Author Topic: Should we trade Pritchard now, or in the summer?  (Read 10526 times)

Re: Should we trade Pritchard now, or in the summer?
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2023, 10:19:52 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Anyone else think it is beyond silly that Payton asked for trade?   What is he going to do if we don't trade him, hold out playing?   That is the epitome of irony.

We have a contract, some people seem to think contracts do not apply to them.

No.   This is his career.   The best way for him to maximize his earnings it get to a team where he will get consistent minutes.   

And he is asking.   He is not holding out.   He is not causing issues in the locker room.   

« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2023, 10:29:57 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think everyone is undervaluing PP!  Personally, I think Brogdon is the one dealt and PP is kept and put into his role.  Right now, he's the best pure PG we have on the team.  He's also a 40% career 3PT shooter and averages just shy of 2 APG.  In his rookie season, when he started 28 games, he played 19MPG, shot 57/41 percent and averaged right at 8PPG.  Yeah, I'm dealing Brogdon ahead of PP and I'm trying to sign him to a good deal, what 8-10M per.  Maybe I then trade Smart too and let PP backup CP3!

If we trade Brogdon, I'd rather play bigger instead of using a smaller backcourt. So I'd use Smart & D-White as my 1-2 punch at PG and use wings at SG and SF. So I'd play Hauser ahead of Pritchard in fillin those vacant minutes on the perimeter.

I agree with this.  If we trade Brogdon, the most likely scenario is that RWill becomes a starter again and it is White that takes the bench combo guard role.  It will still free up minutes for Pritchard of course and I am fine with that.  You also have to keep in mind that if we trade Brodgon, we will get something back, probably either a wing who is better than Hauser or a PF/C who is better than Grant or Muscala, or potentially even both.  Brogdon's straight up value is a solid starter, which Brogdon would be on nearly any other team in the league.

It depends on who we would get for Brogdon but it could end up better for both the Celtics and for Pritchard, over trading Pritchard.

« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2023, 05:21:53 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No.   This is his career.   The best way for him to maximize his earnings it get to a team where he will get consistent minutes.   

And he is asking.   He is not holding out.   He is not causing issues in the locker room.   

My comment about not playing was sarcasm...

« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2023, 05:51:28 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Anyone else think it is beyond silly that Payton asked for trade?   What is he going to do if we don't trade him, hold out playing?   That is the epitome of irony.

We have a contract, some people seem to think contracts do not apply to them.

No problem with it. He just doesn’t have much leverage as you point out - holding out wouldn’t exactly hurt the team.  High paying pro sports is so different from everything else.  Really young people with very little context for what earning a living is like for most people.  Not anyone’s fault but can’t expect a contract for a 24 year old millionaire in a field with few options and a career span of about 10 years to mean the same thing as a contract in other contexts. He’s trying to maximize his limited window for money and athletic goals.