, 04:41:08 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
How far did Eaton get off the ground? 

Has Wembanyama had any significant injuries so far? 

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2023, 04:43:24 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89

Kareem and Artis Gilmore had solid careers at just an inch shorter.

The guys over 7’3” that I remember were Shawn Bradley, Ralph Sampson, Mark Eaton, Rik Smits, Yao Ming and Manute Bol.

Sampson started out looking like Kareem but quickly trailed off after some injuries. Bradley and Bol were not stars and were both too fragile or unskilled to play a lot of minutes.

Eaton and Ming were both giants. Zach Edey coming out from Purdue is in that same range.

Smits had a nice jumper, so possibly the only one that would fit in the modern era. I think Sampson probably could. I think he had the athletic ability to play today, but would need to augment his skills. Playing more of an outside role might have improved his longevity by not having to bang under the hoop at 7’4” and 225lbs.

Smits, Ming and a lot of other 7 footers have had foot problems that required surgery. That seems like a common problem that cuts careers short.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 05:01:29 PM by W8ting2McHale »

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2023, 05:04:50 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

The guys over 7’3” that I remember were Shawn Bradley, Ralph Sampson, Mark Eaton, Rik Smits, Yao Ming and Manute Bol.

Sampson started out looking like Kareem but quickly trailed off after some injuries. Bradley and Bol were not stars and were both too fragile or unskilled to play a lot of minutes.

Eaton and Ming were both giants. Zach Edey coming out from Purdue is in that same range.

Smits had a nice jumper, so possibly the only one that would fit in the modern era. I think Sampson probably could. I think he had the athletic ability to play today, but would need to augment his skills. Playing more of an outside role might have improved his longevity by not having to bang under the hoop at 7’4” and 225lbs.

Smits, Ming and a lot of other 7 footers have had foot problems that required surgery. That seems like a common problem that cuts careers short.

I thought 7’3 was a fair cut off because if you get to 7’1 or 7’2 that is a much more common height. It also isn’t like wemba is close to those heights at 7’5. I don’t think edey is going to really
Be a player in NBA. He is painfully slow and doesn’t seem to have much of a jumper.

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2023, 05:29:20 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I thought 7’3 was a fair cut off because if you get to 7’1 or 7’2 that is a much more common height. It also isn’t like wemba is close to those heights at 7’5. I don’t think edey is going to really
Be a player in NBA. He is painfully slow and doesn’t seem to have much of a jumper.
Do we know he's 7'5"?  NBADraft.net, Tankathon and Wikipedia all list him at 7'2". 

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2023, 05:45:18 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Do we know he's 7'5"?  NBADraft.net, Tankathon and Wikipedia all list him at 7'2".
He looks way taller than Gobert and Chet so guessing he is 7'5 in shoes.

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2023, 06:22:48 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Yeah I have read some stories he is trying to shrink his height but he definitely taller than 7’2 if you see him next to other players

He also got taller here is article that mentions that
https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/sports/how-tall-is-victor-wembanyama-nba-prospects-height-grows-again/2980600/?amp=1

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2023, 06:31:49 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

Agreed. 7’3” with no shoes sounds about right.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2023, 06:36:00 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Yeah I have read some stories he is trying to shrink his height but he definitely taller than 7’2 if you see him next to other players

He also got taller here is article that mentions that
https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/sports/how-tall-is-victor-wembanyama-nba-prospects-height-grows-again/2980600/?amp=1
He could be using a more cushioned sneaker/shoe which scales him up more. As we know foot problems are an issue for guys over seven foot. If I was him I'd be getting special ones made to make sure my foot is supported very well.

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2023, 07:29:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Jeez, I was watching some of those highlights and the guy he was reminding me of was Tracy McGrady. The way he handles the ball, the way he gets separation, the step back jumpers, those long strides and finishes going to the basket off the bounce.

Plus that #1 jersey

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2023, 05:21:53 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Agreed. 7’3” with no shoes sounds about right.
According to Givony, last measurement is 7’5” with an 8’ wingspan.

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2023, 05:33:50 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Can he play a full season & face the rigors of a NBA season? His body frame is not that ideal for that I don’t think, hopefully he proves me wrong
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin