Author Topic: Brandon Miller situation  (Read 5054 times)

Brandon Miller situation
« on: February 23, 2023, 03:37:40 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Makes me glad the c's are not in the lotto. Would not like him or his coach to be involved with the c's

https://sports.yahoo.com/analyzing-the-case-regarding-alabamas-brandon-miller-190452185.html

Re: Brandon Miller situation
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 03:55:27 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I have read bits and pieces but am still confused. So the gun used in the murder was Miller's but it seems that he returned them to the police (right away?) and essentially denounced it and blamed it on Miles. Is that correct?

Initially I thought that Miller was roommates with him and only told officials because he was there. Using Miller's gun seems to be a bit careless for Miller.

Was the gun itself also legal? Was Miller allowed to carry it?
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 03:59:45 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I read the letter/statement from his Lawyer.  I don't think it is as simple as he knew his friend was going to murder someone and gave him a gun knowing he was going to commit a crime.  Hard to know what really did go down though.  If someone leaves a gun in your back seat, you are going to give it back to him at some point.  Under what circumstance would it be OK to not give the gun back to its rightful owner?  Is someone supposed to make a determination about whether there was intent to commit a crime before you give it back?  And for how long?  If you return a gun to its owner, are you culpable for an hour, a day?

Again, I am sure I don't know all the details.  If it is something different than the gun being left in his back seat, if he went and got the gun from somewhere else and brought it to the crime scene, that seems different.

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 04:02:45 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
The coach reaching out to Ray Lewis for advice was pretty wild. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 04:07:24 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I have read bits and pieces but am still confused. So the gun used in the murder was Miller's but it seems that he returned them to the police (right away?) and essentially denounced it and blamed it on Miles. Is that correct?

Initially I thought that Miller was roommates with him and only told officials because he was there. Using Miller's gun seems to be a bit careless for Miller.

It was his friend's gun that his friend left in the back seat of his car:

Standridge said Miles asked Miller for a ride to a night club on the Strip, and Miles brought his handgun and left it in the back seat of Miller's vehicle.

And he claims he didn't know it was there:

"Brandon never saw the handgun nor handled it," Standridge said. "Further, it is our understanding that the weapon was concealed under some clothing in the back seat of the car."

Miller didn't go in the nightclub, Standridge said. Instead, Miller went to a restaurant to eat before Miles later asked Miller to pick up him to take him to another location to join friends. After an hour at the restaurant, Miller first gave a ride home to another individual before picking up Miles.

In the meantime, Standridge said Miles and "the individual with Ms. Harris apparently exchanged words."

"Without Brandon knowing any of this context, and as Brandon was already on the way to pick up Mr. Miles, Mr. Miles texted Brandon and asked him to bring him his firearm," Standridge said. "Brandon subsequently arrived at the scene to pick up Mr. Miles."

Standridge added Miller didn't get out of his vehicle and didn't interact with anyone in Harris' party, nor was Miller involved in a verbal altercation.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 04:42:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
So your friend is drunk and partying, texts you he got into it and to bring his gun, and he thinks it is a good idea to bring his gun.  Sure seems like an argument for some form of negligence leading to death or accessory to murder.  Probably not to the level of negligent homicide (since you would generally have to cause the death to be homicide), but doesn't smell right.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 04:44:21 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Standridge said Miles asked Miller for a ride to a night club on the Strip, and Miles brought his handgun and left it in the back seat of Miller's vehicle.

"Brandon never saw the handgun nor handled it," Standridge said. "Further, it is our understanding that the weapon was concealed under some clothing in the back seat of the car."

Miller didn't go in the nightclub, Standridge said. Instead, Miller went to a restaurant to eat before Miles later asked Miller to pick up him to take him to another location to join friends. After an hour at the restaurant, Miller first gave a ride home to another individual before picking up Miles.

In the meantime, Standridge said Miles and "the individual with Ms. Harris apparently exchanged words."

"Without Brandon knowing any of this context, and as Brandon was already on the way to pick up Mr. Miles, Mr. Miles texted Brandon and asked him to bring him his firearm," Standridge said. "Brandon subsequently arrived at the scene to pick up Mr. Miles."

Standridge added Miller didn't get out of his vehicle and didn't interact with anyone in Harris' party, nor was Miller involved in a verbal altercation.
Lawyer spinning up a story like crazy with that.  no matter what really happened (and that story seems like some liberties were taken), the kid's hoped-for NBA career took a major hit if not totally crapped out. 

The recent issues with Ja Morant's crew's interactions with the Pacers aren't going to help this kid's prospects either.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 05:09:14 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell

Okay, so if I am reading correctly, the gun was NOT Miller's gun. It was left in his car so he goes back and returns it to him. I read before that it was his gun but the killer was the one that used it. If latter was the case, I can see a negligence charge but if the gun wasn't his and he was simply returning it, I can see him being innocent.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2023, 05:19:07 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
So your friend is drunk and partying, texts you he got into it and to bring his gun, and he thinks it is a good idea to bring his gun.  Sure seems like an argument for some form of negligence leading to death or accessory to murder.  Probably not to the level of negligent homicide (since you would generally have to cause the death to be homicide), but doesn't smell right.

I thought he didn’t actually intentionally bring him his gun. He saw the message on his way and didn’t even know the gun was left in his backseat. When he realized there was something happening footage showed him just getting out of there immediately and not even witnessing the crime. Is this inaccurate?

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2023, 07:26:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
https://twitter.com/JournoRyan/status/1628502011317563392

Full biased report from his attorney and it is still bad for Miller. 

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2023, 08:07:07 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell

Obviously this is a very biased version of events but how does this look bad for him? A summary of him giving the guy a ride without knowing there’s a gun, then goes get food, gets a call requesting a ride again so he goes back and the guy shoots somebody while he’s in the car. How does this make him look bad?
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2023, 08:16:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Obviously this is a very biased version of events but how does this look bad for him? A summary of him giving the guy a ride without knowing there’s a gun, then goes get food, gets a call requesting a ride again so he goes back and the guy shoots somebody while he’s in the car. How does this make him look bad?
He knowingly brought a drunk person a gun after they specifically asked for the gun, he let that drunk person grab the gun out of his car, and that drunk person then used said gun to shoot into a car 8 times in which someone was killed. 

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2023, 08:17:16 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I thought he didn’t actually intentionally bring him his gun. He saw the message on his way and didn’t even know the gun was left in his backseat. When he realized there was something happening footage showed him just getting out of there immediately and not even witnessing the crime. Is this inaccurate?
Sounds pretty accurate based on what I've read.  This article has a good summary of the info Miller's lawyer has provided.  Not sure about Miller not knowing about the gun being in the back seat.  The statement was Miller never saw or handled the gun.  So it could be possible Miles might have said he was leaving the gun in the backseat.  One tidbit that I hadn't read anywhere else is that after leaving the restaurant Miller dropped someone off before going to pickup Miles. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2023/02/22/brandon-miller-attorney-alabama-basketball-star-fatal-shooting/11326467002/

Some will offhand dismiss the lawyer's statement; however, it represents Miller's account of the incident. With all the evidence available, the police would have been able to verify the accuracy of Miller's account to a large degree.   The key is the police conducted their investigation and the D.A. determined not to charge Miller with any crime. 

It is interesting that all the focus is on Miller.  Jaden Bradley, another Alabama basketball player, was involved and apparently, unlike Miller, was there during the confrontation. 

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2023, 08:20:45 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell

He knowingly brought a drunk person a gun after they specifically asked for the gun, he let that drunk person grab the gun out of his car, and that drunk person then used said gun to shoot into a car 8 times in which someone was killed.

The drunk person wasn’t written on his lawyer part, therefore I was wondering what makes it look back from that statement. Obviously if he was aware that he was drunk and he requested his gun then it’s obviously bad. Even if he was aware that he has drank but wasn’t drunk, I think requesting to come back with his gun is a reasonable request. If somebody forgets a gun in my car, I’m giving it back as soon as you I can since I don’t want to be caught with somebody else’s gun.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2023, 08:58:52 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Where are you getting that Miller knew the gun was in the backseat?  Miles had asked Miller to pick him up.  It was only later when Miller was already on the way to pickup Miles that Miles sent the gun text.  The lawyer statement is clear that Miller never saw or handled the gun.  So Miller may or may not have known the gun was in the backseat.  It isn't clear whether Miller even read the gun text.  I think I read somewhere that it was Davis not Miles who went in the backseat to retrieve the gun. 

I thought I read that there were 8 total shots with 4 into the car and 4 out of it.  The boyfriend in the car shot Davis twice.