Author Topic: Wembanyama Sweepstakes  (Read 9968 times)

Wembanyama Sweepstakes
« on: February 25, 2023, 05:17:45 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I am curious what team do you predict will get Wembanyama, verses where would you want him to go?

—————————

Prediction: Hornets

Want: Trail Blazers or Pelicans (Lakers Pick)
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Wembanyama Sweepstakes
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 05:22:33 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
Team > Odds for No. 1 Pick

Team 1 > 14.0%
    Team 2 > 14.0%
    Team 3 >14.0%
    Team 4 > 12.5%
    Team 5 > 10.5%
    Team 6 > 9.0%
    Team 7 > 7.5%
    Team 8 > 4.5%
    Team 9 > 4.5%
    Team 10 > 4.5%
    Team 11 > 1.8%
    Team 12 > 1.7%
    Team 13 > 1.0%
    Team 14 > 0.5%

I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 05:26:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’ve always envisioned him to the Spurs, so I’ll stick with that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 05:32:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This is who I want/see too.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 05:36:16 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Is he a 4 or a 5?

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 05:38:46 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Houston would be cool. Continue the tradition of great big men from Elvin Hayes to Moses Malone to Ralph Sampson & Hakeem Olajuwon to Yao Ming to Dwight Howard to Wembanyama.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 05:38:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Winnebago

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2023, 05:40:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Is he a 4 or a 5?
It's a tricky question. He's apparently 7'5", according to Givony and Windhorst, but he is also a spectacular perimeter player on offence. I think defensively he'd work best in that Robert Williams role - assigned to the 4, or otherwise the worst shooter on the opposition, and just roams.

7'5" with an 8' wingspan and the mobility to get around the court laterally would make him best suited to that kind of role, rather than getting hammered by Embiid / Jokic types.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2023, 05:41:41 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell

I think a lot of people are in the same boat because of what the Spurs have achieved over the past two decades, but I don’t see them as this amazing fit for Wembanyama.

Gregg Popovich is currently 74 years old and the famed Spurs management talent pool has been drained. They are a small market team that operates on a small market budget.

The Spurs roster is bereft of top tier talent (except maybe Johnson & Vassell).

Wembanyama is perhaps the best talent since Doncic & LeBron, thus you can expect a big upswing in wins his rookie year, which removes his team from the best draft prospects.

IMO, the San Antonio Spurs aren’t the perfect fit that some perceive for Wembanyama.

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2023, 05:52:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I think a lot of people are in the same boat because of what the Spurs have achieved over the past two decades, but I don’t see them as this amazing fit for Wembanyama.

Gregg Popovich is currently 74 years old and the famed Spurs management talent pool has been drained. They are a small market team that operates on a small market budget.

Wembanyama is perhaps the best talent since Doncic & LeBron, thus you can expect a big upswing in wins his rookie year, which removes his team from the best draft prospects.

IMO, the San Antonio Spurs aren’t the perfect fit that some perceive for Wembanyama.
Keldon Johnson and Vassell are both very solid players. I would be totally comfortable with them as #2 and #3 to Wembenyama as a #1. All three are ++ defenders, can shoot and can pass.

Tre Jones has made a very significant leap this season, and is just 23. Sochan is having a very solid rookie year, and Branham has averaged 19/4/3 on elite efficiency over the month of February.

I would be wary of mistaking their blatant tank job for a lack of talent. I also don't think they'll have issues coaching-wise - plenty of Pop disciples have had success recently, no difficulty in imagining whichever one takes over will too.

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2023, 06:11:45 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
Since Michael Jordan purchased Charlotte in 2006, these have been the teams draft positions:

2006: 3rd
2007: 8th
2008: 9th
2009: 12th
2010: no pick
2011: 9th
2012: 2nd
2013: 4th
2014: 9th
2015: 9th
2016: 22nd
2017: 11th
2018: 11th
2019: 12th
2020: 3rd
2021: 11th
2022: 13th

In 17 seasons, Charlotte has been in the draft lottery 14 times, and have yet to receive the first pick.

I just feel it’s going to happen this year.

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2023, 06:41:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If the question is what team is the best fit, I’d pick the Celtics.

But, the team I’ve consistently pictured in my mind has been San Antonio.

In terms of want, I used to say the Pels, to screw the Lakers.  But, that could potentially create a juggernaut.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2023, 07:12:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

In terms of want, I used to say the Pels, to screw the Lakers.  But, that could potentially create a juggernaut.

Has anyone had cihance to actually watch him? I’ve watched a number of his games. He did look pretty good in his most recent World Cup qualifying game for France, but he certainly doesn’t seem like he will make a big impact his rookie season. Someone like
Embid, Steve Adams, jokic, JV or any burly post guy would dominate him right now and foul him out in 15 minutes.

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2023, 07:20:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Has anyone had cihance to actually watch him? I’ve watched a number of his games. He did look pretty good in his most recent World Cup qualifying game for France, but he certainly doesn’t seem like he will make a big impact his rookie season. Someone like
Embid, Steve Adams, jokic, JV or any burly post guy would dominate him right now and foul him out in 15 minutes.
I watch him live fairly frequently - it would be a mistake to task him with defending those types of players. His nutrition team have the right idea IMO - targeted, slow, healthy weight gain in core areas, rather than trying to gain a lot of mass quickly and potentially overly straining.

I think he'll be similar to Mobley as a rookie, except 5 inches taller.

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2023, 07:34:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I watch him live fairly frequently - it would be a mistake to task him with defending those types of players. His nutrition team have the right idea IMO - targeted, slow, healthy weight gain in core areas, rather than trying to gain a lot of mass quickly and potentially overly straining.

I think he'll be similar to Mobley as a rookie, except 5 inches taller.

My memory is that Mobley had a closer to NBA ready body. His combine weight certainly looks low but wemby has like a dj qualls level of sleight frame right now.