Poll

Who had the better first 5 years

Brady
2 (25%)
Mahomes
6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Better 1st 5 years (of play) - Brady or Mahomes  (Read 2237 times)

Better 1st 5 years (of play) - Brady or Mahomes
« on: February 21, 2023, 12:04:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Stat - Brady - Mahomes

SB Wins - 3 - 2
SB Apps - 3 - 3
CCG Apps - 3 - 5
MVP's - 0 - 2
Yards - 20,906 - 29,961
TD's - 143 - 244
Passer Rtg - 88.6 - 106.2

So the question is simple, who had the better start to their career (years starting), the guy that won 3 SB's or the guy that is superior in everything else but only has 2 SB's. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Better 1st 5 years (of play) - Brady or Mahomes
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 12:11:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Mahomes would seem to win that discussion but let's see how he fares over the next 10 years (if he's still in the league).

I think Mahomes is the much better athlete and accomplishes more spectacular plays based on this athleticism but Brady's legacy has always been about his ability to just plain win and keep his composure under pressure.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 12:16:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm going with Brady, because Super Bowls are such a key component to evaluating QBs.  Also, Brady didn't have the opportunity to sling the ball like Mahomes does until later in his career.

If you just go by statistics, I'm sure a lot of guys produced more than Brady during his first five seasons.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 12:30:25 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Mahomes. 

Brady essentially had 3 careers, though.  '01-06, '07-'13, & '14-'22. 

The question is whether or not Mahomes will have parts 2 and 3.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 12:38:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Brady's the GOAT, hands down. But even as a Pats fan I have to say Mahomes.

Something to factor in is that those Patriots defenses in the early 2000s were really, really good too and helped big time.

But as Donoghus also said, it's true, Brady has had almost 3 HOF-level careers if you think about it. We'll see if Mahomes can have Parts 2 and 3. Brady was also iron man after the 2008 ACL injury, while Mahomes has already dealt with some big injuries. It remains to be seen if he can hold up through his 30s. Easier said than done. I remember when everyone was saying the likes of Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton, etc. would start a new dynasty and easily win 3+ rings, but ultimately they all kind of fizzled out due to some choking/injuries.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 01:12:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I posted this because of something that was said in the overrated athlete thread about winning titles.

I do think it is interesting that Brady is getting votes here, but I also think that the focus on winning championships, which is a relatively new development, has really allowed for the current climate, especially in the NBA.  What I mean is, if we keep telling players the only thing that matters is winning championships, then we really can't be surprised when they take regular season games off or don't try in all star games.  Why should a player care about any of that, if it doesn't matter to the media and fans or more importantly their legacy?  When you make the only thing that matters a title, then the only thing that matters is titles.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 01:17:46 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
I'm going with Brady, because Super Bowls are such a key component to evaluating QBs.  Also, Brady didn't have the opportunity to sling the ball like Mahomes does until later in his career.

If you just go by statistics, I'm sure a lot of guys produced more than Brady during his first five seasons.

Brady also didn’t have a Kelce and/or Hill caliber player early in his career either. Those guys have been arguably the best TE and WR in all of football.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.